Bed bugs at BWV

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Annieru027, Mar 10, 2013.

1. mmmears

mmmears DIS Veteran

Wow -- that's the first time I heard they had a few dogs checking for bugs -- that's really interesting. I'm glad to hear that they took care of your things -- still so sorry that it happened, though.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. WDWorld2003

WDWorld2003 DIS Veteran

4. vacation_junkie

vacation_junkie Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

My DH does the bed bug check before the rest of us are allowed to step into the room! 5 star...3 star or a 2 star place the beds are always pulled away , beds fully checked! In drawers! Everywhere!

5. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

For anyone interested, I used to work in the hotel industry and there are good preventative sprays out there. Douse your suitcases in these sprays prior to travel. Of course, there's no guarantee, but it acts as a repellent. Another easy preventative measure is to never put your suitcase on the beds. Not only could you contract bed bugs more easily, but this is how bed bugs are spread commonly. Always keep your suitcases fully zippered also. Lastly, I have seen people bring garbage bags or ask for some to wrap their suitcases in just in case. I'm not sure how well this keeps bugs out, but no harm in it.

6. fairytalelover

fairytalelover DIS Veteran

You are not supposed to use the folding luggage rack?? Why??:confused3

7. fairytalelover

I don't know what to look for. Can somebody post photos of bedbug shells, brown spots etc... Whatever I'm supposed to look for please?

8. fairytalelover

What if you check in during the day?:confused3

9. fairytalelover

Electronics??? I thought they only went on fabric stuff.

10. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

Ok, take a deep, cleansing breath. You really don't run a huge chance of running into bedbugs at WDW. Are they there? Sure, they're at every hotel in the world...even dressing rooms, camps, etc.
    BUT....the chances of getting a room with bedbugs is slim. I have stayed at WDW 30+ times...never saw one. Yet, my dd had an issue with them twice at camp...different years.

When you check into your room...pull up the sheets, at the top of the bed. Check along the mattress seams. If you see little brown spots, that could be dried blood. Check behind the headboard if you can, or along the baseboard that runs close to the bed. If you see anything moving, ask for a new room.
    But in all likelihood? You will find nothing. Go, enjoy and stop worrying!!

11. jelliott04

jelliott04 DIS Veteran

Put a period after bed and capitalize U...then re-read.

J

12. fairytalelover

LOL!!! Ah...now I understand. The period made all the difference :rotfl2:

13. jelliott04

jelliott04 DIS Veteran

:thumbsup2

14. vacation_junkie

vacation_junkie Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Re-read..they recommended TO use the folding luggage rack ;)

15. Harlemgirl720

Harlemgirl720 DIS Veteran

I have had them and believe me its a nightmare. Its sad that its a psychological headbanger for sure.

Its been two years but I'm still paranoid. Here in NYC they are advertised daily and one company has a dog named Roscoe. So the slogan is Where's Roscoe. You have to check clothing you purchase from stores because they have shown up there. In Gyms, the schools were a big issue the last two years. So had to check bookbags.

You have to also check around electrical outlets. Picture frames. They don't travel far. I was told they like to crawl up so check near ceilings. Go figure. When they came to my apartment, he looked for hours but couldn't find any living ones but found shells so they were there. I had a feeling they were in my curtain on my bed. Had to bag all my clothes. Washed and dryed them all. They sprayed down everything. I still check. Its crazy. Even though they treated my apartment whose to say they dont go through walls from other apartments. I later learned a neighbor had a real bad case.

I was told try a spray bottle with water and alcohol. Don't know if thats true. They did have a product called, BED BUG BE GONE at Home Depot. Can't say if that worked. I really don't think there is anything out there that works. You have to have it treated professionally.

I now use travel bags and keep an empty one for dirty clothes. I will unpack but leave clothes in bags in the drawers.

16. goofy4tink

goofy4tink No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator Moderator

There really isn't anything you can buy that will take care of these bugs. And that's the issue. Because this country banned the use of the pesticides that effectively deal with bedbugs, they are now all over the place. Anything you can buy isn't going to work. Only exterminators are going to be able to come close to killing them/preventing them.

17. jenjersnap

jenjersnap yadda yadda yadda

Yes, and I would be concerned that those sprays could cause more harm than good to someone with allergies or asthma, not just you but the next guests of a room you have sprayed or a person on a plane with a carry on you have sprayed...

We survived a bedbug infestation (not from Disney). Nightmare. And, sadly, our luggage likely gave them to other people in the plane's cargo hold. We always leave our luggage in a hot car or unheated garage now before unpacking, along with the room precautions.

18. sleepydog25

sleepydog25 Been here awhile

"Let's eat, Mom." OR "Let's eat Mom." ;)

19. jelliott04

jelliott04 DIS Veteran

I always tell my kids: "They're going there with their friends." :rotfl2:

Jen

20. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

Well its just a little bug....

Mosquitoes are bugs too...and far more dangerous. Get a new room and try not to dwell on it. We do not live in sterile conditions no matter how much we want to think we do.

I am much more concerned if the food handlers washed their hands after using the bathroom.....

21. sleepydog25

sleepydog25 Been here awhile