Best Hollywood Studios Guide - Tips, Tricks, Must do's, Please Contribute!!!

Yes, there ARE two versions of the Great Movie Ride, one with a gangster and one with a cowboy.

I have read, many times, that you can get the Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls if you ask them, even if it is not on display. Also the Cobb Salad. I love the flourless chocolate cake there, it is under $2.50 and sells for much more at the Brown Derby and Wolfgang Puck's. SR tends to close earlier than most of the other places.

If you sit at the bench down toward the front of the park you can get a better view of HSM than closer up unless you are willing or able to stand or sit on the ground.

SG

Just Checking In.

I don't have time to do any updates but maybe tomorrow I will.

Enjoy and keep the info coming.

Thanks

Get FPs for Toy Story Mania early. The ride line tends to get long pretty quickly and the Fast Passes are generally out by mid day at the latest.

Yes, there ARE two versions of the Great Movie Ride, one with a gangster and one with a cowboy.

I have read, many times, that you can get the Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls if you ask them, even if it is not on display. Also the Cobb Salad. I love the flourless chocolate cake there, it is under $2.50 and sells for much more at the Brown Derby and Wolfgang Puck's. SR tends to close earlier than most of the other places.

SG

YES indeed there are 2 different 'shows' in GMR. The western one is better (in my opinion) AND more expensive. Lots of pyro. So of course they usually only do the gangster one now. I think they only do western if the parks are super busy.

And WOW i didn't know about the grapefruit cake! I've heard so much about it but never wanted to drop the $ on going to BD. THANKS! I'll have to give it a try. :thumbsup2

Can't add much to all the great posts. You can look for the following:

IMG_1426.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

enchantingodin, I know that I saw both versions in September so it must be one of those cutbacks I have been reading about. I guess folks who do not know will not miss it and those who do know will just have to be glad they have seen it and might again soon, I hope. :thumbsup2

Saw04, I love that collection of signs. May I please borrow a few for my collection? :worship:

BTW, I have found that you can get most things from the TS places if you ask nicely and they are able to fix it to go and a nice tip for the person who brings it to you is great also. There are many items from the TS places that can be bought for much less at their CS companion.

Slightly Goofy

Does any one have tips for the Star Wars weekends.
*Character Meet and Greets (Not Celebs)
*Storm Trooper Parade
*Jedi Academy

Does SWW change TSM. First trip need all the help I can get. We only have one day in the park

*Storm Trooper Parade
*Jedi Academy

Does SWW change TSM. First trip need all the help I can get. We only have one day in the park

Get there EARLY.

Did some updates on the Characters.

Looking for Memorable Photo Opportunities?

Memorable photo ops- In front of the hat! Also on your way to the Tower of Terror, there is a great picture opportunity there too. Luigi's garage for photos with Towmater and Lightning McQueen. A lot of people stop in line at TSM and get a picture with Mr. Potato Head.

Best Memorable Photo Opportunities

HELP. Still looking for some input.

- Mr. Potatoe Head at TSM (Is it a statue or a person?)
- Is Luigi's Garage still there? And what are the Character like?

Mr Potato Head is an animated display that tells jokes.

Luigi's Garage was there in Dec and the life size Tow Mater and Lightening McQueen cars are roped off and you follow the line to have the CMs take your pictures with the cars (using your camera).

Sci-Fi Dine In Theater is in my opinion not to be missed. Some of the CM car hops wear roller skates. It is a dimly lit "inside" drive-in theater where the guests dine in 1950 style convertibles. Actual old black & white movie science fiction movie trailers are shown on the drive-in screen (think Attack fo the 50 Foot Woman, They Came From Outer Space, etc). Really great milkshakes are served in tall glass with the accompanying aluminum mixer cylander holding the extra milkshake. Great hamburgers too.

:drive:

Made it back...

here are some of my tidbits...not sure if everything is new:confused3

*Storm Trooper Parade
*Jedi Academy

My SWW tips....

Now I am no expert only have experienced SWW once, but if we are ever in WDW again during SWW, we'd do it again but VERY DIFFERENTLY!!!!!!

1) IMHO you can not do DHS and SWW things in one day...you have to split it up. The Crowds are fierce!

Go to DHS during the week and do all your DHS goals and musts then come back on one of the SWW days to just do the SWW things ie character meet and greets, parade, etc.

2) if you only have one day...you will need to pick and choose what is most important to you...TSM, autograph w/ Jedi Mickey. not saying you can't do both...it would be tough

3) Jedi Academy is always there you don't have to do it just on SWW

4) Do Character meet and greets during the reg Studios parade.

5) Be on the lookout for roaming SW characaters...we traded w/ a JAWA and it was a highlight of our day.

Did some updates on the Characters.

Looking for Memorable Photo Opportunities?

* Pictures taken by the PhotoPass Photographers....

ie I think you can get one that is enhanced w/ Stitch climbing out of the ground/street

* if you line up just right on the Blvd in front of thr hat...you may be wearing it!

* Over near MV3D, the gift shop there in front of the huge Kermit is a nice one

* on the NYC back-drop, my DH and I have a collection of pictures of the 2 of us over our 6 trips to the Studios

* find a hat shop and take a pose

* the sidewalk area outside TGMR, see if your hand or foot matches any of the stars

Mr Potato Head is an animated display that tells jokes.

Luigi's Garage was there in Dec and the life size Tow Mater and Lightening McQueen cars are roped off and you follow the line to have the CMs take your pictures with the cars (using your camera).

Sometimes there are PP guys there too

Characters:

I think mostly all the Pixar or Toy Story Characters (w/ exception of Monsters) are now in the PIXAR PLACE area only...the cars are just by old Al's Toy Barn which now is Luigi's Garage...anyone else concur?

BEST PLACE::

to meet is in the Animation indoor hub...there are scheduled characters there throughout the day..but you never know who might just show up too! Just this past March 09 we saw over a dozen free roaming characters it was SPECTACULAR!

FOOD:

TS::

****ALWAYS GET ADRS!!!!!******

I have dined at Sci-Fi twice, very calm, quiet and cool in there...pretty good food too, be aware though some people don't eat in the cars...a few tables in the back.

50's PTC: have dined there once...if you don't care for that kind of campy humor or have bad memories of your Mom making you eat your veggies...not the place for you. But it's all in FUN!

The Brown Derby, have dined here once as well but 10 yrs back before kids...I'd like to try it again, but would eat there not w/ little ones...proabably not entertaining enough for them and it's pricing OOP or 2 TS credits on the DDP

H&V, dined here once as well w/ the characters for a 1st lunch seating. We all loved it, great food so many great hot and cold selections great kid selections...look at both sides of the buffet lines. Characters fun and good music in the room. Have little kids the place for you!

KIM Goliath doesn't sign, Jo-Jo will for him

Mama Melroses' sorry no info

CS::
commenting on just a few

SRC..is a great place for an in park bfast and if on the DDP...all snack credits YUM...huge portions! arrive pre-opening and go here first..you can even send one party member to gert FP's for a ride while little ones eat.

ABC Com...ok I agree the food isn't the best...but it is inside, generally not very crowded and comfy. We like to use it as a late day break and recovery eat place more than wow this food is superb. Plus if you like ABC shows you'll like the menu options...also KIM the menu pictures don't totally look like the real deal. as well DAIRY allergy? You can get soy milk juice boxes here...not on the actual menu but here. Had a little trouble getting it from the counter servers...confused...but it is here.

Pizza Planet: good place for adults and kids...can split meals here very easily. yes not the best pizza but quick and tasty and if your kids like salad...:thumbsup2

we like to eat upstairs...there is an elevator and restrooms up there too.

if you do the arcade have a time and/or $ limit in place ahead of time.

Rumors???:confused3

Ok read this stuff in the UG 09 book..so don't qoute me just keep your ears and eyes alert...

Walt's One Man Dream...could be closed in the future for futher expansion of the PIXAR PLACE area...SEE IT NOW why you can...it is a must do and even kids 8 and up would be intrigued by all the great facts about him!

HISTK movie playset...may get a facelift into a more current Disney theme ie PIXAR Bug's Life as well as the neighboring QS Studio Catering Co.

Motor Action Stunt Show as well in 011 may be closed for a revamp of theme and story line w/ a PIXAR Car's version...

I'll post some fav pictures later....

Thanks hope this is helpful and I never knew about the Singing in the Rain Umbrella...and that is one of my fav movies....

Wow!!

Thanks for all that info.

I Updated with some of the info and I keep the other info on file.

saw this on another thread today

Not sure if this will still be the case in Sept but for anyone coming soon we scored this week on characters! Still here in the world, and last night and tonight we went to studios and were in animation station (where incredibles and sorcerer mickey are). Yesterday to see Bolt and Rhino (who are done they tell me today), and all of a sudden, out comes Prince John, Goofy, Friar Tuck, Jasmine and Aladdin! Prince John my son has never seen so he was happy. We were ready to head out at abouy 5:25 talking about the surprise characters and someone said 5 new ones were coming out at 5:30 so we waited. And out comes Jafar, Meeko and Gov Ratcliffe,Chip and Dale, Minnie and Pluto. They said they are unadvertised sets and if they have them they are at 5 and maybe 5:30. Apparently they are training - someone - I think it was Pluto asked out loud what my son was handing him (my son mentioned this to me but I don't think he realized it wasn't a dog talking, even at 8 yrs. old).

We went back today at 5 to reward our son for trying RNR and we saw Pinocchio, Jafar, Ratcliffe, Friar Tuck, Sheriff of Nottingham and Prince John (together). At 5:30 it was The Queen (yeah!), Meeko and Pocohontos, Gov. Ratcliffe, Jasmine and Aladdin.

My DD's 1 and 3 loved this last year. It is an interactive show where the kids are encouraged to shout out during the show. All seating for the show is on the floor. There are a limited amount of bench seats along the back wall of the theater.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!