Best resort for solo traveller?

duh

cut me some slack
hi everyone, :wave2:

Im taking my first solo trip at the end of October. This might be a silly question but I was just wondering what is the best resort for a solo traveller? Or is there such a thing? ha ha. I just thought some resort layouts would be better than others for a solo traveller. Im thinking about staying at the values, although i would consider the moderate level too.

Personally I think your budget is more important than where you stay if you are staying on property. Luckily I'm a DVC owner so when I plan my solo trips I typically pick a resort closest to the park I plan on spending most of my time. For example if I am going to WDW for the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot I like to stay at either Beach Club or Boardwalk because they are within walking distance of the park. However, sometimes this is not possible and I just make due with whatever resort I am able to book. Have a great trip.

Last edited:
I'm also a DVC owner, and I agree that Boardwalk or Beach Club are great ones to stay at though not always possible. My fallback is Saratoga 100% of the time, especially on solo trips. I know that most nights as a solo I like to go out a bit later so the quick walk over to Downtown is really worth staying right there for me.

Personally I think your budget is more important than where you stay if you are staying on property. Luckily I'm a DVC owner so when I plan my solo trips I typically pick a resort closest to the park I plan on spending most of my time. For example would be during the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot I like to stay at either Beach Club or Boardwalk because they are within walking distance of the park. However, sometimes this is not possible and I just make due with whatever resort I am able to book. Have a great trip.

I agree with this. I will be doing AKV-K. It is my home resort, but I am a big fan of the bus service there. If I could get the G-Flo Villas for the first week of December I would do that, but even now at 10 months out it is fully booked. I even thought about a split stay, but nothing is available. I think it all depends on your budget and what you look for at a resort.

Thanks for the suggestions but as I said, im looking at values and moderates. Im leaning towards values thou. As much as I would love to stay at a deluxe, I just cant justify spending that much money just for myself.

Thanks for the suggestions but as I said, im looking at values and moderates. Im leaning towards values thou. As much as I would love to stay at a deluxe, I just cant justify spending that much money just for myself.

There is nothing wrong with value or moderate resorts because when it comes down to it the resorts are just a place to rest and sleep. Disney does a great job with providing transportation.

Reactions: duh
For moderates, I have never stayed here but I know a lot of people who say wonderful things about Port Orleans French Quarter. I know as a solid traveler my big concern is walking around alone at night through big open areas and I have heard that POFQ is a bit smaller compared to riverside so that would be my preference. I hope to stay there some time this year! :)

For values, I usually just stay at whatever resort is the cheapest because like a PP said, for me it is only there for sleeping and bathing lol. Cheapest usually means All Star Music, which I don't love but the price point is right. Again, it is very large and I hate that long walk from the buses to wherever my room is (usually on the opposite side of the resort), so since I have my car I just park next to my building and drive to the parks.

I have also stayed at POP and prefer it because of the more compact size

I just did POFQ this past October and it's an awesome resort. It's the smallest of the moderates and has beautiful landscaping and rooms. When I go back, I will do everything I can to stay there again. I also stayed at ASMo in the Toy Story sections (Preferred rooms). The Toy Story section was very nice and quiet.. but the beds were like sleeping on a door. If you don't mind a 'cheap' bed, ASMo Toy Story is good and less expensive and POFQ. Toy Story is far enough from the pool that you don't hear the noise, but close enough to the main building that it's not a hike to get to the buses.

Double vote for POFQ or POR - I did an 8 day solo trip, no parks back in 2009 at my home resort, POR. It is not just for sleeping and showering. There is so much to do. Yee-hah Bob in the lounge, outdoor pool lounge, DJ by the main pool, smores by the fire at night, 6 pools, beautiful grounds, and the water taxi to and from DTD. Every night I ended my late afternoon with a drink at the bar lounge at any resort, had dinner at the resort of my choice, took the bus back to DTD, walked around and shopped and then went back on the water taxi to catch the end of Bob's show. I read 4 books I had been meaning to read for awhile and one day, I only got up once to get food, put out the DND sign and never left the room. I finally made the rounds to every deluxe and most DVC resorts. It was heaven.

I'm doing my first solo trip in September and just booked POFQ! I've only ever heard good things about it!

I think POR or POFQ would be perfect for a solo trip! They are my favorite resorts and I love the grounds. Take time to explore... The walk to Riverside along the path is only 10 minutes and that is where all of the amenities are like boat and bike rentals, horse drawn carriage rides. For that time frame you are likely to get a good room discount at Riverside... POFQ room discounts are a little lower. I also love the difference between having a queen size bed, rather than a double at the values. The rooms are slightly larger with double sinks.

I suggest the French Quarter for a moderate. The resort is not too spread out and the bus service is good. :)

Reactions: duh
Coronado Springs is a very nice Moderate resort, with a beautiful lake and a nice Southwestern theme. It also seems more solo-friendly because it has a convention center on-site. I'd happily stay there again. But this year I'm thinking about trying POFQ.

I've been solo a number of times, I stayed at POR - Riverside for a couple of nights and felt completely safe there. As a matter of fact I got up early in the morning, almost before sunrise and jogged the entire grounds and felt completely safe. I've also stayed at Pop and felt safe there as well (although if given a choice between value and moderate I'd go moderate.) Pop does have a motel feel, the rooms are smaller and the outside halls seemed a little Holiday Innish to me. The moderates also have outside halls but they are just a tad more upscale. I stayed (I think) in the 60s building at Pop, which connected to the parking lot which was right beside the bus stops. Very nice after a long day at the parks to just cut across the parking lot to my building. I think any where you stay on Disney property is going to be safe.

When I went Mod (as a solo), I chose POFQ for the smaller size, easy layout, and "open" appearace - by that, I mean the grounds are more manicured (not as woodsy as parts of POR), the staircases are well exposed and the wrought iron railings make for good exterior sightlines. Nothing at POFQ feels too remote or isolated to walk home to after dark (if that's what you're looking for - it was something I thought about).

This year I'm going to visit POP with the idea that I might stay there in the future if I can figure out how to get the exact area I think I want.

I have gone on many solo trips and mostly I use the POP Century as my home base as I just can't afford to pay top dollar on my own. I get a preferred room so I am close to the main building so I don't have to walk too far at night (I am no longer a spring chicken and the shorter the walk after a day in the parks, the better). I feel perfectly safe there and like the idea that they have a large store onsite and the cafeteria is open fairly late so I can get a cup of tea on my way back to the room. There is also a great jogging path and you have the added benefit of the Art of Animation just across the lake to explore.
On one occasion (room discount time) I split my vacation and stayed at the POP for a few days then moved over to the Wilderness lodge, it was beautiful, but that hotel was a bit too wilderness for me at night.
I do like the POFQ too as some other people have recommended as you have the added benefit of taking the boat to Downtown Disney (oops sorry, Disney Springs)
Wherever you choose, have a wonderful time and enjoy your trip. You may actually prefer going solo after this! I know I do!

Viva Italia-Sept 2015-solo
Pop Century Sept 2013-solo
Animal Kingdom Lodge April 2013 +cousin
Disneyland April 2012+cousins
Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge May 201-solo
POFQ August 2010 +Mom and bro's family
POP Century April 2009 +cousins
Pop Century March 2008-first solo

Disneyland Christmas 2007+lots of family
+lots of other trips w/friends and family too numerous to mention:banana:

Last edited:
Value: Pop (Preferred Room)
Moderate: POFQ
Deluxe: Beach Club
DVC: BWI or VWL or AKV-Jambo

My last trip I stayed at POP and had a great location. Prefered room, not poolside, and near transportation. I think it was the 60s section, but I'm not sure. One thing to consider about POP is that the bus stop for POP is at the very last bus stop at the parks. Not a lot of fun at the end of a long day at the parks. :)

I've stayed at Pop twice solo so far and it was fine. I think the beds are too hard for me which is why I don't stay there every trip. I mostly go to POR or POFQ because I like the themes. Pretty much any resort works - I've done a few of the deluxes too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter