Best East Coast or Gulf Beaches

Discussion in 'Camping Community Board' started by gillenkl, Sep 26, 2012.

1. gillenkl

gillenkl DIS Veteran

We are taking a break from disney in 2013. We have 2 weeks so we need a great beach, nice campground (preferably a state park) and shopping. We've camped in Myrtle Beach, Assateague Island and Outerbanks.

We live outside Philly and have a popup. We only want to spend one night on the road getting there - so southern Florida is too far. Can you recommend any other East Coast or Gulf of Florida campgrounds you really like? I've been researching Henderson Island and Topsail. Any others -

2. sccamper46

sccamper46 Earning My Ears

I would recommend Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort County, SC. It is located just up the coast a bit from Hilton Head, SC.

3. kaguilbeau

kaguilbeau DIS Veteran

I like Destin and have stayed at Henderson Beach. I also stayed at Grayton Beach and rode through Topsail.

As much trouble as breaking camp is, I would like to split my trip between Grayton and Henderson. Grayton is directly on a paved bike trail that runs along hwy 30A, taking you to some other neat beachside communities.

Henderson is within walking distance of some shopping areas (Destin Commons) for one and also accessible to a paved bike/walking path that runs along Scenic Hwy (beach road). We did have to ride about 1/2 mile to reach that trail. Henderson has a very long stretch of beach with no development, but wonderful restaurants are not far away.

Book early!! In fact, if you check the reservation calendar through the ReserveAmerica site, you may not be able to find a two week block.

Have fun planning!!

4. auntie

auntie <font color=darkorchid>It's a really lovely way to

We enjoy Anna Maria Island on the Gulf coast. It is about 40 minutes south of Tampa. While we haven't stayed in this camping resort, I did ride through a couple of times and it looks very nice.
    http://www.holidaycoverv.com/