Best airfare site

gilby

DIS Veteran
I was looking at air fare to mexico, cancun, cozumel or ixtapa. the air fare is outragious. What site do you use to find the best air fare?

I like sidestep.com It incorporates zillions of sites' search engines (including Kayak) in its listings. When you book, it takes you to the site of the best price it found for you (might be kayak, hotels.com, etc) so there is no fee to use sidestep.com. It also has a graph if your dates are flexible that shows the historical high and low prices of the airfare between your city and your destination.

Good for air, hotel, car, cruise, etc.

Check specific airlines sites directly as well. I don't know if America West is in your area, but they are one airline that usually doesn't pop up on site searches like expedia or travelocity, but they have had good deals into Mexico in the past.

I've had good luck using Priceline lately (not the bidding part, but their regular travel service). They will sometimes piece together a trip on multiple airlines to get a better deal (e.g., we flew to Boston on Delta and back on USAirways). No matter what, once I find a flight, I check the airline website to ensure they don't have the same flight for cheaper.

I also use YAPTA. You download the program. If you have specific flights you are watching, it will email you if the price changes.

We are flying out of Detroit in July to Cancun. It took me months of searching to find a fare that was reasonable. I LOVE aifarewatchdog.com. It's free! You put in your airports that you are interested in flying out of and can receive alerts 1-7 times a week. We found our Cancun airfare on Spirit.com. I don't know if Spirit flies out of the cities though. I know Northwest does, and they also have a hub in Detroit. I found tickets to Hawaii, last year, out of Rochester, MN for cheaper than Chicago. Keep smaller airports in mind when flying. We were actually thinking of driving to Rochester, from Ohio, because our kids were staying in LaCrosse, so why not drive an extra hour? We actually got our tickets from Orbitz for $460/pp r/t out of Cleveland. Good luck.
It can also depend on the time of year you want to fly. And, if you can do spur of the moment flights, Spirit has a $9 fare club that you can join and get last minute deals from them.:woohoo:

I like sidestep.com It incorporates zillions of sites' search engines (including Kayak) in its listings. When you book, it takes you to the site of the best price it found for you (might be kayak, hotels.com, etc) so there is no fee to use sidestep.com. It also has a graph if your dates are flexible that shows the historical high and low prices of the airfare between your city and your destination.

Good for air, hotel, car, cruise, etc.

FYI, sidestep.com and kayak.com are now both the same company so the results should be the same.

Just tried comparison between itasoftware and kayak and ita was returning prices about 4 dollars less than kayak for the same flight. Not sure if they add their fees in separately or what but it was interesting to see as I usually have good luck with kayak.

I usually do Orbitz to find the cheapest date combination if my dates are flexible at all (they have that big grid) and then Sidestep to find the best fares on those dates. Also have to check separately airlines like SWA that don't show up there.

Did you notice the layover times are so much longer. One was like 29 hours of a layover, that is insane.

Also try www.bookingbuddy.com
Really, its just all the budget travel sites all consolidated onto one page, but I think it makes it easier to compare prices.

As with any "budget" travel site though, you have to be very careful to look at all the details... often the best "deals" have very wonky schedules, etc. When I was looking recently for tickets for our trip to Vermont, I found some great deals, but most of them included things like day-long layovers, switching planes/airline companies up to 5 times, and flying to places totally in the opposite direction... one trip quote wanted to route me from Montana to Seattle to Denver to Atlanta to Boston to Vermont, each leg on a different airline, total flight time almost 24 hours. :scared1: Ummmm no.

it's travelocity's internation partner...don't book through them but it will help you find best time to fly, etc.

www.zuji.com

It helped me when I flew to Cancun recently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter