Best program to use for email on a MAC

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by safetymom, Aug 28, 2009.

1. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Be gentle. I am a newbie. :) Is Entourage the way to go?

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cyberbox2

cyberbox2 DIS Veteran

Personally I like Mac mail. It comes with your Mac and is represented on your dock by the postage stamp with the eagle on it.

Very easy to use and setup, you can have multiple accounts and the stationaries are nice too.

4. Chapmanfam98

Chapmanfam98 Earning My Ears

I agree. Mail is an excellent program and is well integrated with other Mac applications.

5. sc9500

sc9500 Hile... Gunslinger...

Mail is a good program but it lacks any features. Entourage is a great program but it will be going away in the next Mac Office upgrade being replaced by Outlook.

6. kab407

kab407 <font color=deeppink>Still embarrassed by her mom

I also the the MAC mail. For what I need to do, it fits the bill.

Welcome to Apple/Mac world, Kathy. Once you get use to it you'll wonder what took you so long.

7. MinnieDiva

MinnieDiva Obsessive Trip Planner

Mac Mail has awesome junk mail filtering! I rarely get any junk mail, and it gives you the option to mark junk as such to prevent anything like it getting thru.

8. daneenm

daneenm Just call me Pollyanna ...

I use Mail also. Besides multiple accounts and LOTS of custom folders, I don't need many fancy mail features

9. DisneyCrazyX5

DisneyCrazyX5 <font color=red>Do you know any cats?<br><font col

I just use the mail through my internet provider - Embarq.

10. parrotheadlois

parrotheadlois DIS Veteran

I just use my Yahoo mail, maybe I'll try the one on my Macbook.

11. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

I also use the Mail app on the Mac. It works seamlessly with the Mac Address Book and even better for those of us who have iPhones, the apps can automatically sync over the air if you have a Mobile Me account. If you don't then you'll have to do an actual "plug in the phone" type sync.

We've got 3 Mac's in the house and 2 iPhones and this all works seamlessly for us. :surfweb:

12. MinnieDiva

I believe you can easily set up multiple website-based emails from the Mail app. I just use .Mac, but my dad uses comcast on the Mail app.

13. trivial

trivial Toronto, Ontario

I stopped using e-mail programs years ago, partially because I like to check my mail from multiple computers. I much prefer to have my e-mail service hosted elsewhere; I use and really like Gmail.

14. MinnieDiva

Again, I myself have not installed something like comcast, yahoo, or gmail on Mail, but that does not preclude the ability from checking email from another computer.....

15. Renysmom

Renysmom <font color=darkorchid>Just wondering what is goin

I switched to mac in October and really really struggled with the mail programs available.. I just really missed outlook express and wanted it back!!

I forced myself to use mac mail after trying Thunderbird and Entourage. Now I am use to it. The biggest thing I learned on the switch was to force yourself to use what Apple give you, I still question things but I ask lots of questions and have just about figured it all out.

16. MinnieDiva

There are great Mac forums out there that can helpwith and answer questions. Not as great as DIS boards, but they do the job and most of the posters reply in simple terms, not techie stuff that can't be deciphered.

17. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Thank you everyone. I am a big Outlook fan so I will make do with Mail until it becomes available for the MAC. I don't like online email accounts either. I have gmail but hardly ever use it.

18. jkornoff

jkornoff Earning My Ears

If you're looking for a more powerful mail program for the mac, check out Postbox.

19. dpuck1998

dpuck1998 <font color=blue>I'm innocent I tell you...innocen

I just use gmail (google) and yahoo. I prefer web based program.

20. sshaw10060

sshaw10060 DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

If you are a big outlook fan you could run it with Parallels or VMfusion under a windows OS. I also thing that Snow Leopard professional edition will support Microsoft Exchange.

21. jlmarr

jlmarr See you at Fenton's

I use MS Entourage at work - I always thought of it as just the Mac version of MS Outlook. I also have Outlook on my Windows machine at work and strongly prefer Entourage.

At home we use Mozilla Thunderbird, which is a descendant of the Netscape email module, which is "where we're coming from".

Also use Mac Mail for my mac.com email - not truly used to it yet.