Best and Worst 529 Plans - UPDATED with Alternatives to 529's

KelNottAt

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
You can roll over a 529 plan into a new 529 plan. One of my kids is in the best plan (Bright Start, Illinois), while my other is in Upromise, but through Nevada, not through New York. I think I may have to put them both in the Bright Start plan.

Smith Barney is the firm that set me up with Bright Start, so you may wish to contact them in your area if your broker cannot do it for you.

It would have been nice to have them list a greater set of funds.
Ours doesn't show up on either list. It would be nice to know if it's closer to the top or the bottom.

I'm astonished that they left the Utah 529 plan off of the list. This is consistently ranked as the best 529 by the money magazines. It's rock-bottom fund fees (Vanguard) and great fund mixes make it a great plan.

yeah, I'm surprised to see Utah left off also as that is the one that traditionally heavily touted in the "best" category. They do talk about it in the article, but it isn't on their list.

When Illinois switched to Oppenheimer last summer they improved their funds enormously, plus drastically reduced fund fees. PLUS, as an Illinois Resident we get a State Income tax deduction which makes it a no brainer for us.

For those of you in the Ohio plan -- it doesn't say anything about the Vanguard options being bad. If you currently have accounts in Ohio with College Advantage you may want to redirect future contributions to the Vanguard funds instead of Putnam.
Hope that eases your mind a bit.

Yes, Vanguard is always ranked high if you read Kiplingers, Money, etc. Plus, it is good to invest in your state's plan if you can write off some of the contribution on your state taxes ( you can in Ohio).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter