Before or After Thanksgiving Christmas Parade 2009

IngridRalph

Mouseketeer
I am trying to decide between the week before thanksgiving and the week after. Thanksgiving is late this year...any guesses or solid info on when the parade will start for 2008? We are considering arriving Nov 16 or Nov 30. Also will the parade only be on weekends or is it during the week during the pre-christmas break time?

~Ingrid

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year, and it was great. The parade was running daily (twice on the weekends) and the Christmas fireworks were every night. The first weekend of Dec will most likely be the CP weekend, which draws larger crowds.

I am trying to decide between the week before thanksgiving and the week after. Thanksgiving is late this year...any guesses or solid info on when the parade will start for 2009? We are considering arriving Nov 16 or Nov 30. Also will the parade only be on weekends or is it during the week during the pre-christmas break time?

~Ingrid

Do you mean 2008 or 2009? We are going the week after Thanksgiving. I am hoping that since Thanksgiving is so late, the first week of Dec won't be busy because everyone will be back to work and school.

:surfweb:

The last few years the Christmas Parade starts running daily around the middle of November...with Thanksgiving being so late this year I would expect they would start it by November 21 for sure, if not on the 14th. But you'll definitely see it if you go the week after Thanksgiving.

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year, and it was great. The parade was running daily (twice on the weekends) and the Christmas fireworks were every night. The first weekend of Dec will most likely be the CP weekend, which draws larger crowds.
What is CP weekend? Cast Member parties? I always thought they were the first Monday and Tuesday in December. Or something like that. We usually go the week (mid-week) after Thanksgiving, and I am wondering if the Cast Member parties are then, if the park is more crowded. I know it closes earlier, but......what else should I expect? Or is CP the Candlelight show? Will that effect mid-week crowds? Thanks to all who have thoughts on this....

My family is also going to DL the wk after thanksgiving November 30th through December 7th.Its hard to start planning because were leaving for WDW in 6wks so I've been busy with that. I just happend to stumble over this post and was wondering what the crowd levels were like and where I could find the park hours for those dates.

The last few years the Christmas Parade starts running daily around the middle of November...with Thanksgiving being so late this year I would expect they would start it by November 21 for sure, if not on the 14th. But you'll definitely see it if you go the week after Thanksgiving.

According to World Disney Travel the first day of the Christmas Parade is November 21.

I asked when I made my original reservation, and they confirmed it in writing.

What is CP weekend? Cast Member parties? I always thought they were the first Monday and Tuesday in December. Or something like that. We usually go the week (mid-week) after Thanksgiving, and I am wondering if the Cast Member parties are then, if the park is more crowded. I know it closes earlier, but......what else should I expect? Or is CP the Candlelight show? Will that effect mid-week crowds? Thanks to all who have thoughts on this....

The CP is the Candlelight Processional. It takes place traditionally on the first weekend of Dec and has two shows on Saturday and Sunday, and the parks are quite busy on those two days, especially around the time of the shows you will want to avoid Main Street unless you are intending to try to watch. It may effect crowds on the Friday before, but I wouldn't expect it to stretch more than that.

The Cast Member parties are the Monday and Tuesday following the CP. CM parties don't make the park more crowded, they just close DL early on those two nights (close at 6 pm, and have fireworks at 5:45).

When is DL decorated for Christmas? It's be nice to go in Nov with less crowds (?) but I HAVE TO see DL all done up for Christmas

We are looking at the week before Thanksgiving. I'll have to let you know how it goes when we get back since we have never been at that time. Of course, that will be a bit late, won't it?
Anyway, from all the info I have come across while doing research over the past 6 years, it looks like the official kick off will most likely be on the 21st.

I haven't even firmed up the dates for this years holiday trip, because we have the trip in May and then I have a Sister trip in Sept... I haven't even been able to think about the Holiday trip yet!!! :lmao:

I am worried about our timing this year. A new policy at DH's work is that he has a vacation blackout from the day after Thanksgiving until New Years Day. :sad2: My initial plan is to go mid-week to mid-week and leave late on Thanksgiving day, then he will be back to work Friday. Will we miss any of the special holiday events and will the decorations all be up? We were in WDW last December and in DL December 06,' I really want it to be a tradition for my kids, it has been a special part of our Christmas spirit these last few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter