Best Resort for Resort only stay?

All of these suggestions are great. We are actually trying to intentionally avoid a MK area resort if we do this. We love the MK and visit it probably 5 to 6 times on a 6 or 7 night stay. We would be WAY to inclined to spend the money and go just seeing it so close.

POR. Gorgeous hotel! It has several pools, rental of water crafts and a boat that takes you to DTD.

In the evenings, the main bar even has a fun show with a piano player.

Loveee it there!!

We are doing the same thing for a few nights in January. We originally booked AKLV but have just changed to Old Key West. We just loved OKW so much when we went in Sept- the atmosphere was so laid back and we loved the little bar by the pool, the sauna and the hot tub :) Oh- and the boat to DTD is awesome :)

WL or AKL, and I'd do CL, so you can hit the lounge and break up your days. We did 3 nights at AKL, and had plenty WL has the walk or boat to FW, lots to do :goodvibes

If I were doing this, I'd pick AKL. They have a lot of resort specific activities.

Sunrise or Wanyama Safari

Wine tastings at Jiko

Kitchen tours

Animal feedings and enrichment activities

Cultural presentations

Story-telling in the evening.

As well as general animal watching while you sip a beverage of your choice or lounging by the pool, and a fitness center with spa services.

Did this a year ago Christmas. I called it the great hotel tour.
Stayed at AKL (My DVC home). So much to see and do at both Kidani and Jambo. It's out of the way and food options are good.

Took a buss to GF and stayed a while. Took the monirail to Poly, CR and then a buss to DTD. Went to the Boardwalk from there.

Could have taken a boat to POR too. Love Piano Bob. :goodvibes

So much at each place. Just riding the water taxi's around is fun. Have fun!

I would also say Beach Club/Yacht Club. They have amazing restaurants, are SUPER close to Boardwalk and all that it has to offer, and have hands down the best pool complexes on Disney property.

POR! We just stayed for 8 days and seriously hated leaving to head to the parks. We want to go back and just stay at the resort. :)

For non-parks stays, we've stayed at BC, BWI, Dolphin and AKL. No monorail resorts because we can't be that close to MK and not go to the parks! That's a bit of a problem in the Epcot area (Epcot is my favorite park) but it's not as hard for the kids as seeing MK right there.

So YC/BC is our first choice for a non-parks trip for reasons others have already mentioned - pool, activities, etc. - and the fact that you are within walking distance of all the shops and restaurants around Crescent Lake.

If seeing a park in your backyard is too difficult, then I'd go with AKL. I love having access to both the AKL pool and the Kidani pool (which are both great and highly entertaining.) And the dining options are wonderful - particularly Jiko and Sanaa. For us, the problem with AKL is that it's isolated and not part of a larger resort area. So it's perfect for us when we have a non-parks stay for one night or split with a stay at another resort.

DW and I are considering a resort only stay to "get away from it all" by ourselves for 4-5 nights. My question is, which resort has the most to do without leaving the resort? I was assuming it would be one of the Deluxe Epcot area resorts.

Thoughts?

I gotta say that I've read this post many times and have been reluctant to reply because I always have the same reaction: Why go to DW resort for a 'get-away' and maybe (hopefully?) one that you wouldn't leave?

I love BC, but paying the price of those resorts is because of all DW has to offer. Not just the theme parks, but all the other things like restaurants, WS, shows and music and fireworks, ...but for the cost, if I was looking for a resort-only stay I'd be looking at a lot of other places cheaper. For example. we're in CA so going to Hawaii is Cheaper than DW. East coast? well, I don't know, but I know they have a lot of resorts. Maybe even Caribbean? ...I can't really tell you what's cheaper, but if I was going to DW resort in hopes of not having to or wanting to leave it, ...well, I wouldn't.

I am not trying to be critical, Sparrow624. In a lot of ways I feel that I've missed your point entirely so please forgive me if I have.

JMHO, and hope you have a great time whatever you decide.:goodvibes

Missytara said:
I did an eight day, all resorts, no parks stay a few years ago and loved it. Never got bored once.

I stayed in a riverview room at POR.

Slept in every morning or hung out by the quiet pool and read. Took a park bus after lunch and transferred to a resort and just wandered around. Went to the lounge for a drink or two, looked at the Christmas decorations, had dinner and then took the bus back to DTD.

Wandered around DTD shopping or grabbed an ice cream at Ghiradelli's. Headed back to POR on the water taxi, hung out at the lounge each evening to see Yeehah-Bob.

It was one of the best solo trips I have ever been on, and I read four books I had been meaning to read for awhile.

This sounds heavenly! You just described my dream! Ahhhhhhhhhhh

I gotta say that I've read this post many times and have been reluctant to reply because I always have the same reaction: Why go to DW resort for a 'get-away' and maybe (hopefully?) one that you wouldn't leave?

I love BC, but paying the price of those resorts is because of all DW has to offer. Not just the theme parks, but all the other things like restaurants, WS, shows and music and fireworks, ...but for the cost, if I was looking for a resort-only stay I'd be looking at a lot of other places cheaper. For example. we're in CA so going to Hawaii is Cheaper than DW. East coast? well, I don't know, but I know they have a lot of resorts. Maybe even Caribbean? ...I can't really tell you what's cheaper, but if I was going to DW resort in hopes of not having to or wanting to leave it, ...well, I wouldn't.

I am not trying to be critical, Sparrow624. In a lot of ways I feel that I've missed your point entirely so please forgive me if I have.

JMHO, and hope you have a great time whatever you decide.:goodvibes

Not a problem at all. In fact, we could easily go to the beach or the mountains here in NC...but we can do that any weekend, so to us, it really isn't much of a "getaway." Not really big "beach" people other than one trip a year with family. We truly enjoy the Disney hotels and dining experience. I know it seems odd, but last time we were at Disney, we probably spent 3 of our 8 nights wandering the Grand Floridian and Poly grounds (taught us that we will never buy 8 day park hoppers again)...Everyone likes different things and we, for some reason, enjoy trying out the different Disney hotels and seeing what other areas have to offer.

Now, we would most likely heavily explore downtown disney, try the miniature golf courses, maybe play some golf, take a fireworks cruise, etc. things we have not done at Disney because we spend so much time in the parks.

Would depend on the budget. For a moderate, LOVE POR. Mansion side, with very relaxed, beautifully landscaped settings. Perfect for romantic strolls with your honey. And the walkways extend into the Bayou area, through all of that lush, shady greenery. Romantic at night, as well, with horse-drawn carriage rides available for hire. Ride the boat down to DTD...always lots to do/see/shop/enjoy/eat there.
On the other hand, there is lots to do at all of the resorts gathered around the waterway at EPCOT. Stroll the boardwalk, take in the entertainment. Pop into JellyRolls. Share a burger/shake at Beaches n Cream. Many places for good sit-down dinners. And, if you DO have any old tickets with days left over, you're only a stroll away from the IG and yummy TS Restaurants in WS.
Oh heck. Romance is wherever you make it at Disney. Just being together at the Happiest Place on Earth is darned romantic, IMHO. Enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter