BBB and buying the dress!

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
Sooo my daughter is insistant that she wants to pick out her dress at BBB when she goes. She's seen the videos of the little girl getting done up and picking out her princess dress!! I on the other hand don't want to pay $$$$ for one. My plan is to buy a knockoff (one that is comfortable), wrap it and give it to her the night before with a note from "Mickey" saying something creative.

Anyone have experience with this?? I'll admit.... if she throws a fit in the store I will probably cave. And she has a twin sister that will also be getting done up so then she'll want one from the store too! Then I'll end up buying 4 dresses!!!

We went last December. The whole trip was a surprise but my daughter had done the BBB when she went a few years ago and she loved it. I knew ahead of time she would want an Elsa dress and I didn't want to risk it not being there or not having her size so I just bought it ahead of time. The night before the trip we told them and I showed her the dress and told her she was going to BBB again. She was so excited. She didn't care about picking out a dress there because I had gotten her one already. She was almost 6 when we went. Maybe if you just get them ones you think they will love or even ask them what they think they want to dress as they will be so happy and surprised when you buy it ahead of time :) Good luck

Last time we did BBB my dd didn't even know picking out a dress was an option and the stuff isn't right there up front where they will see it anyway. For our next trip I'm doing something similar by buying the dress ahead of time and it is going to be "delivered" by tinker bell and will be there when she wakes up in the morning with a note from tink saying that the princesses asked her to drop it off and there will be a trail of gold glitter from the dress to the window.

If my daughter didn't already have so many princess dresses from the Disney store I'd buy one from mom approved costumes. My niece has one and it feels so soft and comfy, it's machine washable, and my sister said she only paid around $30. I think it being gift wrapped with a note from Mickey, or maybe the fairy godmother, is an adorable idea. Enjoy your trip!

Last time we did BBB my dd didn't even know picking out a dress was an option and the stuff isn't right there up front where they will see it anyway. For our next trip I'm doing something similar by buying the dress ahead of time and it is going to be "delivered" by tinker bell and will be there when she wakes up in the morning with a note from tink saying that the princesses asked her to drop it off and there will be a trail of gold glitter from the dress to the window.

I like this idea too! I'm just hoping if I make it special enough she'll forget all about getting one at BBB!!

We did the pick your dress etc last time- WAY too much money. I said never again and I don't have a problem splurging a little on vacations. I'd rather buy the dress beforehand then have the cast member give it to DD as a surprise from Princess Cinderella or whoever their favorite princess is. I booked BBB but changed my mind decided to try to pirates league this time. I know the BBB is an experience which I love the set up but you could do DD's hair and nails before then take her behind the castle to get the special "fairy dusting" for free.

We did BBB for DD on 2 separate trips. The first we brought her Snow White dress for MNSSHP as she was obsessed with everything Snow White. She knew about and had a blast.

This last trip was a complete surprise, including BBB. She did not have an Anna dress, so I bought one from the Disney Store ahead of the trip (on sale, maybe $25-$30) kept it in a bag, and then pulled it out of the bag when she started looking at the dresses at BBB. A little rumpled but we fluffed it out. She was so excited and still had the whole experience of getting to put it on in the dressing room ahead of time. Tricky to keep it a secret, but she loved it, and saved $$ on the dress too.

Do you have a Disney Store near you...? I would wait til they have their big costume sale and take the girls to pick an outfit out. It will still feel special, and you get an official dress for a fraction of the price.

Mom Approved Costumes is great. She will even include a "love note" with dresses. The costumes are so soft and comfy. If you're looking for the "brand" it's Little Adventures. Sometimes dresses of that brand show up on Amazon on sale, but they're usually around $30. Little Dress Up Shop sells the same dresses as well. Again, prices are just about the same, though Little Dress Up Shop was just running a good sale on a few of their dresses and has free shipping.

Mom Approved Costumes is great. She will even include a "love note" with dresses. The costumes are so soft and comfy. If you're looking for the "brand" it's Little Adventures. Sometimes dresses of that brand show up on Amazon on sale, but they're usually around $30. Little Dress Up Shop sells the same dresses as well. Again, prices are just about the same, though Little Dress Up Shop was just running a good sale on a few of their dresses and has free shipping.

Yes I've been looking at those. Waiting just a bit longer to make sure my girls don't change their minds on who they want to be!

We bring our dresses because kiddo (now 4) HATES itchy things with a passion. Or scratchy things. She wears a dress every day at WDW and we get them just after halloween on sale. They're better made and less itchy than many of the park dresses.

My daughter (6) knew about BBB and we picked out her dress and accessories together at the Disney Store before our trip. She wasn't tempted by the dresses in the front of the boutique but she really wanted some gloves. She was Cinderella, and we thought her dress was prettier than the ones in BBB. I'm sure if "Mickey" leaves your daughter a dress as a present she would be more thrilled than picking something out in the boutique!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!