Best Monorail Resort...

I can't picture my kids at the GF. They are loud. My 13 year old has volume control issues and then you add a toddler and possibly an infant...I think they'd kick us out! We want to stay there on a parents only trip sometime down the line. Kids have to be old enough to stay with grandparents though!

I think we'd like the theming of the Poly better, but I'm not sure if the theming would outweigh the convenience of walking to MK?

We went back and forth between the 2...I liked that Contemporary was walking distance and it was a little less expensive, but in the end, theming won. We knew we were going to be at the parks quite a bit, but also having a day at the resort and would be back daily to get a break from the heat and let the younger girls nap, so I wanted to really enjoy the scenery!

Poly & CR have the biggest rooms. CR is in one building. Both have better Coffee options then other resorts, imho. We liked how at Capt Cooks they had outside tables, do not know if they do at the CS at CR.

Kae

I can't picture my kids at the GF. They are loud. My 13 year old has volume control issues and then you add a toddler and possibly an infant...I think they'd kick us out! We want to stay there on a parents only trip sometime down the line. Kids have to be old enough to stay with grandparents though!

I think we'd like the theming of the Poly better, but I'm not sure if the theming would outweigh the convenience of walking to MK?

Actually GF handles screaming kids much better than ANY resort I have been at.. My son has autism and they were so amazing and friendly with him and truly made our stay magical!

All monorail resorts are amazing but the understanding and friendly manner which they handled my son makes it my top choice!

...Best Monorail Resort... Thoughts & recommendations? Thanks!
We have stayed at all the Monorail and MK deluxe resorts. The only right answer is the one that meets your requirements, expectations and budget. Discount rate availability, room availability and time of the year all matter. Also, many people are also driven by the resorts theme and transportation options. We enjoyed our stays at all of the monorail resorts. Prefer the views from PR and CR. Prefer the restaurants at GF and CR. Prefer the marina and transportation options at and from the PR. Viewing fireworks from the CR and PR. Worst parking for guest is at the CR and PR. Prefer the pool at the GF and PR. PR is the resort most likely to be overrun by non-resort guest around 4th of July, NYE amd pool hoppers.

I also have a family of 5. Now that the twins are of a ceertain age, we must book rooms at GF, CR, Poly, YBC, or boardwalk. We love all of these, but miss our old fav of the Wilderness lodge. Unless money s no object, I'd go WL while you can. You will have many years to spend at the other deluxe resorts. Unlike the AKL, WL is still easy to get back to from the MK and even EPCOT

partigus said:
I also have a family of 5. Now that the twins are of a ceertain age, we must book rooms at GF, CR, Poly, YBC, or boardwalk. We love all of these, but miss our old fav of the Wilderness lodge. Unless money s no object, I'd go WL while you can. You will have many years to spend at the other deluxe resorts. Unlike the AKL, WL is still easy to get back to from the MK and even EPCOT

Can you take a boat to both MK & Epcot from WL? My husbands main motivation in going deluxe is not having to collapse the stroller so often.

Why does the WL no longer suite your needs? Is it a space issue? Just curious as I will have a 14 year old and need a pack n play so space is definitely a factor for us. TIA!

We've done all three monorail resorts and would rank them in this order:
  1. Grand Floridian
  2. Poly
  3. Contemporary

We put Contemporary last because its always felt like an ordinary, cold hotel but with a great location.

We rate the GF and Poly higher because of the much nicer theming of the resorts and the rooms.

lovingeire said:
Can you take a boat to both MK & Epcot from WL? My husbands main motivation in going deluxe is not having to collapse the stroller so often.

Why does the WL no longer suite your needs? Is it a space issue? Just curious as I will have a 14 year old and need a pack n play so space is definitely a factor for us. TIA!

The boats at WL only go to MK & loop CR, WL, & Ft W. to get to Ep, DHS & AK, you will need a bus. The bus to MK was often quicker than the boat in the AM, as it is a very short ride.

The rooms at WL only allow 4, not 5 like most of the other deluxes. (Well except for the club level deluxe rooms that sleep 6 & are never ever included in the discounts! I know, I always check.)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

Thanks! I'm torn. DH is pretty set on CR, however we might travel with friends and they don't want to stay there. We have a bit to decide. I'm just worried that it would be easiest to stay at CR with two little ones vs taking the bus back & forth to WL because there is no way I'm getting two kids and a stroller off the bus on my own. I guess I could use the boat then so long as we're at MK. I was thinking of maybe doing WL at the holidays and CR or Poly for our January trip.

I posted this on another thread but I wanted to share it here as well......

We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

babyberger said:
I posted this on another thread but I wanted to share it here as well......

We have recently stayed at both WL and CR (and POR several years ago). I have to say I was hesitant to book CR because of the "lack of theme" and also the high price tag. But my DS begged me to and since it was only for a long weekend we decided to give it a try. I can't express enough how much we enjoyed CR. the sheer convenience of everything being so close was priceless. There were no winding hallways trying to get to elevators (like at WL), the grand concourse is so convenient for anything you could need or want. My kids loved watching the monorail go through the resort and after a long day watching the MK fireworks in our pj's was perfect!!! We loved having the monorail to MK or TTC for Epcot. Oh and the size of the rooms is worth the extra $ as well. DD loved sleeping in the day bed, which gave DS a queen size bed all to himself DH and I still prefer the feel of YC the most but we both agreed with kids CR wins hands down. We will be returning to CR in Feb :)

Thanks for pointing this out to me! I think I saw it on the Contemporary thread, but I'm not sure! I'm hoping I can talk our friend into it, or I guess they could stay at Poly if they wanted since its close and on the loop. Hopefully I can sue this gem to convince them to try the CR. I am really starting to think it will be worth it for the convenience! I like the idea of the day bed because our boys are 10 years apart so they really need separate sleeping spaces. 13 year old sleeps all over the bed so I can only imagine in a year what it will be like! Thanks again for the feedback!

lovingeire said:
Thanks for pointing this out to me! I think I saw it on the Contemporary thread, but I'm not sure! I'm hoping I can talk our friend into it, or I guess they could stay at Poly if they wanted since its close and on the loop. Hopefully I can sue this gem to convince them to try the CR. I am really starting to think it will be worth it for the convenience! I like the idea of the day bed because our boys are 10 years apart so they really need separate sleeping spaces. 13 year old sleeps all over the bed so I can only imagine in a year what it will be like! Thanks again for the feedback!

Growing up we actually did just that....my mom says we stayed at the Poly and our friends stayed at the CR, but I distinctly remember being in the CR arcade ;) but that was 20+ years ago. I remember being between the two resorts a lot with the two families. While it would be nice to he at the same resort, I don't think its necessary, especially when you can just hop on the monorail.

Try to remind them that Poly is spread out and there is more walking between buildings ;)

babyberger said:
Growing up we actually did just that....my mom says we stayed at the Poly and our friends stayed at the CR, but I distinctly remember being in the CR arcade ;) but that was 20+ years ago. I remember being between the two resorts a lot with the two families. While it would be nice to he at the same resort, I don't think its necessary, especially when you can just hop on the monorail.

Try to remind them that Poly is spread out and there is more walking between buildings ;)

That's not a bad idea at all me thinks! We're going for my oldest's 14th birthday and I'm hoping to do breakfast at O'hana on his birthday anyways. I'm sure they'd enjoy going back and forth. Now I just have to decide of we splurge for the TPV or do a quieter, and more cost effective, GW room...decisions, decisions!

We have only stayed at the Poly and CR and BLT. loved both!! :)

I loved being able to walk to MK. and on the way back... it is the first stop.

the Poly has Ohana and Kona.. 2 of our favorites.

That's not a bad idea at all me thinks! We're going for my oldest's 14th birthday and I'm hoping to do breakfast at O'hana on his birthday anyways. I'm sure they'd enjoy going back and forth. Now I just have to decide of we splurge for the TPV or do a quieter, and more cost effective, GW room...decisions, decisions!

We really splurged in Dec and did CL but a BLV room. We figured we got the best of both worlds, the serenity of Bay Lake, but then could hop over to the CL for the MK fireworks, etc. DH wouldn't even consider the GW because he felt that if we were staying at CR he wanted to be in the tower (now this comes from a man that would be happy if I booked all of our stays at an All-Star :p). We definitely loved the BLV and the kids enjoyed watching the EWP at night and being able to see Illuminations in the distance, but when a TPV room opened up at the AP discount and would only be $35/nt more than our BLV, I asked the kids which they would rather do and they jumped all over the TPV. They are 7 and 9 so the MK is still so magical to them as well as watching the monorail, etc.

Of course you need to book what fits your budget best, but I have to say for my kids at least the TPV rooms are magical pixiedust:

would wait until Disney fixes all the problems with the monorail before staying at a MK monorail resort - they are just too expensive - and if the monorail is not working then why stay there.

now CR and BLT you can still walk to the MK. WL and VWL you can boat over to the Mk.

We just got back from a stay at GF and we will not be booking another stay at a monorail resort until the monorail problems are addressed and fixed. It is too expensive as well as being a great frustration for those of us who use ECVs. During our stay, the monorail was down every day for at least a portion of the day. Using the boat launch is not possible because GF only uses a small boat that will not fit an ECV. That forces ALL people using an ECV to use the bus. Because the GF is not the first stop on most buses, often the bus is already full by the time it reaches GF. This causes a great many delays. We booked a bounce back at WL which has, in our opinion, superior transportation at a more reasonable cost.

I am in the same boat as you. We got back to our room the first night of our trip in May and I was already planning our next trip! We are looking to go back in early 2014 before trying for another baby, and are more than likely staying at CR. We will have a 4-year old and a 2-year old at the time and it would be awesome to just hop on the Monorail instead of waiting for a bus and having to deal with folding and unfolding a stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter