Best Resort for Resort only stay?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Sparrow624, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Sparrow624

Sparrow624 "I believe as many as six impossible things before

DW and I are considering a resort only stay to "get away from it all" by ourselves for 4-5 nights. My question is, which resort has the most to do without leaving the resort? I was assuming it would be one of the Deluxe Epcot area resorts.

Thoughts?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

Might depend on what you like to do. Deluxe resorts will have more choices for restaurants on-site than Moderates. Epcot area resorts will have the Boardwalk nearby. YC/BC have storm-along-bay pool, but other resorts also have both theme pools and quiet pools. MK area resorts have recreation activities including watercraft on the lagoon; also beaches where you can see the water pageant in the evening and fireworks. Moderates have some of the same recreational activities as the Deluxes - POR has horse drawn carriage rides and surry bikes to rent, plus the boat ride to DTD. AKL has the safari right outside. WL has beautiful grounds to walk and a beach. The cabins at FW are quiet and private; several recreation options including a beach and carriage rides and horseback riding. I suggest you think of the things your and your wife want to do to relax at the resort, and then see what matches. Poolside or beach? Recreation or lounging? Sit down service at different restaurants each meal, or grab-and-go to eat next to the pool?

Enjoy your vacation!

4. Sparrow624

Sparrow624 "I believe as many as six impossible things before

Awesome Advice! Thanks.

5. ThroughLookingGlass

ThroughLookingGlass “Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzl

Grand Floridian has a spa and parasailing/water skiing. Honestly I believe you'd get terribly bored. Might I suggest a park hopper for at least one day and maybe going to Downtown Disney another? The resorts have restaurants, a pool, and a gift shop but that's kinda it :confused3 I'm all for spending a few hours in the afternoon when the parks are crowded swimming/lounging, but I think it'd get old fast.

6. Missytara

Missytara I'm all ears!

I did an eight day, all resorts, no parks stay a few years ago and loved it. Never got bored once.

I stayed in a riverview room at POR.

Slept in every morning or hung out by the quiet pool and read. Took a park bus after lunch and transferred to a resort and just wandered around. Went to the lounge for a drink or two, looked at the Christmas decorations, had dinner and then took the bus back to DTD.

Wandered around DTD shopping or grabbed an ice cream at Ghiradelli's. Headed back to POR on the water taxi, hung out at the lounge each evening to see Yeehah-Bob.

It was one of the best solo trips I have ever been on, and I read four books I had been meaning to read for awhile.

7. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

epcot resorts are too close to Epcot - could not stay out of the park
    same with MK resorts

AKL/AKV, SSR, and OKW

all are far enough away that you won't be tempted to go to the parks. and all have things to do - dvc resorts - akv, ssr, okw - have a community hall - which has lots of stuff to do and make.

all have pool activities. SSR and OKW are close enough to DD - so you can walk, bus or boat to DD.

8. Gorechick

Gorechick DIS Veteran

I vote for WL or POR due to the theming, rooms, amenities, and grounds.

9. goodferry

goodferry DIS Veteran

I would vote for SSR because there of the pools, the Spa, the great gym and the ability to walk to DTD.

10. Couchy

Couchy DIS Veteran

I would stay at BC. SAB never gets old. That pool complex is amazing. There are countless choice of restaurants at YC/BC with the Boardwalk a few minute walk away with more choices. Still more choices a mere 5 minute walk to S/D. The Boardwalk provides entertainment at night with games and shows along with surrey bike rentals. You can watch illumination fireworks on the bridge to the Boardwalk :thumbsup2

11. *Fantasia*

*Fantasia* <font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c

I was thinking more along the Disney cruise! :boat: :) A 4 night cruise to Bahamas and a stop at Castaway! :beach: A real beach where you can actually swim in it! (you're off limit at WDW beach)

12. KonaKaiTom

KonaKaiTom DIS Veteran

And to throw in my two cents and a monkey wrench -- why not FT Wilderness cabins? Altough the bedding is only a fullsize bed and bunkbeds in bedroom and a murphy bed in living room, otherwise the grounds are peaceful and beautiful and you can just sit on your private deck and enjoy the day or walk the grounds, etc.

If you want something more than that bedding, which I imagine most would unless traveling with kids, my personal favorite would be Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Tom

13. luvmarypoppins

luvmarypoppins <font color=darkorchid>I am debating whether to pu

I would probably pick Yacht Club or Beach Club if it fits your budget.

There is plenty to do around the resorts, swimming,hot tub, they have bingo and trivia by the pool too.

You can sit on the porch and people watch in a rocking chair. They have volleyball and ping pong too.

You could rent a surrey bike, go over to the boardwalk, see some of the higher fireworks.

Take in a movie and the campfire at night on the beach.

Have an ice cream at beaches and cream.

Rent a boat etc.

So much to do.

You can also take the buses and go to dtd or the other resorts like Poly and see the Water Pagent, MK fireworks and the Torch Lighting Ceremony and take a monorail tour. Stop in the GF and listen to the music etc.

Best of luck deciding. Enjoy your trip.

14. Disneyteers

Disneyteers Addicted To The Mouse

My first choice would be WL because its beautiful. There is also tons of activities such as boat and bike rentals, tours, and a jogging trail to the campgrounds at Fort Wilderness.

My second choice would be SSR because its so close to DTD.

15. Fantasmiss

Fantasmiss DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Lodge with savannah view! :)

16. FantasiaMagic

FantasiaMagic DIS Veteran

I would say one of the epcot resorts. I would stay at bc because they have such a great pool. In this area u have great restaraunts and the boardwalk 5mins away. :)

17. Piglets Mommy

Piglets Mommy <font color=blue>New Rule:<br><marquee><font color

I would pick BC or YC due to Storm Along Bay and close proximity to the whole Epcot/DHS area for dining and entertainment. As others said though, it would be tough to be so close to Epcot (my favorite park) and not go. I'd also strongly consider POR/POFQ or Saratoga Springs for their recreation options and ease of getting to DTD. Enjoy your trip! I know you will have an amazing time.

18. Mom2six

Mom2six DIS Veteran

We recently stayed at SSR in the treehouse villas. It was so pleasant and fun. I loved taking the boat to DTD and the resort was quite beautiful. You could definitely spend a lot of time in DTD.

However, no matter what resort you stay in, you can still utilize DTD and the Boardwalk. As well, several resorts have fun dining experiences/shows and that could give you the opportunity to explore other resorts, which could be quite entertaining.

I think a resort only vacation sounds like it could be fun and refreshing. I couldn't do it right now because of the kids, but maybe in the future. I love the theming and feel of the Disney World Resort hotels.

19. Sammie

Sammie DIS Veteran

Totally agree and add to that BBQ grills, 4 really nice pools, tennis courts, basketball, bikes, and golf. You will have a nice selection of places to eat at Downtown Disney and you can take the boat over to DD and then catch a boat to either OKW or Riverside if want to dine there.

20. Mamu

Mamu <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

I guess there are lots of choices.

1. A monorail resort would be a good choice. There are 3 resorts along the monorail line with lots of restaurant options. Also the monorail stops at the TTC and you can catch a bus to DTD. You will also get to see the nightly fireworks show and the electric water parade without entering the park.

2. Another option would be one of the boardwalk resorts. There are 5 resorts in this area with lots of restaurant options, plus the boardwalk has nightly entertainment.

3. AKL is another option with a savanna view.

Another option would be Bonnett Creek a Timeshare Resort in the Downtown Disney Area. It's a lovely resort.

Anyone of the four would be a good choice.

21. moray26

moray26 Disneyphile

Just to clarify, there is no bus to Downtown Disney from TTC. You would need to catch a DTD bus at one of the resorts.