Best airline reward credit card?

Bobo912

DIS Veteran
Thought about posting this on the transportation board, but there are a lot of questions about traveling to Orlando on that board, so I thought I might get a more useful response from you guys. I have a Southwest Visa, but at this point I'm more interested in getting points for international flights, so I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting a different card. I see the commercials on TV for the Capital One Venture card and I'm interested since they claim that you will earn more points than the other airline rewards cards. I use my credit cards for most purchases and keep them paid off, so I'm able to accrue quite a few points. If you have a Captial One card, are the points easy to redeem? Is there anything you don't like about it? Or maybe somebody has another airline rewards card that they really like and would recommend.

Thought about posting this on the transportation board, but there are a lot of questions about traveling to Orlando on that board, so I thought I might get a more useful response from you guys. I have a Southwest Visa, but at this point I'm more interested in getting points for international flights, so I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting a different card. I see the commercials on TV for the Capital One Venture card and I'm interested since they claim that you will earn more points than the other airline rewards cards. I use my credit cards for most purchases and keep them paid off, so I'm able to accrue quite a few points. If you have a Captial One card, are the points easy to redeem? Is there anything you don't like about it? Or maybe somebody has another airline rewards card that they really like and would recommend.

If you feel and you have got enough knowledge about the card ... !! And it would benefit you too then you should go for it... But before doing any action, you should have complete knowledge about it.!!

You might want to ask on flyertalk.com. Also the transp. board is still a great resource for non-MCO info as well. There are a lot of frequent fliers there that can help.
Can't hurt to ask...:goodvibes

Thanks, I did think of looking on Flyertalk and found a lot of information. Looks like there are some pretty good rewards programs out there, but I think I'm just as well off sticking with what I've got (except for the Southwest card - since it has an annual fee I'll might get rid of it) and just taking the cash back rewards.

I have Capital One. I use the points sometimes for domestic flights. Even though I charge a lot to accumulate points, it takes a lot so it's not like I'm picking up a free trip every year. I try to always fly on one airline and belong to that airline's frequent flier program; it's a better way to earn miles than from a rewards credit card, especially on long international flights.

Thanks, Pakey. I belong to all of the major airline rewards programs, but my dilemma is which card to get. I haven't been able to fly on a single airline since no one airline consistently has the best price or a schedule that will work. That's why I thought the Captial One card might be good, but I think I'm better off using my Amex and getting 3% cash back. I may try one of the airline cards and see if I can get enough miles for a free flight after I use it for a couple of years, especially if I can find one that waives the annual fee for the first year.

Like you, I spent quite of bit of research on this issue and consistently read that Capital One was the best airline rewards card to get. Also, if you sign up now you will receive 25,000 bonus miles; that's equal to $250. in airfare. [I sound like an infomercial:goodvibes] You then earn 2 miles per every dollar spent and I believe they have bonus categories or vendors you can earn a little more. The only negative is the $59. a year annual fee - which is waived the first year.

You must have excellent credit - which sounds like isn't an issue at all.

Also, if you sign up now you will receive 25,000 bonus miles; that's equal to $250. in airfare.

There always seems to be some restriction on redeeming "miles" or "points" or "Disney Dollars" hidden in the fine print that limits how or when it can be used.

I prefer a card with CASH reward. That forces an honest valuation and there is no limit on how, when or what it can be used.

-Paul

There always seems to be some restriction on redeeming "miles" or "points" or "Disney Dollars" hidden in the fine print that limits how or when it can be used.

I prefer a card with CASH reward. That forces an honest valuation and there is no limit on how, when or what it can be used.

-Paul

Normally, I would agree with you and I still love and use my cash back only cards, too, but I researched this card for a long time before biting the bullet - no hidden agenda. Capitol One has one of the easiest reward programs to negotiate. There are multiple ways to redeem your points. In the 25,000 point example for instance, all you have to do is purchase a ticket for let's say $200. When you use your Capitol One card to buy the ticket, all you do is add two zeros (00) to the end of the cost of the airline ticket and that is how many points it uses, period, end of story. There are no black out dates or certain airlines you have to use at only certain times of the day.

I use a Starwood AMEX for everything. That way I can use it for flights or hotels. I transfer points to my USAIR to redeem on Star Alliance partners. If I fly overseas, I prefer not to fly US carriers.

Normally, I would agree with you and I still love and use my cash back only cards, too, but I researched this card for a long time before biting the bullet - no hidden agenda. Capitol One has one of the easiest reward programs to negotiate. There are multiple ways to redeem your points. In the 25,000 point example for instance, all you have to do is purchase a ticket for let's say $200. When you use your Capitol One card to buy the ticket, all you do is add two zeros (00) to the end of the cost of the airline ticket and that is how many points it uses, period, end of story. There are no black out dates or certain airlines you have to use at only certain times of the day.

Capital One is very easy. You can also redeem points for travel related items, not just airfare. I've actually twice redeemed points to pay my annual DVC dues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter