Best credit card for hotel rewards???

busy mom

Mouseketeer
What have you found to be best credit card for hotel rewards?

We are planning a trip to the west coast next fall, and would love to book with rewards...

Thank you for any responses!

We each got Fairmont Cards last year, total 4 nights free. It also included free over-priced breakfast and a few other perks. The rooms were rack rate at 400+/night. This year we did Marriott when they were offering 80,000 points sign-up bonus and used it throughout the midwest.
Before applying, be sure they have hotel for where you want to be!
If you travel with pets, be sure to check to see if pets are allowed in that chain.

Also compare cash rebate cards..... it's what I would be looking for in a new credit card.

Personally, I like the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I can book travel directly through their Ultimate Rewards website or tranfer points at a 1:1 ratio into several frequent flyer programs and frequent hotel stay programs. Marriott & Hyatt for sure but probably others too. I like that all dining & travel purchases earn double points. Even airport parking counted as a travel purchase.
I used to love my SWA visa but this allows for so much greater flexibility compared to that. Instead of being restricted to where ever SW flies, we could potentially save enough points to fly to Europe (transfer into American Airlines or British Airways) and then transfer to Marriott or Hyatt programs to book hotel stays. :thumbsup2
Dh and I each signed up for the card with 50,000 bonus points and first year's AF waived. We can transfer points from his UR account to mine, or vice versa, as often as we like for free. We probably won't keep both cards after this first year though but we already have over 140k points since July.

Last edited:
I like my Sapphire also, but last spring I got a Marriott rewards card (has an annual fee) for the 80,000 bonus pts plus another 7500 points when I added an authorized user. I don't plan on keeping the card past the year (just got it for the bonus points), but they do give a free night each year also.

We have both Marriott and Hyatt. Personally, the stay 2 nights at Hyatt the first year offer is hard to beat as there are no restrictions! I mean, we redeemed it for 2 free nights at an All Inclusive in Mexico that was going for $700 a night. My DH is Platinum Marriott and I am really hoping they "up" their program as I feel the benefits are not the greatest anymore. However, we predominantly use our no annual fee Bank of America Travel Rewards Card. Our rewards average out to be 3.6% in return and can be redeemed for anything. For example, we bought our Disney Tickets from UT, and immediately paid them off with rewards. Our SW tickets we did the same. Plus, if we charge everything to our room at disney, we can pay it off with rewards. We wanted a flexible card that could be redeemed on cruises, airlines, hotels, and this one fits the bill for us!

I like chase sapphire overall for use at different places.... but I also like my IHG- only 45 per year, I got like 70k points for sigining up plus a free night each year.... so far it's been a great deal-had it for two years, so far 3 free nights at Sanibel(heaven) 3 free nights in Anaheim(wahoo) and one free night at LAX near the airport for $90 (annual fees)

That said, the Marriott card is looking tempting now also....and the Starwood card for WDW...unbeatable. (so worth the AF for that one) we've have at least 20 free nights at the Dolphin and swan over the last few years....(heaven)

We have both Marriott and Hyatt. Personally, the stay 2 nights at Hyatt the first year offer is hard to beat as there are no restrictions! I mean, we redeemed it for 2 free nights at an All Inclusive in Mexico that was going for $700 a night. My DH is Platinum Marriott and I am really hoping they "up" their program as I feel the benefits are not the greatest anymore. However, we predominantly use our no annual fee Bank of America Travel Rewards Card. Our rewards average out to be 3.6% in return and can be redeemed for anything. For example, we bought our Disney Tickets from UT, and immediately paid them off with rewards. Our SW tickets we did the same. Plus, if we charge everything to our room at disney, we can pay it off with rewards. We wanted a flexible card that could be redeemed on cruises, airlines, hotels, and this one fits the bill for us!

How do you get a 3.6% return on the BOA travel rewards card? I looked at it and I'm seeing 1.5% back on anything.

Thanks for any info!

How do you get a 3.6% return on the BOA travel rewards card? I looked at it and I'm seeing 1.5% back on anything.

Thanks for any info!

my guess is a return for having a BOA account...

For instance, if you’re a Bank of America® banking customer, you’ll have the opportunity to earn a points dividend of 25%, 50% or 75% through the Preferred Rewards program. The bonus you’ll receive depends on the type of account you have and the total amount of your assets. But even if you don’t qualify for Preferred Rewards status, just having a Bank of America® checking or savings account will give you a boost: You’ll get a 10% dividend on the points you earn.

pp said overall a 3.6% return, I think they meant over all their cards, that's the standard savings,so may be more or less on one card or another(?) generally speaking you can get a higher rate of return on rewards (esp travel) vs. just cashback. I've gotten 1000's of dollars reward over the years for a small amount of money laid out..... just one wdw trip alone saved us approx. 1500 ....if not more

I love my Starwoods Amex. We've gotten many a free night with it. I just added the Chase Sapphire Reserve to our portfolio too now :)

That said, the Marriott card is looking tempting now also....and the Starwood card for WDW...unbeatable. (so worth the AF for that one) we've have at least 20 free nights at the Dolphin and swan over the last few years....(heaven)
I just called customer service and Marriott points can be used for SPG hotels and vice versa. Just call customer service.

We use the Citi Hilton card, 75,000 points to start and 10,000 points a year with $1000 in charges. No annual fee. We stay at Hilton properties most of the time and have accumulated 300,000+ points. We like the stay 4 nights on points, get the 5th night free. They also run promos for point purchases, buy a point get one free. For Labor Day 2017, our room at a Hilton Garden on the ocean in Virginia Beach was $409 a night, or 40,000 points. Using the point deal, we bought 160,000 points for $800, and since we get the 5th night free, we have 5 nights on the ocean over a summer holiday weekend for $160 a night, including tax. Rack rate with tax was nearly $2400.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter