Best Resort for 76 year old with advanced Parkinson's and other issues.

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Sheilby, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Sheilby

Sheilby Labels aren't my thing

His issue with places like Jamaica has to do with fear of having his 3 blond haired blue eyed boys kidnapped off the beach - I kid you not. There is no talking him out of it about certain places. He doesn't have a lot of "issues" normally so I figure there is no use arguing about it, if he doesn't want to go, we can find other places. I'll definitely look into the Grand Pineapple though, thanks for the tip.

That is my biggest concern. I will definitely have to think things through. I just don't know how handicapped friendly some of the AI resorts are though.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. minniebeth

minniebeth <font color=green>I count on y'all to keep me up t

This thread is very personal to me~ I say take your mom to Disney World!!!

What a perfect place to travel to that is not only one of the most handicapped friendly places to vacation, but one where many magical memories can be made.

There are so many things to experience besides rides, etc. Just the resorts alone are a wonderful getaway. Many of the restaurants are experiences in themselves, many fun attractions and shows she would be able to enjoy, and parades and fireworks. :cloud9: Most of all, a special time away with your family to be together, have fun and make memories of just being together! With photopass, you have built in photographers!

I can't answer where the best place to stay would be~ we've stayed at most of the resorts. All are handicap friendly and accessible, you will just need to research which will have the easiest access back and forth to where you want to go. I would not only go with which resort is most accessible, but with one that speaks to your family's hearts, especially if you'll be spending some down time. That's just as much a part of vacation as the parks you'll be spending time in.

Keep in mind, your mom may tire more easily away and out of her routine. Be aware she may even feel overwhelmed and make adjustments for that.
    I say go, spend a little more than you would like to if you have to, the effort is worth it, no matter how hard. Make the memories that you will treasure and cherish forever! Don't put off what's in your heart, because you'll never know what tomorrow brings.

My mom developed Parkinson's Disease later on in life~ she brought me to WDW when I was 7 after my dad passed away. It was the most healing time for us as we laughed and giggled and were wowed by the magic of Disney. She always talked about going back. I tried and tried when her Parkinson's was more advanced, to plan a trip to take her, but unfortunately a medical obstacle continued to get in the way of our actually going each time. She always talked about Wishes, and we would watch it on Youtube. We would always make a wish together, and it would always be to go see it for real together... She advanced too quickly, and the trip never did happen. I never see Wishes at WDW without her there in my heart with me.

It's not always possible, but now in life, I try to make my "someday to do list" my "to do list today"...:)
    Best wishes with planning whatever it is that will work for your family to make some awesome memories!

4. jillgunter

jillgunter Mouseketeer

Sounds like a lovely trip you all will have! They do stop some of those rides that have the moving belt for someone with mobility troubles. I have also seen a wheelchair boat on the ride in Mexico(donald one). There are lots of shows she could do just fine also. I hope she stays strong and you can all go next year.

5. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Thank you Sheiby. That is very kind of you!

6. Hisgirl

Hisgirl DIS Veteran

Hi! I wanted to pop in here and offer a suggestion. (My parents are 82 and 83 with various replaced parts and healed up broken bones )

When you are considering vacation spots, keep in mind our elderly parents can need medical care in the most inopportune times, and quite frankly, I would not care to take my parents to an island. If one of them fell, I would want them in the states where great medical care was available. Just a thought.

I'm taking both of my parents to WDW on October 20th. I, too, have concerns and intend to enforce 'rest time'. I'll be the Naptime Nazi! ;)

7. barbarabini

barbarabini Mouseketeer

We took my elderly in laws to the WL. My father in law cannot walk long distances and really did not want to ecv it.
    That said, they really had a nice time at the resort. The found it pretty, not too big (pool area). they watched the water light show, sat in the lobby, at a the restaurants, went to the character dinners with the kids and enjoyed it.
    For this reason, I might also recommended AKL - lots to see and do right in the lodge.

The ecv will be a big help, if she likes commandeering it.

8. TJA

TJA DIS Veteran

Being that you will need to go back and forth to your resort quite often, I agree with the others that BLT/CR is a great option for you. If you can swing it, a TPV will be a great memory for your mom (and the rest of you too!). Your mom won't miss out on Wishes because she can watch it right from her balcony.

I also think an Epcot resort would be ideal. It's a gorgeous area that she can enjoy. We took my parents to BC about 5 years ago and they still talk about it. Epcot is a short walk away and HS is a longer walk, maybe 20 minutes at a normal walking pace. If your mom enjoys dinners, it would be super easy to stroll into Epcot for dinner being that you enter Epcot in the back in the countries.

I don't think a bus-resort would be ideal with an ecv. The monorail is really nice and easy, and walking paths to parks are of course very ideal. I'd zero in on BLT/CR for walking path to MK and view of Wishes....or else an Epcot resort for walking to 2 parks and enjoying the atmosphere of that whole area.

9. sweetnjmom

sweetnjmom Mouseketeer

Thanks, Sheilby. I hope you are able to figure things out. :goodvibes

10. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

What about the Polynesian Resort? You would have the same access to the monorail plus the Epcot monorail is pretty convenient. Would the tropical atmosphere appeal? Just another one to maybe consider.

You are a fabulous daughter. :)

11. spiceycat

spiceycat <font color=blue>Own at BWV, VWL and BLT<br><font

BWV had no dedicated 2 bedrooms (only lock out - so 1-bedroom and studio).

BCV does - and yes they were surpose to be 2-queen beds in the 2nd bedroom - but either the design was wrong or the builder did not understand - so instead of at least 75 (forget how many 2-bedroom dedicated at BCV) 2-bedrooms were too small for the 2nd queen bed. Now think they could have put 2 double beds - so not sure why they did not do that.

now the sofa bed at DVC resorts is much more comfortable than a regular sofa bed. that say - would only put younger people on it - say age 50 and under.

the views at BCV - are not that great - BCV was put there as an after thought.

BWV - was not - it has some nice views.

BLT was where the north wing at the CR was located and it has wonderful views of the MK area and Bay lake

12. ArwenMarie

ArwenMarie DIS Veteran

Two double beds would definitely be better at those BCV units with the pullout in the second bedroom. The pullout is ok for kids.

For sleeping surfaces, I think you get the most at the BLT 2br...two queens, one king, a pullout queen in the living room along with the sleeping chair.

13. yarddecor

yarddecor Earning My Ears

Being on the monorail would be so much easier for you and your mother being able to get from MK and EPCOT to your hotel quicker and more comfortably. I think the buses would be very difficult for her to travel on. I went to WDW last summer post 2 foot surgeries and I would have loved the convenience of the monorail vs. a bus and then having to walk to your room.