Best park to visit on rainy day

We have enjoyed every park during the rain at one time or another. A few notes, some repeated from PP's:

1. Embrace the park you're in. Don't leave no matter what you do. "Dance between the raindrops!" If you try to leave once it starts drizzling, you'll find the transportation lines nearly as bad as after parades and fireworks. As many have said, it's just rain. Plus, crowds evaporate as quickly as the rain comes and goes.

2. If you decide to go the poncho route, buy them ahead of time. The folded up packets take up little to no room in luggage not to mention a park bag or a pocket within cargo shorts (my personal storage place). Then if you do decide to toss them, you won't feel guilty for having spent $1 on them. Plus, you'll be able to pick your group out easier than sorting through the plethora of yellow Disney ponchos.

3. It doesn't always rain in all parks at all times. We have seen this before where it's raining at our hotel, but not at the parks (and vice versa). We don't alter our plans for this reason. Plus, Florida rain showers don't tend to last that long.

4. Tip from staying at AKL - the animals LOVE the rain for the most part. You often have a better chance of seeing the animals on KS or along MT during light mists or right after rain showers. That is second only to one of the early, early morning tours and right-after-RD.

We did DHS in the rain and found it to be very tolerable. As others have said, most of the attractions and queues are indoors or covered and the attractions are pretty close together. I think the walk between attractions at Epcot is pretty far, and I think AK would be even worse.

Thanks for the tips! The chance of rain has decreased slightly but I think we will be fine either way.

I'll add something about panchos, I wear glasses and can't see without my glasses. Can't see when they get wet either, thus panchos for me, more to keep my glasses dry. Trying to dry glasses with napkins, kleenex or ect tends to smear, and that doesn't work for me either. I buy the cheapies from the dollar tree and dispose of them. I certainly don't wag them around the park.

Hey, Gerri, just wanted to say hello. :wave2: Hope you and the kids are all well. A Happy, Healthy New Year.

we love to go to AK in rainy days. We discovered once that AK is usually deserted in rainy days and the animals love the rain. We saw a lot of animals. We just wear our ponchos and keep going.

MK does have lots of indoor attractions and things close together, and the lines are much more reasonable during the rain, but it also seems to have the most attractions that close down during the rain, like BTMR, SDMT, Splash Mt., and other outdoor rides. I have heard the rain does not affect the animals and sometimes more are out in a refreshing rain, but it is a huge place to navigate while getting rained on. IMO, I would go to MK and get the outdoor rides over first before the rains begin (or during the time the forecast says will be dry), maybe with FP, you need them for SDMT, BTMR, and Splash Mt anyway.

I agree with the advice to buy dollar ponchos if you must bring them! Then you can throw them away. My DH bought a poncho, and it was tedious to hang it to dry on the clothesline in the shower and bring home. I, instead, bought a cute Mickey umbrella for a couple of dollars more. Nice souvenir.
We like Epcot if it's rainy, or MK. At Epcot, my kids and I enjoy spending lots of time in the future world pavilions. The Land has a lot to offer, and they always love Innoventions (although I can't wait until more comes there - seems to be in flux right now). The Living Seas has a lot - matter of fact my DD would spend half a day in there (with me looking for a beer at least, LOL!).
Also, although a downpour can seem like the sky is falling, it usually doesn't last. We wear Chacos sandals and go with the flow.

I agree with those that say HS, not too many outdoor ones there

The one thing I will say about DHS in the rain is that while most things are inside, the air conditioning is still blasting. Had a very chilly lunch at Brown Derby after a nice walk in the rain from Tot. Also was freezing on the Gmr. We gave in after lunch and went back to the hotel to sit in the hot tub :)

DHS...lots of indoor queues and attractions...with a few exceptions each takes quite awhile, sometimes half hour or so for a show! My rule of thumb is to always carry the ponchos! They are light weight and you never know when you will need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter