Best Moderate?

CSchex

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone! We are booking a trip in the beginning of January and I was wondering, what are your thoughts on the best moderate hotel? We have 2 boys, ages 14 and 11. We have stayed at the POR (before renovation, alligator bayou) and LOVED it! Highlights were the pool & fishing for the kids. Is there a better moderate choice?

We also have considered Wilderness Lodge because we love the outdoorsy, lodge theme. Is it worth the upgrade in price? We will be spending most of our days (4 out of 5) at the Magic Kingdom, and the idea of a boat ride is appealing.:dance3:

If it were me, I'd stay at Wilderness Lodge. We stayed there a couple years ago and it was gorgeous! And now it's been renovated!
I didn't expect to like it, but I was bowled over by the architecture, themeing, food, etc.

CSchex said:
Hi Everyone! We are booking a trip in the beginning of January and I was wondering, what are your thoughts on the best moderate hotel? We have 2 boys, ages 14 and 11. We have stayed at the POR (before renovation, alligator bayou) and LOVED it! Highlights were the pool & fishing for the kids. Is there a better moderate choice?

We also have considered Wilderness Lodge because we love the outdoorsy, lodge theme. Is it worth the upgrade in price? We will be spending most of our days (4 out of 5) at the Magic Kingdom, and the idea of a boat ride is appealing.

If WL appeals to you and you think you'll spend the most time there, then i think you should go for it.

Alternatively, CSR seems like a good mod for boys your age. My DS12 is super excited about the pool and the slide. Oh and the food too of course (nachos, churros, QS at the bar) LOL.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

I'm kinda partial or bias to CSR..Which I consider the best Moderate..

Honestly either of the 4 are fine, but I'd rate them like this:
1st CSR
2nd POR
3rd POFQ

a distant-->
4th CBR...

Heres why?

1st off: Pool . Each resort's main pool is nice, but the POFQ is a lil bit on the kiddish side. CSR nice theming & never ever crowded at all. POR Very nice as well w/ a nice side crowd during all hours. Same w/ CBR. POR's is nice and close to the main bldg, which is very convenient too. CSR a lil far but worth the beautiful walk.

2nd: Rooms. This fairly even for all. It all depends on your taste. I believe all have updated rooms now. I was fortunate to saty in them for POR & CSR. I loved both. POFQ I didn't stay in for more than a day. CBR never stayed inside.

3rd: Food area. I think by far. CSR Pepper Market. Never a wait to be seated. no more than 15 seconds .honestly. Also they bring u the drinks for a really small tip. (not a big deal) All the others were so darn packed & it really discouraged me. I felt like I was back at the values.

4th: Transportation. CSR definetley gets the nod again. Never once did we wait to or from any park or DTD. The fact that its a convention hotel helps. But Both the POR & POFQ have a nice boat ride to DTD. Bad side is the buses there. LOng long wait, especially from HS Fantasmic show. Both buses returning to the resorts from there were a minimum 7 or 8 buses. CBR felt just about average.

5th: Grounds. All are beautiful. POR & CSR stand out IMHO. CBR is spread out and the theming to me doesnt feel like Disney. Plus main Bldg is no where near anything. Check in area. POFQ is very small. Kinda claustraphobic if you ask me.

Lets put it this way: This is Disney, No matter which you choose, they will make it a magical time regardless. Have fun choosing & enjoy!

DizDaD7 said:
I'm kinda partial or bias to CSR..Which I consider the best Moderate..

Honestly either of the 4 are fine, but I'd rate them like this:
1st CSR
2nd POR
3rd POFQ

a distant-->
4th CBR...

Heres why?

1st off: Pool . Each resort's main pool is nice, but the POFQ is a lil bit on the kiddish side. CSR nice theming & never ever crowded at all. POR Very nice as well w/ a nice side crowd during all hours. Same w/ CBR. POR's is nice and close to the main bldg, which is very convenient too. CSR a lil far but worth the beautiful walk.

2nd: Rooms. This fairly even for all. It all depends on your taste. I believe all have updated rooms now. I was fortunate to saty in them for POR & CSR. I loved both. POFQ I didn't stay in for more than a day. CBR never stayed inside.

3rd: Food area. I think by far. CSR Pepper Market. Never a wait to be seated. no more than 15 seconds .honestly. Also they bring u the drinks for a really small tip. (not a big deal) All the others were so darn packed & it really discouraged me. I felt like I was back at the values.

4th: Transportation. CSR definetley gets the nod again. Never once did we wait to or from any park or DTD. The fact that its a convention hotel helps. But Both the POR & POFQ have a nice boat ride to DTD. Bad side is the buses there. LOng long wait, especially from HS Fantasmic show. Both buses returning to the resorts from there were a minimum 7 or 8 buses. CBR felt just about average.

5th: Grounds. All are beautiful. POR & CSR stand out IMHO. CBR is spread out and the theming to me doesnt feel like Disney. Plus main Bldg is no where near anything. Check in area. POFQ is very small. Kinda claustraphobic if you ask me.

Lets put it this way: This is Disney, No matter which you choose, they will make it a magical time regardless. Have fun choosing & enjoy!

VERY excellent points here. I totally agree with you. You were spot on with a lot of the stuff you said. clap! clap! clap! :)

Everyone has there own preferences when it comes down to "best", but I would say my favorite moderate after staying at all of them would be POFQ all the way.. with POR close behind! I love the small size of FQ, the boat to DTD, the theme, the grounds, the new renovated rooms w/ queen beds is a great plus. I love everything about this resort. POR has a better food court though, but that is not a deal breaker for me.. as long as I have my Mickey Waffle each morning, I am good!

I would love to one day stay at a Deluxe resort.. but I just cannot justify the prices at all. I did notice that Wilderness Lodge is the cheapest of the deluxe resorts in the MK area, so when I do decide to upgrade someday, it will be to WL. It is not outrageously priced like CR, GF or Poly and I have read nothing but great reviews from others who have stayed there.

Thanks everyone! I think if we decide to stay at a Moderate we will give the CSR a try. We loved POR, but the bus service was slow.
And that just keeps me from booking it again since this is a short trip, we want to maximaze our time in the parks. We've stayed at POP many times before and the bus service there is great!

The only mod we've stayed at is CBR and while we loved the resort and had a great stay, I would choose the WL if given the choice. We love WL for the atmosphere, the pool, that interior corridors, and the boat to MK. It's also great to be able to take the boat to the CR where we can shop, dine or visit there as well as hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at CBR again, but the WL would be our first choice between the two :goodvibes.

Having stayed at all of the mods, and given the age of your kids, I would say either CSR, or CBR. You sound like you want a change from POR, and honestly POFQ's pool is much more geared to younger kids.

We love CBR, but think its pool is also a bit geared to younger kids, but less so.than POFQ.

I think CSR, with its excellent pool scene, queen beds and great bus service would be a great choice!

The best moderate for us is POFQ!! We love this resort! :love:

VERY excellent points here. I totally agree with you. You were spot on with a lot of the stuff you said. clap! clap! clap! :)

Why thank you kindly for the nice words......Great minds think alike, Methinx..LoL:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter