Best character dining for adults?

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by mrsgavrily, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mamasha

mamasha Mouseketeer

Garden Grill is a better character interaction and food is good.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Koda

Koda Mouseketeer

We have had dinner at Chef Mickey's several times, and have seen many adult-only parties. It is the only place to get Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Chip, and Dale. Now that my DDs are teenagers, we go to Chef Mickey's because it is the only place they will pose for pictures with the characters!:)

4. North of Mouse

North of Mouse DIS Veteran

I'm a big Eeyore fan, so we often do the Crystal Palace breakfast, and we find all we like in the food too. We let the *kid* come out! ;)

5. si-am

si-am DIS Veteran

Garden Grill. The characters aren't too in your face, it's not a buffet so there aren't a ton of kids running around everywhere, and the food is good.

6. mrsgavrily

mrsgavrily Earning My Ears

Wow, we hadn't even considered Tusker House. After doing a little research, we are really excited about this one.

We have changed our ADRs for:
    - Tusker house breakfast on our AK day (first day)
    - Akershus dinner on our EPCOT day

Looks like we are getting the best of both worlds!

We are hesistant to book any character meals outside the parks in case we have trouble with transport.

We are also still considering CRT.

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! :)

Can anyone tell me how much it costs for the photo with Donald at Tusker House? xx

7. lady_hlh

lady_hlh DIS Veteran

I also love Cape May, it is a great breakfast with tons of character interaction plus it isn't as crazy loud or crowded as say Chef Mickeys.

8. butsy113

butsy113 AKV Owner

1900 PF would be easy to hit on a MK day. Just hope on the monorail and cruise on over. Eat then cruise back over to MK. Or if your ressie is late (maybe 7:45) you can catch the boat parade go by the Grand Floridian at 9:15.

9. sabcook

sabcook Mouseketeer

My husband and I ate at Crystal Palace on our honeymoon and had such a good time with the atmosphere and the characters that we have made it a tradition to go back on each trip. It is really fun to go back with the kids now and see their interractions with the characters as well.
    Enjoy whatever you decide and have a great trip!

10. VAfamily1998

VAfamily1998 DIS Veteran

I actually would NOT recommend Tusker House.

My last trip was last month with my brother (an adult in his 30's). It was his first trip to Disney so when I was planning our ADRs I was trying to give him descriptions of restaurants and when I described the ones in AK, he told me he wanted to eat at Tusker House (he asked by name). I was a little surprised that he wanted a character meal, but didn't question it--I didn't want him to feel weird or embarrassed. When we were at AK and I was telling him about the reservation I was able to get, he was shocked it was a character meal! In hindsight, I think he may have meant to ask for Yak and Yeti but got confused. :confused3

Anyway, we went to Tusker House and it was just loud, lots of kids running around, there were a lot of times when the kids would all get up and do a conga line type dance party with the characters, etc. It seemed like great fun if you are a family with young kids, but not so much for us.

On the other hand, earlier this year I went to Disney with my husband and kids, and we ate at Garden Grill in Epcot. My kids had a great time, but I think it would also be a great experience for adults wanting to do a character meal. There's no "getting out of your seats to do a conga line with the characters" type of thing going on--the characters just come right to your table. The way the booths are formed, you really can't see the other guests at the restaurant, so it's a lot more quiet and calm. Plus, since the restaurant revolves, there is always an interesting change of scenery.
    So, my recommendation for adults who want to experience a character meal, would be Garden Grill in Epcot.

11. One_Song

One_Song DIS Veteran

Another vote for Tusker House. We really like the food selection, and it's nice to be so close to Kili Safaris when you're finished. It may not be a popular opinion, but my husband and I went to CM on one of our trips last year and we were so disappointed. It took far too long to get seated, the service was slow, and the characters seemed a little tired. It will be a long time before we go back.

12. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

I would also go with the Tusker House. For breakfast ohana is a good choice

13. ChrisnKim913

ChrisnKim913 DIS Veteran

Cape May at the BC. Had a real fun time and the interactions they had were funny. Food was really good and the place was clean

14. nanhol

nanhol Always counting down to the next trip!

It sounds like you've got your plans sorted and that you don't need any more advice, but don't rule out the resort restaurants--many folks prefer them to park restaurants. If you're worried about using Disney buses to go resort to park to resort, consider using a taxi to go from AoA to Beach Club (Cape May Cafe breakfast buffet) or to the Poly (Ohana breakfast). The taxi should cost $15-$20, but it's painless compared to bus-hopping. You'll then get a chance to check out the resort a little, and you can walk to Epcot from the Beach Club (via the International Gateway) or from Poly you can monorail OR ride a boat to the Magic Kingdom (I love the boat ride from Poly to MK!)

15. yolie912

yolie912 DIS Veteran

Its funny how everyone says 1900 Park Fare but the reviews on the board say to stay away because the food is awful. Should I reconsider?

Thanks!

16. t_daniels

t_daniels <font color=deeppink>They'll NEVER be replaced<br>

We are doing it.*shrug*

I'm excited for the characters.

We heard LOTS of bad reviews for Via Napoli.....and we loved it.

So, its worth a shot, to us, for the characters. Will we regret it? Maybe...ha.

17. t_daniels

I LOVED this. Had fantastic interactions. Had a Stitch plush with me. He swiped it from the table, and sat with it on the floor!

18. t_daniels

CRT. We loved it. Our server was great. We were right by a window! Fantastic view. Good food. Romantic-y, then I got my princess fix.:)