Best Beach to Visit while at Disney

jewelshouse

Mouseketeer
We are planning a "beach day" for our disney trip at the end of Sept. Any suggestions on where to go????

The Gulf coast is paradise, warm water, powder sand. This is Madiera Beach, near tampa.
beach.jpg

If you are lookiing for a beach with civilization close by, I'd recommend Daytona Beach. It's a decent 1 hour drive to the East. Sure is a fun place to relax and have fun during the day and has a great night life, too. Not sure what kind of beach experience you were looking for.

Another vote for Daytona Beach!

When we went to Disney in 2005 and 2006, we completed our vacations with a 1 week trip to the Beach! Very relaxing!

Daytona.jpg

Enjoy! :yay:

We have 3 kids and since we live in the midwest we can't pass up an opportunity to take them to a "real" beach. Looking for a place they can have fun that's not in the middle of nowhere.

Daytona is great, we've enjoyed going there...but we've also enjoyed going to Cocoa Beach...basically at the end of the BeeLine xpressway, then just a little south of the DCL port.

How much further is Daytona Beach than Cocoa Beach?
Mapquest is saying it is only 10 miles/10 minutes, is that true? Looking at the map, Cocoa Beach seems closer and I know it is real easy to get to.

Of course Daytona has the cool factor for the kids of driving on the sand... does that offset the nervous DW factor? :)

Cocoa Beach seems like a nice enough beach to me and if you plan which day you go, you can see the Mickey boat (kid's name for the DCL cruise line).

Just for reference, Mapquest says it is 20 miles/minutes further to Clearwater Beach on the gulf side.

How much further is Daytona Beach than Cocoa Beach?
Mapquest is saying it is only 10 miles/10 minutes, is that true? Looking at the map, Cocoa Beach seems closer and I know it is real easy to get to.

Of course Daytona has the cool factor for the kids of driving on the sand... does that offset the nervous DW factor? :)

Cocoa Beach seems like a nice enough beach to me and if you plan which day you go, you can see the Mickey boat (kid's name for the DCL cruise line).

Just for reference, Mapquest says it is 20 miles/minutes further to Clearwater Beach on the gulf side.

If memory serves me correctly (it's been about 15 years), Daytona is probably about 10-15 minutes longer driving time. Back then, I remember three major differences between the two beaches:
  1. Daytona Beach's sand is better
  2. Lot's more to do at Daytona if you get bored of the beach
  3. Daytona's wave action is wayyyyyyyy better! You can try wave or skim boarding!!
OH... and yeah, driving on the beach is the wayyyy cool factor. I live in Virginia Beach and we can't drive on the beach:sad2:

Caladesi Island is paradise! You have to take a ferry over, but then you're the only ones on the beach. Especially if you don't get to a beach very often, this one is the best I've been to.

We also loved Siesta Key.

Have fun!

Caladesi Island is paradise! You have to take a ferry over, but then you're the only ones on the beach. Especially if you don't get to a beach very often, this one is the best I've been to.

Have fun!

Caladesi is one of my favorite places on Earth. If you want a beach day without 1000's of people, this is the place to go.:lovestruc

jewelshouse -

How old are your children? Keep in mind that the waves and surf are much "rougher" on the Atlantic side of the state than on the Gulf side. Since we live in Tampa, we go to Clearwater or St Pete Beach (Siesta Key and Caladesi are great beaches also) where the waves are gentle and there is no surf. Last year, we took a trip to Cocoa Beach and did not care for it at all. The waves and undertow were bad. I got knocked down by a wave and drug along the sand and scraped the side of my leg all up. Smaller children may do better in the Gulf than the Atlantic.

Kim

Like the previous poster said- be careful of the waves. We frequent both coasts quite often. My favorite FAMILY beach is Clearwater. Its beautiful, white sand and great water with usually no waves or very little. My favorite ADULT beach is Daytona. Thats a drop the kids at school and sneak to the beach kind of beach. Cocoa is nice, Ormond is pretty with the orange/red sand but both are known for rip tides and usually the surf is to rough to really swim. One area that is nice and has parks and playgrounds is the Melbourne area. We've been to some parks right at the beach where the kids are entertained with playground equipment in case the water is rough/cold/etc.

No matter what you will enjoy it I'm sure!

jewelshouse -

How old are your children? Keep in mind that the waves and surf are much "rougher" on the Atlantic side of the state than on the Gulf side. Since we live in Tampa, we go to Clearwater or St Pete Beach (Siesta Key and Caladesi are great beaches also) where the waves are gentle and there is no surf. Last year, we took a trip to Cocoa Beach and did not care for it at all. The waves and undertow were bad. I got knocked down by a wave and drug along the sand and scraped the side of my leg all up. Smaller children may do better in the Gulf than the Atlantic.

Kim

We went to Cocoa Beach last time we went to Disney, we were not very impressed. It's hard to know where to go when you are not familiar with it.

I hear the water is so much warmer on the Gulf side. How long a drive is it from Disney to Clearwater...2 hours?

I would recommend Daytona Beach. It is an easy drive on I-4. If you take the International Speedway Exit you will pass the Daytona Speedway on the way to the beach (a lot larger than I expected). I was in Daytona last month and the beach was beautiful!!

I hear the water is so much warmer on the Gulf side. How long a drive is it from Disney to Clearwater...2 hours?

I would guess about that. I go from Ocala to Clearwater in 2 hours. There's a lot of construction and a lot of traffic so take your time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter