Be aware that Disney's rain ponchos make everyone . ..

Don't forget that if you buy a Disney poncho and it rips, you can have a free replacement from any of the stores! :D

In August my daughter ripped bad and they would not replace it. Said we needed a receipt to show we'd purchased it that day. We had purchased the night before. :(

Where was this? Last September we got a free replacement for a yellow Disney poncho that had torn at the neck. I don't even know how long we had been using it as they have been selling clear ones for a few years now. We did the exchange at Epcot in the shop by the Friendship boats. No fuss, no muss.

Last edited:
Oh and we put a small strip of Duct tape on the back of our ponchos where the hood attaches to the poncho for identification purposes. It works pretty well for spotting from behind in a sea of matching clear ponchos.

In August my daughter ripped bad and they would not replace it. Said we needed a receipt to show we'd purchased it that day. We had purchased the night before. :(

You quoted a post that is 13 years old. Things change. And while I think it is reasonable to ask to see a receipt, that isn't something that is in practice everywhere in the parks.

Also interesting to note years later that last summer a CM told me the look alike issue is exactly why the ponchos are clear now.

look up the KonMari method of folding. I'm telling you your clothes will be half he size and those ponchos can be small again.

I do NOT fold, just wad, (I cannot for the life of me fold a fitted sheet) hence the dollar store Ponchos. Use 'em and toss 'em. That's my motto!

I use the Frog Togg Ponchos. They are so nice because they don't stick to you and get as hot as the plastic kind, they have a coating on the inside that is soft. Also We roll them and keep rubber bands with them so that they can roll up tight. They are washable too, I highly recommend them. Last trip I even used one on the boat from WL to MK on a chilly evening as a blanket. I purchased mine in the camping section at our local Wal-Mart.

If you get the ones that are literally see through then you can still see what the person is wearing, although thats not always that helpful when everyone is wearing them haha
We ended up having to get some from seaworld once and wore them in Disney and as they're bright blue, we could spot each other from anywhere!

Best $12 we ever spent-used them on 4-5 trips so far as it almost always rains when we go!

Don't forget, once you get back to your room, to spread the ponchos out to dry. If you don't, the ponchos can get very moldy/mildewy (which is really nasty if you are allergic!). Once they are dry, they really do fold up pretty nicely, though never as small as originally. Heck, we've reused ponchos for years. Even have some of the old clear ones from early 80's. ;)
We still have our bright yellow ones from 2002!!! Still using them.
I will warn everyone, those dollar store ones stick to you really bad because they are so thin and cheap. But benefit is you can just toss them I guess.

Our Dollar Tree also has the ponchos, as mentioned by another poster...wondering if they are going to be too thin?!? I'll be taking a trip there today...I also got teeny umbrellas that will fit in our packs & Mickey Mouse keychains at our Dollar Tree.

Not sure if you're talking about the disposable ones, but we bought some of these from the dollar store for our first trip and realized that they're okay as a one-use on something like Splash Mountain, but way to thin for substantial rain, especially if there's the least big of wind involved. They blow around like an extra think trash bag and you end up mostly wet.

Our Dollar Tree also has the ponchos, as mentioned by another poster...wondering if they are going to be too thin?!? I'll be taking a trip there today...I also got teeny umbrellas that will fit in our packs & Mickey Mouse keychains at our Dollar Tree.
I've seen lots of the cheap ones at Wdw, they are very thin and shorter too. Coverage doesn't look great. If it's raining a long time I don't think you'll stay very dry. They seem ok for a short sprinkle, then you can just throw it out. People buying these usually buy lots and just use them for one use and toss.

I buy the Disney ones that last over several trips. Just have to remember to hang them up to dry out at night. We use hangers and hang them on shower rod. If they rip you can get free replacement.

Wear a hat and a light rain jacket....you can tie it around your waist when you do not need it.....no ponchos needed...

A rain jacket is great because you can store your stuff in the pockets and skip bag check, but if you need a backpack because of kids, a poncho covers both you & the backpack.

When I see people putting on their Disney ponchos, it always reminds me of the time we sat waiting for Fantasmic to start. It was threatening rain, but seemed to hold out. the sales people came thru and sold enough ponchos to make a solid sea of yellow. Once sales slowed, Fantasmic was cancelled. Neat trick.

Oh and we put a small strip of Duct tape on the back of our ponchos where the hood attaches to the poncho for identification purposes. It works pretty well for spotting from behind in a sea of matching clear ponchos.
Nice! Thanks.

YES - thank you for posting! We learned this the hard way at Disneyland. We got off of Small World,which exits through a gift shop. My 6 year old nephew followed the wrong poncho out the door, and we lost him for a terrifying half hour. Disney staff were superb, and helped calm us by stating they have never lost a child. A nice lady found him wandering in Toon Town and were were reunited. Ugh....horrible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter