• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Becoming a Better Sarah ~ 2015 Journal (The End)

so ive been following along for awhile but finally thought I would add my two cents to something so here goes

Thanks for checking in and sharing your advice!

You already have the right idea, you will definitely want to find a specialty running store in your area most of them will have some sort of fitting process and will the specifics may vary the general process should be the same, They will most likely have you run on a treadmill and will film it so they can slow it down and analyze how you run this is important in getting you into the right type of shoe, they may measure you or ask what size you where then they will have you try on probably 3-4 different pairs and maybe have you run on the treadmill or in the store to see what you like better my best advice during this is don't judge the shoe on looks only how it feels. My one recommendation on what to bring would be to wear whatever socks you normally run in, as socks can actually make a difference in how the shoe fits. Lastly Ill throw my own personal recommendation out there, not sure if they are in your area but if you have a Road Runner Sports I would recommend using them not only do they have an awesome fitting process but they also have a 30 day return policy on the shoes so if you get them home run in them a few times and then find out they don't work for whatever reason you are not stuck with them.

I checked out Road Runner Sports ... the closest one to me is in New Jersey :(
I went into a store in Manhattan and got shoes today ... the procedure was pretty much exactly what you described, so seeing it written out before I got there was great - thank you! I even brought in my own socks ... although they did also give me socks to use when trying them on.

This one gets my vote as since you are looking to transition from 5k to 10k the increased distance should give you a nice barometer of where you are at and you have already done the distance in training so that shouldn't be an issue for you

Thanks for the input! That's definitely where I'm leaning - I think the longer distance will really be a good idea for me to see how I handle the longer race.

Progress Update: 7/17

Weight Loss:
My Friday weigh-in was the same as last week. I didn’t have the best week in terms of eating (there was even a little meal-skipping, which is something I’m normally against), but I think that my high activity level for the week redeemed me a bit. I do need to work on making sure to eat every meal, though … even if that means bringing meals with me when I’m on the road (or stopping to buy something, which I really hate doing).

Rather than pick a new habit on which to focus, I’m doing coffee again. From everything I’ve read and heard, it takes more than a week for something to be a habit, so I think I’m going to start focusing on things for a longer period of time (like a month). So again the goal is no more than 3 cups of coffee. I had coffee Monday, Thursday (which was extra fun because I only finished half in the morning, then threw it in the fridge and had the other half when I got home at 5 PM) and Friday (partially because we didn’t have much cold brew left and this was not a good batch, so I just wanted to finish it).

July Weight Loss Progress: 2/2 lb (100%)

Running:
This week was scheduled to be 1 long run and 2 short runs.

Sunday 7/12:
Today I was supposed to have plans (which later fell through), so I decided to go for 2.5 miles. It was hot out, I was wearing the wrong outfit (which is my own darn fault … I had picked out a different outfit and then changed my mind, which was a bad move), and it was just overall a rough run. But I survived, and that’s all that mattered.
2.65 miles in 29:55 minutes (11’16” pace)
Mile 1 was 10:59, mile 2 was 11:32. I went out too strong with hopes of getting a pace record and it just wasn’t the right day for that. Once I slowed down a bit I did better, but I still needed a few extra walk breaks. Some days my run just isn’t very good, and today was one of those days.

Tuesday 7/14:
Today I decided to try and find a new and shadier route for my long run. I’m fairly directionally impaired, so I don’t know that going out without being entirely sure where I was going was the smartest idea, but … I eventually found the path I was hoping to find and there were definitely some shadier areas, which was nice. The downside is that all the time I spent not entirely knowing where I was really took a toll on me psychologically, and even once I got to my regular park (which was my plan for the second half of the run), I really was worn out.
5.25 miles in 1:06:08 hours (12’34” pace)
Fastest mile was mile 1 at 10:55 and slowest mile was mile 4 at 13:33. I think that time on mile 1 is wrong – I remember getting the alert somewhere in the 11s – but whatever. I know I slowed down a lot once I got to the park (beginning of mile 4). I don’t know if it was the change in surface (from sidewalk to park path, which I think is asphalt) or the mental exhaustion, but it wasn’t good. I took a few extra walk breaks and definitely slowed down a lot towards the end, but I knew that I just had to keep moving, and my speed didn’t matter.

Thursday 7/15:
Today’s short run was an exercise in getting out and back in a timely manner. I had to leave the house around 11:30ish, so I wanted to use this as a test of how fast I could be out the door, run, shower, and change. My first alarm went off at 7:15, and my hair was mostly dry by 10. I wasn’t fully dressed yet and would have liked more time for my hair (I finished doing my hair closer to departure time), but I was pretty much ready to go in 2.75 hours. And I could have cut at least 15-20 minutes off my timeline by being more efficient. I think 2.5 hours is a good general guideline for how early I need to wake up on days when I need to get somewhere after my run (meaning that if I had to leave the house around 7:30, I’d have to get up around 5:00).
It also happened to be great weather for a run, but that kinda got pushed to the back of my mind in my quest to determine my timeline.
3.24 miles in 36:09 minutes (11’08” pace)
Fastest mile was mile 2 at 10:59 and slowest mile was mile 3 at 11:23.
I went out hoping that the cooler weather would help me get a pace record … but I knew early on it wasn’t going to happen. I think I’m starting to get a little bored with the running … which is not necessarily a good thing. I should probably try to figure out what's going on with that.

July Running Goal Progress: 6/10 runs (60%)

General Stuff:
Sometimes I’m not great at asking for help, especially when it’s something that I feel I should know without having to ask. Like running. Who needs help with running – it’s just putting one foot in front of the other, how hard can that be? Occasionally I’ll ask for some help with something running-related, but I always feel really stupid about it. Plus, I’m super shy, so … not so easy for me to talk to people in general sometimes.
My goal for when I went to get running shoes was not just to get new shoes, but to get as much information out of the people at the store as I possibly could. But … I kinda got too absorbed in the shoe process. I asked a few questions, but not as many as I should have. I guess I’ll just have to go back and get something else there so that I can ask more questions!
(More on the shoes in a week or two, once I finish writing up my thoughts on the process)

Also … not going to go into all the details right now (I might next week if it’s still an issue), but … the Princess 5K hasn’t sold out yet, and not registering is very painful for us. It hasn’t been an easy week.

Sarah's Funny of the Week:
Thoughts while on my way to the park for my run on Thursday:
It’s so nice out, it’s cool and there’s a breeze, and I feel so light and free with nothing weighing me down…
Wait, nothing’s weighing me down! I forgot my water bottle!
(I was close enough to the house that I went back to get it, but the thought process was funny to me ... I think y'all are learning that I have a weird sense of humor)

Last edited:

General Stuff:
Sometimes I’m not great at asking for help, especially when it’s something that I feel I should know without having to ask. Like running. Who needs help with running – it’s just putting one foot in front of the other, how hard can that be? Occasionally I’ll ask for some help with something running-related, but I always feel really stupid about it. Plus, I’m super shy, so … not so easy for me to talk to people in general sometimes.
My goal for when I went to get running shoes was not just to get new shoes, but to get as much information out of the people at the store as I possibly could. But … I kinda got too absorbed in the shoe process. I asked a few questions, but not as many as I should have. I guess I’ll just have to go back and get something else there so that I can ask more questions!
(More on the shoes in a week or two, once I finish writing up my thoughts on the process)

Also … not going to go into all the details right now (I might next week if it’s still an issue), but … the Princess 5K hasn’t sold out yet, and not registering is very painful for us. It hasn’t been an easy week.

So what shoes did you end up with? Or do I have to wait for your shoe update.

Hugs for whatever is going on. We all have rough weeks.

So what shoes did you end up with? Or do I have to wait for your shoe update.

The shoe update should be coming relatively soon (I'm almost done writing it), but you have to wait.
Although I do have a picture of the shoes up on my Instagram.

Hugs for whatever is going on. We all have rough weeks.

Thanks. I'm hoping that this week is a little better.

Does the Glass Slipper Fit?

I’ve divided this (very long) post into two sections – a detailed description of the proceedings and my thoughts on the process. If you want to know all about how the process was for me, please read this first part, but if all you care about is the shoes and my thoughts (which I totally understand – many of you have been through this process and don’t need the details), scroll to the end. I have thrown a few pictures (mostly not mine because I didn’t really take pictures, even though I went in wanting to) into the post to make it more interesting.

The Process:
After some thought and a phone call, I decided to get fitted for shoes at New York Running Company, located at the Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle.

1930675_520268066987_2428241_n.jpg

Time Warner Center … as you can tell, this is an old picture, I think from the first time I ever went there

Even though it’s not super close to me (took me a little over an hour to get there), I’m fairly familiar with the area, knew the store would be easy to find (although not as easy as I thought), and the woman I spoke to on the phone was enthusiastic, so I figured it was a good place to go. I got to the store and wandered around a bit before someone asked if they could help me. And that’s where our story begins …

I went in to the store hoping to find a runDisney runner, but knowing it was not likely. I got the next best thing – Charlotte was from Orlando (just moved to NY recently) and worked at the expo in January (I believe she said she worked at a running store in Florida and they sent her to work the expo for some company, I don’t remember who it was). We instantly bonded over Disney (I’m guessing she had noticed my Disney Vera Bradley bag), which was great! She said she’s considering the Disney Marathon, but she’s not sure because a marathon is a big commitment (she’s done several half marathons, but never a full).

Even before we got to the Disney chat, we had to start the shoe fitting process. First I stepped on a machine that determined my shoe size and showed where I put pressure on my foot – as I suspected, I’m a size 7.5 (Charlotte said to size up for most running shoes … but we’ll get to that). Also, I have high arches (which I knew) and I put a lot of pressure on my heel because of it (again, not surprising). We also discussed socks – she said anything but cotton was fine. I showed her a pair of my current running socks, and she said they seem like a blend, so they might be okay, but if I get blisters, I should get new socks (I would like to get new socks eventually, but … I’m trying to space out my spending).

The next step was to see how I run and what kind of shoes I need. Charlotte brought me a pair of socks to wear for the process and Nike Free minimalist shoes. The purpose of these shoes was to see how I ran when left to my own devices (without any sort of support or correction). I put on the Nikes and got on the treadmill, where Charlotte took a video of me running for about 15 seconds. We watched and analyzed the video, and saw that my foot rolls in a little on the landing (she told me the technical term, but I always mix up my overpronation and oversupination). Also, I’m a bit tight, but stretching should help with that (she recommended yoga, but I mentioned that I’ve had issues with yoga).

upload_2015-7-20_17-48-7.png
The Nike Free shoes … from a very awkward angle, and as I was taking them off

Charlotte recommended shoes with some light stability, and went to get me a few pairs. She brought out three pairs of shoes, all in various shades of pink (because by this point she had already figured me out): Brooks Ravenna 6 (size 7.5), Saucony Guide 8 (size 8), and Asics GT-1000 Breast Cancer Edition (size 7.5). The next step was to try on each shoe and run around the room to see how it felt.

311924_LRG.jpg

Brooks Ravenna 6, first of three shoes I tried

First up were the Brooks. We realized that they were a little small. I put them on and they felt heavy, and after running in them, I thought they felt a little weird by the arches (apparently it’s because of the way Brooks shoes are built, but it felt strange because I wasn’t used to it). But they weren’t painful or anything.
Next were the Saucony Guides. These were definitely different than the Brooks and different than what I’m used to (Brooks and Asics use gel cushioning, Saucony does not). They felt good, and I definitely liked them.
Last was the Asics. They had pink ribbons instead of shoelaces! I’ve been an Asics loyalist for a few years, so I really wanted to like these … and I did! They definitely felt a bit more like what I’m used to than the other two, and I felt good running in them.
Since the Brooks I tried were too small, Charlotte went back and got them (and the Asics) in size 8 (although the 7.5 Asics were fine for me – that’s what I’ve been wearing for years). I tried the size 8 Brooks and they were much better than the 7.5 … but I still wasn’t sure which shoe I liked best (although I had an idea).

81miTBcJoiL._UX575_.jpg

Asics GT-1000 … my favorite before I tried on any shoes, and not just because of the pink ribbon shoelaces. But would they stay my favorite through the whole process?

Our next step was trying multiple shoes together – different shoes on different feet. First was Brooks and Asics, then Asics and Saucony (I don’t think I tried Brooks and Saucony together, I don’t remember). When I did the Brooks and Asics together, the Asics shin started to hurt a little, but it wasn’t really a big deal (we actually tried just the Asics then and the same thing, but I wasn’t sure if it was residual pain from the uneven shoes). I wanted to try all three shoes on the treadmill, so that’s where we headed next.

First on the treadmill were the Saucony shoes – they were good, felt good, and corrected the problem. Looking at the video, I was completely in neutral. Next up was the Asics – I still rolled in a little in those, but it wasn’t enough to be significant, especially because Charlotte had noticed a slight difference between how I run on and off the treadmill (apparently I roll a little less off the treadmill – not enough that the Sauconys overcorrected, but enough that something that undercorrected a drop on the treadmill was fine off the treadmill). The Brooks were last – I rolled a drop in those, less than the Asics, but more than the Saucony.

11065-BER-l.jpg

The Saucony Guide 8 … the color is a little darker than I’d like, but they were the shoes that corrected my problem best. So would I buy them?

After a lot of thought and treadmill analysis, we ended up going with my early favorite, the Saucony Guide 8 (size 8). It’s definitely hard leaving my beloved Asics (especially now that I know that pink ribbons exist as a shoelace option), but I think this was the right choice. As much as I wanted the Asics to be my favorite, the Sauconys felt a little lighter, and since they corrected the problem better, it was definitely the right choice. I asked if there were other colors, and there was another option, but it was way more boring, so I went with the berry/purple/slime color. There was a 15% off sale, so the final price was $102. (I looked up the prices later, and the Saucony shoes were the most expensive … I’m glad I didn’t have prices in front of me when I was trying on the shoes, because that would have affected my decision).

Also … I asked how long the shoes should last. She said 400 miles or 6 months. I will probably try to stretch them out to at least 500 miles and/or 8 months, but we’ll see how they feel. So for those of you who said that if I got fitted for shoes they’d last longer … we’ll see. My current shoes are on month 8 or 9, and the ones before lasted for almost a year (although not running as much). I always bought good shoes, they just weren’t necessarily the right good shoes for me.

I haven’t run in them yet, so don’t ask me how they feel on my regular runs. They’ll make their debut (along with my new Raw Threads Mermaid shirt) next week for a short run (yes, I’m waiting for a reason … it’s hard to explain).

Assorted Thoughts:
  • I was terrified going in (which is somewhat understandable because I’m super shy and situations like this are really hard for me). It took a little while for someone to come help me, but that’s partially because I didn’t flag anyone down. I knew I didn’t have any reason to be scared, so once the process started, I felt a lot better.
  • I was honestly surprised that all of the three options she brought me worked. I thought it would be much harder to find something that felt good. Yes, I took a lot of time trying out the shoes and deciding, but I didn’t think that 100% of the recommended shoes would work for me.
  • I had wanted to try the shoes outside. One of the reasons why I picked this store is because of its proximity to Central Park (not that I thought they would let me try them out in Central Park, but I wanted to ask). I decided not to even ask about it because it had been raining earlier and the ground was wet. I do wish there had been a way to better simulate running outside, though – I don’t think running around the wood floors in the store is the same thing (and treadmill running is definitely not).
  • They have group runs. I would love to join a group run just to see what it’s like (even though I’d probably be the slowest one there), but it’s just too far from me. I honestly never would have thought of joining a group run before this, so I think going to the running store really had a major impact on more than just what I put on my feet. But yeah, I wish the running store near my house hadn’t closed, because I might now have joined them for group runs (I also would have gone there for the fitting because, well, shorter commute).
  • I was surprised by how affordable my shoes were. And when I checked the prices of the other shoes later, I was surprised that they were even cheaper. I went in hoping I could get the right shoes in the $130-$140 range, and I was really amazed that my shoes were only $120 regular price. I had assumed that good running shoes would be around $150, and while that may be the case for some people, I’d guess that most people are like me and can get good shoes in the $100 range, probably even cheaper. Plus, I know now that I may be able to get good running shoes not at a running store (now that I know what works for me) – I know I’ve seen the Asics GT-1000 at Kohl’s (albeit for more than I usually spend on my Asics there), and now I’m going to be on the lookout for the Sauconys at DSW once it’s time to think about replacement. I’m glad I went in to get fitted, and if I’m still running in a few years I may do it again just to see if anything has changed, but it’s easier for me to buy shoes elsewhere.
  • I think what I learned most from this experience is that there’s no such thing as “fancy” running shoes – it’s just a matter of finding the right shoes. Yes, these shoes cost more than I usually spend. But that’s because I’ve always bought whatever shoes were cheapest, not what felt best. I think that getting fitted for running shoes is an idea that scares off some casual runners like me, and it really shouldn’t. Running shoes are running shoes, no matter what your level of experience or how much you pay for them.

I went in to the store hoping to find a runDisney runner, but knowing it was not likely. I got the next best thing – Charlotte was from Orlando (just moved to NY recently) and worked at the expo in January (I believe she said she worked at a running store in Florida and they sent her to work the expo for some company, I don’t remember who it was). We instantly bonded over Disney (I’m guessing she had noticed my Disney Vera Bradley bag), which was great! She said she’s considering the Disney Marathon, but she’s not sure because a marathon is a big commitment (she’s done several half marathons, but never a full).

Finding someone who gets you like that is both a wonderful and horrible thing. I have a person at my local running store and he gets me like that and it has probably increased my spending and loyalty to the running store significantly.

Just remember fit first, color second. :cutie:

• I had wanted to try the shoes outside. One of the reasons why I picked this store is because of its proximity to Central Park (not that I thought they would let me try them out in Central Park, but I wanted to ask). I decided not to even ask about it because it had been raining earlier and the ground was wet. I do wish there had been a way to better simulate running outside, though – I don’t think running around the wood floors in the store is the same thing (and treadmill running is definitely not).

One thing to know is most running stores have very generous return/exchange policy. My store for example is 21 days on shoes for any reason and no matter if they've been worn or not. So if when you get them outside they don't feel right you can probably still exchange them. For example, I was between a size and a half size and had sized down only to realize that my feet swelled enough on my 10 mile long run that I needed the bigger size. A week later they had no problem exchanging them for the larger size.

Finding someone who gets you like that is both a wonderful and horrible thing. I have a person at my local running store and he gets me like that and it has probably increased my spending and loyalty to the running store significantly.

Yeah ... after that encounter I'm kinda glad it's a bit of a commute for me to get to the store, or I'd be back buying more soon.

Just remember fit first, color second. :cutie:

True, but it's nice when the best color is the best fit! Once she brought out the larger pair of Brooks shoes, those were a more boring color, but if they were the best fit, I would have gone with the boring color. I just got lucky.

One thing to know is most running stores have very generous return/exchange policy. My store for example is 21 days on shoes for any reason and no matter if they've been worn or not. So if when you get them outside they don't feel right you can probably still exchange them. For example, I was between a size and a half size and had sized down only to realize that my feet swelled enough on my 10 mile long run that I needed the bigger size. A week later they had no problem exchanging them for the larger size.

That's a good point - I'll see how they are when I run in them next week, and if I have problems, hopefully I'll be able to return them (the return policy just says original packaging, so I'm hoping that as long as they're still in pretty much perfect condition, I'll be fine).
One of the reasons we did size up for these shoes was in case of swelling - so it's possible I'll have to wear thicker socks on shorter runs, but I'm hoping my feet swell the same amount no matter how much I'm running. So thanks for sharing your experience, because now I actually feel like sizing up was a great idea.

You are doing a great job logging in the miles! :)

It was interesting to see you post a timeline on how quickly you can run and then get ready to leave. I really always underestimate that for myself. I have a hard time just jumping in the shower after a run and usually take a 10-30 minute (depending on the runs length) recovery time and I know this yet I rarely account for it when planning my morning.

I didn't know the Princess 5K didn't sell out right away. Are you guys really thinking of going?

I liked hearing about your shoe buying experience. I would say it was pretty similar to experiences I have had. That's great that you clicked with your sales person...they really make all the difference and for me make the extra money spent worth it. You don't get that kind of attention and service at Kohls. ;)

I really like the pair you chose! It's great when the pair that you like for comfort is also a pair you like the look of. And $102 seems very reasonable.

I need shoes once we get back. I had decided to try and find the ones I bought last time (at a running store) online and I can't find them anywhere. I'm wondering if running stores actually have different model numbers on the shoes or something to make it so people can't find them on there own? I've had zero problems with the pair I have had (well outside of losing 3 toe nails...) and was thinking this time around I might just order them but it looks like I might have to go back to the store to get a new pair.

You are doing a great job logging in the miles! :)

Thanks!

It was interesting to see you post a timeline on how quickly you can run and then get ready to leave. I really always underestimate that for myself. I have a hard time just jumping in the shower after a run and usually take a 10-30 minute (depending on the runs length) recovery time and I know this yet I rarely account for it when planning my morning.

I really wasn't sure how long it would take and I wanted to get a good sense. There are definitely things that took me longer than expected and things that were faster than I thought. I always try to give myself more time than I need in case something comes up (like today, when I had to wait 15 minutes for my shower because my brother was in the shower when I got home), but it's good to know that I can do it faster if necessary.

I didn't know the Princess 5K didn't sell out right away. Are you guys really thinking of going?

We wanted to ... we loved Princess Weekend last year and would love to go back (let's face it ... we all know that Beth and I love princesses). But it sold out at some point Sunday, so it's a moot point now. But I was very surprised that it took so long to sell out.

I liked hearing about your shoe buying experience. I would say it was pretty similar to experiences I have had. That's great that you clicked with your sales person...they really make all the difference and for me make the extra money spent worth it. You don't get that kind of attention and service at Kohls. ;)

The personal attention and awesome salesperson definitely made the experience great, and I'm really glad I went in. At the end of the day, I think I will get try to my next pair cheaper elsewhere, but if I need anything else, I'll happily go back and spend the money there. I'm already planning to take Beth there when she needs new shoes.

I really like the pair you chose! It's great when the pair that you like for comfort is also a pair you like the look of. And $102 seems very reasonable.

Thanks! I was really glad that I was able to get cute shoes that worked well for me, and the price was pretty good too ... but a drop hard to swallow for someone who usually pays less than $50 for shoes.

I need shoes once we get back. I had decided to try and find the ones I bought last time (at a running store) online and I can't find them anywhere. I'm wondering if running stores actually have different model numbers on the shoes or something to make it so people can't find them on there own? I've had zero problems with the pair I have had (well outside of losing 3 toe nails...) and was thinking this time around I might just order them but it looks like I might have to go back to the store to get a new pair.

Maybe they just discontinued the shoes you have? I've been able to find all of the shoes I tried online, but that was also a few hours after I tried them on. I don't know how frequently they update shoes, so I don't know if maybe they've come out with a new model. But that is weird ... I guess you'll have to go back to the store.

Progress Update: 7/24

Weight Loss:

My Friday weigh-in was up 2 lbs, back to where I started the month.
I have been eating everything in sight (and some things not in sight) this week, so this was probably the least surprising thing ever.

Once again I’m focusing on my coffee intake. The goal is still no more than 3 cups of coffee per week. This week started off not so great. Sunday we went to Starbucks after our Kohl’s trip (they’re in the same shopping complex) because my sister needed coffee, and while I was there I wanted coffee. Then I had coffee again on Monday. Tuesday I wanted to go without coffee, but I was having a hard time staying awake … so I think we know what that means. 3 cups of coffee halfway through the week. I managed to stay away from the coffee Wednesday and Thursday, but … Friday I was cranky so I went to Starbucks (the good thing about that trip is that I was able to get coffee for Beth, who hadn’t had coffee yet because of bad soy milk). So for those of you counting ... that's 4 cups. :(

July Weight Loss Progress: 0/2 lb (0%)

Running:
This week was scheduled to be 1 long run and 1 medium run.

Tuesday 7/21:
This was supposed to be a 45-minute “medium” run, but since we’re coming off a heat wave (it was already over 80° when I went out at 7), I decided to do 2.5 to 3 miles, whatever felt right. I ended up deciding to do 2.5 miles, but then keep running until I got to the area where I like to stretch and stop there.
2.71 miles in 34:04 minutes (12’33” pace)
Mile 1 was 12:29, mile 2 was 12:54. I took a few extra walk breaks, especially in mile 2, and my last 0.71 miles were actually faster than the previous two miles (I guess the fact that I was almost done motivated me to speed up). Not an easy run.
It’s easy to “blame” the difficult run on the weather or the early hour of the morning. But ultimately, I know my head wasn’t in it, and that’s why it was such a rough run. I know I can do better, and I need to take that knowledge and use it to motivate my future runs.

Thursday 7/14:
For this run I had planned to start in the park, then go to my “new” pathway, and then go back to the park, just to give me some variety and a break from the park. I ended up staying in the park the whole time (I was looking for my sister, who was apparently running right behind me for a decent chunk of the time and actually called out to me while I was refilling my water bottle ... and I didn't notice). It was okay, but I think I would have preferred to have the change of scenery.
5. 52 miles in 1:09:05 hours (12’30” pace)
Fastest mile was mile 2 at 12:16 and slowest mile was mile 3 (which included both refueling and water refilling) at 12:51.
This was scheduled as a 67 minute run, but I wanted to hit 5.5 miles, so I ended up adding another two minutes. The beginning of the run was rough, and I wasn’t sure if I would even make it to the 67 minutes, but a little before the hour mark I actually started to feel a lot better, so the extra two minutes was not a problem. It’s interesting, because I generally go out too strong I get very exhausted at the end … but this run I really felt like I was starting from scratch and I had all the energy in the world once I hit 4.5 miles.

For both of this week’s runs I got up around 6 and went out around 7. On the one hand, I like it because I feel like I’m getting a head start on the day and I’m not getting back as late. On the other hand, I’ve been more sluggish during the day and I haven’t really been able to get anything done after the run. It’s a rough situation that can be solved only by coffee … and even then not always.

July Running Goal Progress: 8/10 runs (80%)

General Stuff:
I’ve been pretty bummed about a few things this week, which is hard, because I went into the week hoping it would be a good one, and it really wasn’t. I think things that have happened (or not happened) this week played a big part in why I wasn’t paying any attention to what I was eating, I was craving coffee (even on days when I didn’t have any, I wanted), and my head just hasn’t been in the game. It hasn’t been a fun week.

Sarah's Funny of the Week:
I saw this joke online and thought it was appropriate for a week where I did two early runs:

Q: Why do runners go jogging early in the morning?
A: They want to finish before their brain figures out what they're doing.
Yes, I’ve taken to finding jokes on the internet for this section of the update. That’s how my week has been.

I feel like you are narrating my week in regards to the coffee and being tired after running. I've been running at night and then I hit the hay, and the next morning I always reach for a cup of coffee. It's a cycle for sure.
You are stronger than I for even just doing 4 cups. I wish you much luck and strength in getting down to 3 next week.
(Now maybe I should go re-fill my water.)

That joke is pretty hilarious too.

I feel like you are narrating my week in regards to the coffee and being tired after running. I've been running at night and then I hit the hay, and the next morning I always reach for a cup of coffee. It's a cycle for sure.

I definitely started drinking more coffee when I started running. Running uses up a lot of energy, and (for me at least) coffee is a wonderful way to replenish that energy! If I ran at night and went to bed shortly after, I'd probably need coffee to be waiting for me when I get up.

You are stronger than I for even just doing 4 cups. I wish you much luck and strength in getting down to 3 next week.

Thanks. I've always tried very hard not to be someone who drank coffee every day, just because I know there will be days when I can't have coffee, and I don't need the caffeine withdrawal problems. But it's hard because I love coffee! My ultimate goal is 3-4 cups per week, but I'm trying to start just by getting used to 3, and then adding the possibility of that 4th cup once I know I can live without it.

(Now maybe I should go re-fill my water.)

Yes! Always keep your water refilled!

That joke is pretty hilarious too.

Yep, definitely a good one, I laughed when I saw it. And so true ... I was up so early for my run this morning that I'm still not sure my brain has woken up!

Advice Needed
Hi awesome readers!
So, something happened this morning … I’m still a little emotional about it, and while I’m trying to write rationally, the emotion might leak in a little.

Today was my first run with my adorable new shoes, and I knew it was going to be awesome … except it wasn’t. It SUCKED!

First sign of not awesomeness: My left arch started to hurt while walking to the park
Second sign of not awesomeness: My (also left) ankle started to hurt early in the run, and my shin hurt at a few points
Third sign of not awesomeness: There was a point where I was looking at my feet (yes, I know, I should look straight ahead) and it both looked and felt like my left foot was rolling outward (I may have been wrong about that, especially because I’ve never felt my feet rolling inward in other shoes, but that’s how it felt)
Fourth sign of not awesomeness: There was a period of 30-45 seconds where BOTH thighs hurt (although that could have been non-shoe related)

This really wasn’t a good run (shoe-wise), and the way I see it, I have 2 choices:

Option 1: Blame it on the fact that I’m still getting used to the new shoes, which are fairly different than my old shoes (different cushioning, which could affect all of the above, I think), and give the shoes a second try
Option 2: Clean the bottom of the shoes well, and if I can get them to look new return them and get the Brooks Ravenna (which was my second choice shoe at the fitting). However, if I can’t get the bottoms to look fairly new, I think I have to keep them.

So here is where I need help from my readers – what should I do? Try the shoes again or return them? Or is there some third option I’m not seeing here?

I was pretty close to crying on my run this morning, and this is really a harder situation for me than I think it sounds. So any advice or help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I definitely have a difficult decision to make, especially because I really wanted these shoes to work out well for me.

Advice Needed
Hi awesome readers!
So, something happened this morning … I’m still a little emotional about it, and while I’m trying to write rationally, the emotion might leak in a little.

Today was my first run with my adorable new shoes, and I knew it was going to be awesome … except it wasn’t. It SUCKED!

First sign of not awesomeness: My left arch started to hurt while walking to the park
Second sign of not awesomeness: My (also left) ankle started to hurt early in the run, and my shin hurt at a few points
Third sign of not awesomeness: There was a point where I was looking at my feet (yes, I know, I should look straight ahead) and it both looked and felt like my left foot was rolling outward (I may have been wrong about that, especially because I’ve never felt my feet rolling inward in other shoes, but that’s how it felt)
Fourth sign of not awesomeness: There was a period of 30-45 seconds where BOTH thighs hurt (although that could have been non-shoe related)

This really wasn’t a good run (shoe-wise), and the way I see it, I have 2 choices:

Option 1: Blame it on the fact that I’m still getting used to the new shoes, which are fairly different than my old shoes (different cushioning, which could affect all of the above, I think), and give the shoes a second try
Option 2: Clean the bottom of the shoes well, and if I can get them to look new return them and get the Brooks Ravenna (which was my second choice shoe at the fitting). However, if I can’t get the bottoms to look fairly new, I think I have to keep them.

So here is where I need help from my readers – what should I do? Try the shoes again or return them? Or is there some third option I’m not seeing here?

I was pretty close to crying on my run this morning, and this is really a harder situation for me than I think it sounds. So any advice or help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I definitely have a difficult decision to make, especially because I really wanted these shoes to work out well for me.

Sorry to hear you had a bad run. That being said new shoes can/do take some adjustment. I would give them another try.

I had a horrible run for me last Wednesday, went out for a medium effort (about 8:30-8:45 pace for me) which should have been and just could not put out faster than long run pace (about 9:15). I was tired and I was sore and I was mentally spent after that run. The next day my two of my BRFs (best running friends) asked me to run with them (managed an 8:00 pace but it felt easier than the day before's run) and I did a track work out and they both went great. I say this to show you we all have bad runs. I ran consistently for 3 years, took 2 years kind of off where I ran occasionally but mostly did yoga and pilates, and have been back to "serious" training for just under a year now. We all have bad days and to quote the great philosopher Taylor Swift sometimes you got to "Shake it off."

I would give the shoes at least one if not two more tries before you "blame" them. Consider trying them on a different route or a different length/effort. That should give you a better idea of if it's the shoes or not. I'd also check the store's return exchange/policy just to be sure you have time to test them out again. (I'm guessing your fine, but this also may reassure you. I'm guessing unless you've run through mud or something you don't even necessarily need to clean them really well [I've never been sure if they actually try to re-sell shoes that were run in or if they use them for community programs. It may just depend on the store and level of use.])

I had a horrible run for me last Wednesday, went out for a medium effort (about 8:30-8:45 pace for me) which should have been and just could not put out faster than long run pace (about 9:15). I was tired and I was sore and I was mentally spent after that run. The next day my two of my BRFs (best running friends) asked me to run with them (managed an 8:00 pace but it felt easier than the day before's run) and I did a track work out and they both went great. I say this to show you we all have bad runs. I ran consistently for 3 years, took 2 years kind of off where I ran occasionally but mostly did yoga and pilates, and have been back to "serious" training for just under a year now. We all have bad days and to quote the great philosopher Taylor Swift sometimes you got to "Shake it off."

Thank you so much for posting this. It's definitely discouraging when I have a rough run, especially when it's one that I expect to be easier, but it's good to have a reminder that everyone has these days and I just have to go back out there and try again another day.
And T-Swift really gives the best advice!

I would give the shoes at least one if not two more tries before you "blame" them. Consider trying them on a different route or a different length/effort. That should give you a better idea of if it's the shoes or not. I'd also check the store's return exchange/policy just to be sure you have time to test them out again. (I'm guessing your fine, but this also may reassure you. I'm guessing unless you've run through mud or something you don't even necessarily need to clean them really well [I've never been sure if they actually try to re-sell shoes that were run in or if they use them for community programs. It may just depend on the store and level of use.])

Thanks for the advice! I definitely think there could have been a lot of factors involved (and the shoes were just one of them), so I think you're right about giving them another try. I was hesitant to start them off on a long run, but I think I will take them on my long run later this week because I'll be taking it a little easier (or at least trying to ... sometimes I overdo it on my long runs). It'll also give me a chance to try different surfaces ... since I'm playing around with my long run route anyway, and the one I'm working on now has minor surface changes (it's a mixture of asphalt and sidewalk).
Hopefully this was just first-run adjustment problems and the shoes will be good. It's just frustrating because they felt good in the store and I wanted them to work out well right away.
If I remember the return policy correctly (I don't have it in front of me), it's 21 days (which is next week since I bought them on the 15th) and it has to be in a condition that they can sell it (which is why I want to clean them, because the soles do look a little dirty). I'm pretty sure I can clean them well enough for them to look new, but I tend to panic sometimes and assume things won't work.

Here is my advice, first call up the store you bought them at and find out what the return policy is, most running stores will allow you to return shoes even if you have worn them, the store I shop at for instance has a 60 day return policy (90 if you are a vip member, part of the reason I shop there) If you find that you can return them even if they are worn then give them another run or two, if I remember correctly they put you in a stability shoe and those can take some getting used to, if you still are having issue's then return them and try out something else

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter