Best garden view room to request at GF?

DisLaw

DIS Veteran
Hi!

So excited for our first stay at GF!!

I have a garden view reserved and was thinking big pine key and maybe dormer? We are only 3 right now so not worried about feeling cramped. I like the charming look of the dormer rooms that I've seen online but not loving the enclosed balcony.

I was thinking big pine because I'd prefer to be as close to the main building and pools as possible in my category. But I keep thinking maybe there is another "better" choice?

I saw one video on YouTube (posted by "hairy chest" lol!) that showed what they said was a garden view but showed this awesome room with like an alcove in front of the windows with the couch in it then the balcony door was off to the side. That's not a regular garden view room is it?

Sorry for all the questions! Just want this to be as special as possible!

Thanks

Well I answered one of my questions that video was of a deluxe garden view, a category I didn't know existed!

So back to my original question, best garden view (non deluxe) room? One adult 2 teens with sweaty memories of long walks to busses and front desk at
POR last summer

It depends on your definition of best. Everyone's is different. But from your last sentence I would request "close to transportation".

If you request Big Pine Key, make sure you don't end up with a view of the back of the pool house. That's the only reason I've never requested BPK. We've stayed garden view in Conch Key and Sago, and tpv in Boca Chica. Lovely views.

I'd start with an unobstructed view. They may have more suggestions on the GF thread.

I agree with @Aurora0427, I had a room in Big Pine Key that actually viewed the Tiki Huts of the Poly - it was a free upgrade to Lagoon view, but the next time I had garden view in BPK, I had a spectacular view of the back of the pool house. Best true garden view room we've enjoyed was Sago, we had a lovely view of the marina and the courtyard between the marina and Gasparilas.

Tom

Hi!

I have a garden view reserved and was thinking big pine key and maybe dormer? We are only 3 right now so not worried about feeling cramped. I like the charming look of the dormer rooms that I've seen online but not loving the enclosed balcony.

I was thinking big pine because I'd prefer to be as close to the main building and pools as possible in my category. But I keep thinking maybe there is another "better" choice?

I saw one video on YouTube (posted by "hairy chest" lol!) that showed what they said was a garden view but showed this awesome room with like an alcove in front of the windows with the couch in it then the balcony door was off to the side. That's not a regular garden view room is it?

Thanks
That room you are talking about is a deluxe room in BPK. I stayed in that room and as another post said, the rooms below that do indeed have a lovely view of the pool house. Maybe you can request a top floor room in that building?? The view is then of the pool mostly. The location is great though. I hear a lot of people mention Boca Chico as a good location too.

I think I was in an upper floor of BPK (4th floor) and it was a really nice view of the pool, the grounds and we could see the top half of the wishes fireworks too.

Thanks for the ideas! Any thoughts on a dormer room? Since they're top floor maybe I'd have better luck not getting a view of the back of another building :)

Thanks for the ideas! Any thoughts on a dormer room? Since they're top floor maybe I'd have better luck not getting a view of the back of another building :)
We had a dormer room in Sago Cay last fall. As a PP mentioned, it was a beautiful view of the courtyard in front of Gasparilla's and of the marina. And then you sit down...and all you see is sky and rooftops.

If having the feeling of space is important to you, then go for the dormer room. It certainly felt spacious even though the square footage was the same as any other room. But if a view from the balcony is important, don't ask for a dormer room.

The dormer rooms are not my favorite. I hate the balcony. We ended up switching from a marina side dormer in Sago to a lake/monorail view bc my then 3.5 year old had to stand on a chair to see over the balcony. We spent a lot of time on our balcony that trip bc it was December and cool.

Hi!

Thanks

HairyChest is on the Dis -- maybe he'll pop in and answer your questions. :)

But, following, as we have a garden view room coming up in April.

The dormer rooms are not my favorite. I hate the balcony. We ended up switching from a marina side dormer in Sago to a lake/monorail view bc my then 3.5 year old had to stand on a chair to see over the balcony. We spent a lot of time on our balcony that trip bc it was December and cool.
I was thinking that the balcony being closed in might make the room seem darker somehow too?

It been dreaming of this trip for so long I'm trying to make everything perfect which I know is never a good idea! I just don't want to get stuck with a view of another building and I also don't want miles of walking like we had at POR. Ill keep thinking but I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts!

Well I answered one of my questions that video was of a deluxe garden view, a category I didn't know existed!

So back to my original question, best garden view (non deluxe) room? One adult 2 teens with sweaty memories of long walks to busses and front desk at
POR last summer

Yes, the deluxe rooms are a bookable category (for both outer building and main building CL). They have the same decor as standard, but are larger.

My favorite outer buildings are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both buildings overlook the courtyard pool and are very convenient to the beach pool and main building. As the pp mentioned, some rooms in BPK have a view of the back of the pool house, but you can always request "high floor" (although I don't think that pool house view is all that bad, especially compared to some room views at other deluxe resorts). As for long walks, the GF isn't as spread out as it seems and none of the outer buildings are far from the main areas/transportation. With that said, BPK and BC are closer to the main building/monorail, while Sago and Conch are closer to the boat launch/buses. The GF is a beautiful resort and is great no matter which building your in, so I'm sure you'll have a great time :wizard:.

I just don't want to get stuck with a view of another building and I also don't want miles of walking like we had at POR. Ill keep thinking but I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts!

I think Boca Chica would be a good request then, as it's kind of in the middle of everything with no bad views :).

Keep in mind that if you check in and are assigned a room/view you don't care for, you can always ask if a different room/location is available. It's not guaranteed your room can be changed, but it never hurts to ask ;).

I was thinking that the balcony being closed in might make the room seem darker somehow too?

It been dreaming of this trip for so long I'm trying to make everything perfect which I know is never a good idea! I just don't want to get stuck with a view of another building and I also don't want miles of walking like we had at POR. Ill keep thinking but I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts!

With the money spent at the GF, I expect my stays there to be close to perfect, and if they aren't, I say something. The GF has always made it right.

Even if you stay in Conch Key, you won't have the walking that you had at POR. The Grand just isn't as big. We stayed in Conch Key last trip, and my mom was in Boca Chica. CK is the building that's furthest out, and it was hard on me, but only because I was 7 months pregnant. Normally, no issue. Sago is my favorite building- it's close to Gasparilla Grill, the boats, and the busses. It also felt closer to the main building as well. We love looking at the marina/lake/monorail, which is why when we book garden view, we request Sago or Conch Key. We usually only do one pool day, so being close to the Beach Pool isn't a huge deal.

My Mom LOVES the GF dormer rooms. She claims that they feel larger, are more authentic to the Victorian theme and she likes to be on the highest floor with nobody in a room above her. Personally, I prefer the regular balconies, but it isn't a big issue as both style rooms are lovely.

We haven't had a bad room at the GF yet and we've stayed in Big Pine Key, Boca Chica, Sago key, Sugar Loaf and RPC. I think that the only one that we haven't stayed in is Conch Key and I would probably be inclined to stay away from that one as it is so close to the boat dock that the horns nay be a noise issue.

BTW, we have also stayed on the first floor and loved that as well. We had a family of ducks living in the bushes just outside our balcony rail. They were so cute. We had a TPV and it was beautiful!

The one thing that I would request is an unobstructed view. We have been looking directly into a tree twice, and while we weren't excessively bothered by that, it wasn't a perfect view. It was still pretty enough for me - we didn't bother to move rooms or bother to complain.

Good luck! Like Mickeynut1 said, you can always ask to switch to another room if you aren't pleased with the one that you are assigned. They will move you if they are able.

Enjoy the GF! It is a beautiful resort!

The one thing that I would request is an unobstructed view. Enjoy the GF! It is a beautiful resort![/QUOTE said:
Thanks! I'll call to add unobstructed view to my requests. I'm getting so excited for this trip!

And I have no problem asking for a room change if I'm unhappy. I've done it at the BC and WL and it wasn't a problem. Just didn't do it at POR since I didn't realize what a pain the walk was until after the first couple of days.

Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!

Don't worry about the walking. None of the buildings are going to be a hike like at the moderates. The dormer room balconies are more private, but they are smaller. I think for a first trip I would try the regular balcony room and see if I liked that first. The big decision I guess would be if you want to be on the ground floor or not.

I do not totally agree with freediverdude post about walking distance. The farthest rooms can be a 7-10 minute walk. Just on our last trip in November we had a great room in Boca Chica, it was at the end of the hall, and it took about 10 minutes to walk to the monorail or buses, and about 7-8 to Gasperella's. Our family does not mind walking and actually like walking through the resorts and enjoying their themes. But I do know a LOT of people on DIS describe a 10 minute walk as "forever":laughing: We did not want a dormer room because their balconies have a solid wall where our youngest DD would not be able to see over without standing on a chair:eek:. You will have a great time at GF, it really is a wonderful resort. Pic of dormer balcony.

Dormer.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!