Best Fish Extender gift received?

Thank you all for your inputs. We have been on several Disney Cruises and have not yet done a Fish Extender Exchange. Every time we are onboard, i tell myself "We need to participate in that next time". So proud that we are officially signed up and participating on our next cruise. I want to do a gift that is meaningful so your inputs on things that you liked the most are much appreciated.

Hello neighbor :wave2:

I live near EDH, and you will have a wonderful time finding inspiration for the FE's. I just came back from the local farmer's market, and you can get some great ideas just by walking around there. Walking around Old Sac, Placerville, and even the Folsom historic area might stir up some ideas. :)

Just a thought...Think about how many you can make and pack in your luggage. We had a large FE group last year and it took 3 carry on suitcases to bring them from the West to East coast. And then we had to buy one more suitcase to bring all the goodies back with us! :beach:

Have fun, I think personalized magnets are great, photo frames, and a Diser even made jewelry with a "Dream" charm on it. :goodvibes

Good Luck! :flower3:

Hi
The best gift we ever recieved on one of our cruises was from "FirstTimers".
They gave ziplock baggies filled with what I thought was at first weird.
We didnt participate on our first cruise so I didnt know what to expect. The baggie was filled with rubber bands, zip ties, a pen, bandaide, paperclips.
At first I thought "ok...". We ended up using that baggie all the time! They were experienced cruisers and they just knew! It was so practicle and yet just great! If youre out there Firsttimers, thank you again!
We have recieved many of the things listed above and my kids are older now but they love just seeing whats in the FE!
Ive many on other cruises and none of them have done this and I think its just fun.
We will be going on our 5th next yera, on the Fantasy, and Ive already started thinking about what Im going to take!
BTW, I do save everything and alot ends up in the scrap books. Its nice to remember a person who even if they did just go to a dime store, still took the time to do it!:grouphug:

Something I am keeping my eyes peeled for is a cheap magnetic message board for the cruiseroom door, so friends can leave messages.

An inexpensive way to do this is to get a plain piece of paper (or a decorated piece of paper, for that matter) and have it laminated and attach sticky-backed magnets onto it. Cheap! Then you just need to gift a dry-erase marker! I've seen ones where the caps are magnetic, but again, you could always just add magnets from any craft store ::yes::

We also got Music CD's and we love them so much we still listen to them.:cheer2: The ship horns are amazing. I would like to create CD's for my next FE, but I am not sure if it is legal to do so or not. Maybe it is, because they are gifts. What do you think?

When you buy a package of blank CDs, it is assumed you are using them to make a copy for non commercial use. If you have bought a CD and make 1 copy to give to a friend, it is okay. If you lend a CD to a friend and they make a copy, it is not okay.

That being said the price per unit(PPD - published price to dealer) includes a small fee(25 cents up to a dollar) to pay royalties out to artists. The flaw in this being, they normally pay this out to artists that top the charts.

So the small answer being, go for it and just claim "fair use".

We also got Music CD's and we love them so much we still listen to them.:cheer2: The ship horns are amazing. I would like to create CD's for my next FE, but I am not sure if it is legal to do so or not. Maybe it is, because they are gifts. What do you think?

Glad to hear that Pixie (at least I think it's my CDs you're referring to). :cool1:

Anything is great, especially if someone puts some thought into it. We received some great stuff too, embroidered bags, silkscreened logo bags (Pixie ;) ), handmade keychains, etc.

The best thing we received from a FE family was a 'hand-me-down' DCL jacket that their DD outgrew. My DD loves it and I keep telling my wife we'll have to go on a cruise next year so we can 'pay it forward' to another family when DD outgrows it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :rotfl2: )

We got a bag of "useful stuff" that included safety pins, band-aids, an aspirin roll, Q-tips I think, a stain-remover pen, and there was more stuff that it never occurred to me we might need (it was our first cruise). Ended up using the safety pins for our costumes, and most of the other items in the bag before the end of that vacation. It was awesome. :cool1:

We gave away personalized (but not individualized) grocery/reusable tote bags. We always grinned when we saw fellow cruisers using them during the week. One cabin ended up using the bag as their Fish Extender :cool1:.

I loved getting the variety of things... handmade, food from a certain area, etc. The water bottle was cool and useful as well.

Okay, here is a question. I have an idea for a Disney craft project, that the kids could do onboard or take home. I would include all the tools, including scissors (and glue sticks). It should be fairly simple, maybe about 30-45min of work, and the end product can be left onboard. My dilemma is whether the parents would hate me for giving their 8-12yo's scissors? They would all be still packaged, so easy to put into checked luggage to take home.

Input?

pharmjenn said:
Okay, here is a question. I have an idea for a Disney craft project, that the kids could do onboard or take home. I would include all the tools, including scissors (and glue sticks). It should be fairly simple, maybe about 30-45min of work, and the end product can be left onboard. My dilemma is whether the parents would hate me for giving their 8-12yo's scissors? They would all be still packaged, so easy to put into checked luggage to take home.

Input?

I think that age range is totally fine with scissors. My 4 year old can use them a bit! I'd say, under 6 - no scissors.

Make sure it's OK to bring the scissors on board? And of course if you are flying make sure they are in your checked luggage. It would be awful to have them all confiscated!

cool ideas.

We love everything we have received and are amazed at the creativity shown. Some of my faves have been

CDs - loaded them onto my work laptop so when it is ucky outside I am bopping to cruise tunes. we had one with old old cruising tunes (40s). that was cool

Suncatcher - DD has it in her room and it makes her smile

Ornament - has a bit of the beach in it.

We got some cool little stuff - tattoos for pirate night and eye patches, pirate pencils...

Kate

We received a light bulb!:scratchin
It had the filament taken out and sand with tiny ornaments and tiny photo of the Magic ship inside. Very heavy glass so it would travel fine.
We all thought it was very nice.

The tiny info sheet on which deck was what.. that was helpful and the homemade lanyards!!

Our FE group had so many great things! Lots of thought put into them! One that sticks out to me right now is that DH and I each got a handmade fleece scarf with mickey and Minnie colors, and DS got a handmade fleece hat (Alaska cruise).

Oh! And a "countdown to our next Disney vacation" calendar, which DS loves!

Booze.

Someone in our FE group in June gave out mini bottles of Captain Morgan.

Nice to slip into our Cokes from the refillable station.

Scissors-coming from someone who is flying cross country and doesn't check luggage, they'd get left behind. If that is ok, go for it.

My first cruise isn't until April next year, but I'm getting lots of great ideas!

what we liked in our fe - magnets, markers, highlighters, music discs, christmas ornaments, small marker/whiteboards & post-it note pad magnetic holder (both w/alaskan pictures)

what we liked to give - music discs (we had a great time finding new music for different cruises) - magnets - and christmas ornament (we made a jersey shore ornament w/sand & shells)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter