Best price for Ipods?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Soupermom, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

I'm sorry. I know this topic has been addressed before, but I CANNOT get the search function to work anymore. So frustrating!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm looking for a deal on a new Nano for DD12, and maybe one for DH and I to share. I'm pretty sure I want the Nano model, and not a refurbished one. Has anyone found any good deals online or in a store? TIA!
    :wave:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. txaggiemomof3

txaggiemomof3 Mouseketeer

My mom bought us a video iPod for Christmas last year and the best deal we could find was actually through the Apple website (www.applestore.com). They had free shipping and free engraving on all ipods (I believe they have the same offer now). She also got an education discount because my stepdad is a teacher so that helped too.

BTW, I highly recommend the video iPod. It is more expensive but we love ours. I love being able to download tv shows (for me and my kids!) and the image quality is GREAT for such a small screen. It is bigger in size than the Nano but has a lot more features. Just my 2 cents :) HTH!

4. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

Ohhh! DH and I are both teachers....how do we go about getting the discount??

5. MyGoofy26

MyGoofy26 DIS Veteran

At the bottom of the www.applestore.com site there's a drop box for other Apple Stores. One of the first couple is US Education.

6. Princess Nancy

Princess Nancy DIS Veteran

We just bought ours at COstco. Here is why... the cost 142.99, not a big savings but still lunch money. More importantly Costco has a GREAT return policy. No questions asked. I know the Ipods have a one year warranty, but it is a hassel to get them changed out.
    Good Luck!

7. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

No Costco here in the 'boonies. I went to the Educators store, but no discount on the ipods that I could find. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

8. sammi6

sammi6 Walt Disney World is One of the Bare Necessities o

I got my son a video iPod for Christmas last year and about a month ago it stopped working. It still comes on but it will not download anything and it wiped out everything that we had already downloaded. I bought from apple.com and I have had no luck in getting them to fix it or give me a new one. So for now he doesn't have one. So I would recommond getting from Costco.

9. MyGoofy26

MyGoofy26 DIS Veteran

I don't think it shows as a discount. . . you'd have to pull up the regular store and compare the price.

10. Hedy

Hedy <font color=blue>I'm <s>22</s> 27 and I still kind

Ipods come with a 1 year warrantee, unless you've done something to break the warrantee, you should be able to get it fixed. I've had ipods (as well as earbuds) replaced.

11. Jeanne B

Jeanne B DIS Veteran

I'm having the same problem. The prices on the ipods in the education store are the same as the regular prices. They always used to be discounted, I've been meaning to call Apple to ask about it. :confused3

12. txaggiemomof3

txaggiemomof3 Mouseketeer

I don't know why they don't show a discount now? Maybe they aren't offering it on iPods anymore :confused3. I would definately call and ask though. They are still a good deal with the free shipping and engraving. Ours came really quick too!

13. 84disney

84disney Mouseketeer

I just got off the phone with an apple store rep. I have been looking for the discount for about a month for one of my DDs. Like you guys, the prices showed the same for all ipods on the discount/educator/student page, and the regular shopping page. I have purchased 2 w/ a discount for students in the past year. Tonight the rep said no more student/educator discounts for IPODS....the price has remained the same, and the quality has gone up...that's the new motto :confused3 . I was distressed and said, "The GBs are the same for the nano now as the one I purchased for DS last year for Christmas...what's the upgrade in quality?" He said, "Better screen resolution, longer battery, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!" Really, I would rather have the 20.00 discount, but I guess they feel the product has been improved. DRAG!! I wonder if the ones at COSTCO are similar to the ones I purchased in December and May of 2005-6, or if they are the ones that are of BETTER quality? He said no place would have them cheaper than the 190.00 on their web site. Anyway, I hope this helps. These were exactly the questions I had. I also s[poke to him about refurbished minis....old old ipods. If any of you want that info, just ask. :goodvibes

14. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

I was in Target about 3 hours ago.. they have the 2 gig for $149 ..... that is about the cheapest I have seen them.. Wal-mart had the 1 gig for $137.... but there is a big difference in the amount of songs it will hold....which matters to the kids....

15. 84disney

84disney Mouseketeer

Ohhh, I am talking about the 4G nano. My DD wants a pink one, that's why I asked the rep about mini ipods. Minis come in colors. The 2G does not come in color. It's plenty of memory for her, just not PINK :goodvibes !

16. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

I just checked on the apple site.. they are the same price as Target.. but.... if you are a teacher/school district employee.. you are a local government employee!! Go under that link for the discount.. it is $140 that way for the 2 gig & $187 for the 4 gig.. by the way, the 1 gig isn't on that site at all. 1 gig will hold 250 songs, 2 gig will hold 500 songs & the 4 gig will hold 1,000 songs....
    with the government discount, free shipping & free engraving... you can't beat it.. I just am not comfortable with the return policy??????

17. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

I called Apple this afternoon too and heard the same story. No longer giving discounts on IPODS at all. Never thought about going as a gov't employee though! For the poster who wanted color...Apple has a nice set of 5 colored "covers" (together in one package) for the Nano for $29 on the website. That should make your DD happy! I was going to get some...

18. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

How exactly do you charge these? Does it come with whatever you may need to charge? :confused3

19. MyGoofy26

MyGoofy26 DIS Veteran

They come with a wire that hooks right into the USB port on your computer to charge. Easy peasy!

And that stinks about the discount. I saved a good bit on mine. Of course prices have come down so my discount price is regular price now so that may be why they discontinued.

20. A Mickeyfan

A Mickeyfan DIS Veteran

What gig is yours?

21. Skatermom23

Skatermom23 DIS Veteran

Costco carries the 4G Nano in pink but NOT BLUE! Guess which one my darling daughter wants??? :rolleyes: