Bathroom Breaks and Children

Holstar

Have faith in your dreams <3
Hello!

I was advised to post here, as I'm a bit worried about our upcoming trip and I'm really hoping for some tips!

We're coming to WDW for the first time (yay!) this August, with our three nieces. My middle niece will be 13, and suffers from a number of bladder problems due to having contracted meningitis as a child.

The biggest problem she faces, is that she is very rarely aware that she needs to go to the toilet until she needs to go right that minute and we have to do a bit of a dash for the nearest bathrooms.

We have done theme parks before, including Disneyland Paris, and our plan is to take regular bathroom breaks, going before any rides which we know have a big queue... but inevitably she will need to go at some point, and with 14 days in WDW she (and I) are anxious about what will happen if we have to repeatedly leave an attraction queue. I don't expect this to happen all the time, but during our six days at Disneyland Paris, we needed to leave and re-enter ride queues maybe nine or ten times.

Would be be able to return to our place in the queue, if we ask the rest of our party to wait and let others pass until we return? Or would this annoy others in the queue? Or, should I explain that should this happen and we need to leave the queue, we'll have to join the back of the queue or perhaps miss the ride out this time?

I know re-entering ride queues is a contentious issue on the boards, so I'm sorry if this offends anyone!

Thanks in advance!

One very anxious aunty x

I think your plan is really the best option going for you. My DD has similar issues so I understand the concern. You could try to request a DAS, but I know from personal experience that it was hit-or-miss with the old GAC as to getting one for bathroom needs. So your best defense is a strong offense -- and your "plan" fits that. I'd also suggest picking up a park map first thing and making sure you are always aware of where the nearest restrooms are located.

As to leaving the line...if you have to, you have to. Speak with the CM on your way out and see if they can offer any assistance. But I don't recommend trying to regain your position in line -- there will be a number of people you'd have to pass who 1) aren't aware that you left because they've joined the line since then, or 2) simply will not allow anyone to pass regardless of your reason. The queues can be fairly tight and winding. Again -- making sure she uses the restroom before getting into a line is your best bet.

What is your plan once you are on the ride/show? Some simply cannot be stopped and she will have no "out" once she has boarded the ride or the show has started. Also, some (I'm thinking Ellen's Universe of Energy) are quite long. At 13, would she be willing to wear an incontinence pad as a back-up? You'll really need to plan for the "what-if" situations.

Enjoy your vacation!

My 10 year old DD has difficulty recognizing when she needs to go. I've been told it is related to her sensory issues, but the reason doesn't change how we address it. We stop frequently to go to the restroom and always stop in to the restroom before entering a long line.

It can be difficult to leave and re-enter the line due to the setup of the lines. When we go to WDW, it's usually just DD and me. With no one else to hold our place, if we have to leave the line we would have no other choice than to just come back to the end of the line. On our last trip, DD was finally old enough I was comfortable letting her go to the restroom without me as long as the restroom was close by. We really didn't do this for rides, but there were a couple character lines where it was easy to leave and re-enter. In those cases, I would let her go by herself while I stood in line. But those instances were the exception rather than the rule.

I was wondering the same thing as lanejudy. Would your niece agree to wearing an incontinence pad just as a precaution in case she didn't quite make it in time? Lines at the restrooms usually move fast, but there have been occasions when we reach the restroom and have a wait.

I agree with the other posters that incontinence pads may be a good idea. There will be times when you dimply can't leave - like during rides and attractions. And, there are sometimes long lines in the bathrooms. Just knowing she is 'protected' may help with some of her issues - being nervous about losing control can lead to loss of control.
If she doesn't like the idea of pads, there are a number of companies that make absorbent reusable underwear. This company in the UK makes especially nice ones (plus the people are very nice)
http://www.pshealthcare.co.uk/incontinence/index.asp?section=adult_incontinence_12

If she hasn't seen a urologist recently, it may be helpful to get a consultation. There may be new treatments since she was seen last or treatments that were not appropriate for her before because of her age that could be used now. Some people also have good luck with timed voiding.

I think in general your plan (without trying to reclaim the spot in the queue if you have to leave), is going to be the best bet for a plan you know will work. You definitely could consider requesting a DAS by explaining what you explained here (the frequency of how often you still had to leave queues at DLP may help). That would allow you to wait outside the queue so she'd be able to really go to the bathroom as close to when she boards the ride as possible. That said, it's definitely something where the CM may not feel a DAS is appropriate. lanejudy's suggestion about informing a cast member if you do have to leave a queue is a good one.

There are definitely some attractions she may need to avoid. Ellen's Universe of Energy is around 40-45 minutes long and there's no way to get off it once started (if someone were to stand up and try to leave, the ride would stop and have to completely be reset before restarting). Shows she should be able to leave if needed. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure exactly which other rides might be problematic off the top of my head. Outdoor queues for character meet & greets, someone can usually hold a place in the queue if she needs to make a dash.

I also agree with the others about whether she'd be willing to wear incontinence pads. I'd even consider seeing if she'd wear a full "adult nappy" on the plane. I have similar issues (just not quite as often) as your niece and once nearly had a very embarrassing accident on a transatlantic flight. There was quite a bit of turbulence towards the end and the fasten seatbelt sign was on for at least the last 2 hours before arrival (it may have been as many as 3 hours). Since it would also be very bad to suggest she be dehydrated while flying, having something more protective might provide some peace of mind. I actually know plenty of people who have no problems with continence at all who use "adult nappies" for long flights just in case all the bathrooms keep being full or the sort of issue with the seatbelt sign being on for extended periods of time that I had.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and support. Sorry for not coming back sooner - we've just moved house so it's been a hectic few days! Out of interest, does anyone know what the average wait times may be at the very end of August/beginning of September (22nd August - 9th September)? I know in DLP, you can expect 60min waits, going up to 90-120mins during busy parts of the day, on most popular rides as a standard, FastPass is much less popular and less used.

I think in general your plan (without trying to reclaim the spot in the queue if you have to leave), is going to be the best bet for a plan you know will work. You definitely could consider requesting a DAS by explaining what you explained here (the frequency of how often you still had to leave queues at DLP may help). That would allow you to wait outside the queue so she'd be able to really go to the bathroom as close to when she boards the ride as possible. That said, it's definitely something where the CM may not feel a DAS is appropriate. lanejudy's suggestion about informing a cast member if you do have to leave a queue is a good one.

I've been trying to do some reading on the DAS - I might just pop in and try and speak to someone about it, and see whether they feel it's appropriate. If not, we'll find a way to manage I'm sure. But waiting outside of the queue area, for the required queue time (or a bit longer) would be our ideal solution I guess. Just somewhere she could run off to the bathrooms from, without annoying anyone! I just don't want to inconvenience anyone else. I guess I'm more worried about WDW that I was DLP, because with the girls not being used to the heat or humidity, they'll be drinking much much more than usual. Which will have the obvious effects!

I also agree with the others about whether she'd be willing to wear incontinence pads. I'd even consider seeing if she'd wear a full "adult nappy" on the plane. I have similar issues (just not quite as often) as your niece and once nearly had a very embarrassing accident on a transatlantic flight. There was quite a bit of turbulence towards the end and the fasten seatbelt sign was on for at least the last 2 hours before arrival (it may have been as many as 3 hours). Since it would also be very bad to suggest she be dehydrated while flying, having something more protective might provide some peace of mind. I actually know plenty of people who have no problems with continence at all who use "adult nappies" for long flights just in case all the bathrooms keep being full or the sort of issue with the seatbelt sign being on for extended periods of time that I had.

We've suggested the incontinence pads idea, and the adult nappy and well, you can imagine the look of disgust we were given by a thirteen year old girl! I think the difficulty we have is that their parents seem to do the bare minimum with regards to actually tackling the problem. She does have tablets she takes before bed, to help limit bed wetting during the night, but her mum and dad were really unsure whether these would be suitable during the day too. They very much have the attitude of dealing with the consequences, rather than trying to find a solution, and would rather give her spare underwear to take to school than keep going back to the doctors, and she is naturally very very embarrassed about it and too shy to say something 99% of the time. Sorry for that rant - that's been building up for a while!

Truthfully though, I hadn't considered the plane journey. We flew to DLP, but that was only an hour and going to the bathroom right before boarding, once during the flight and then again when getting off the plane was enough. Given it's such a long flight, I think we will definitely need to have a discussion with her about the adult nappy idea, just in case. Thank you for that suggestion!

Just a thought that Perhaps she may consider trying one out to see if she is comfortable prior to the trip. They make them pretty comfortable these days unlike the bulky obvious ones years ago.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and support. Sorry for not coming back sooner - we've just moved house so it's been a hectic few days! Out of interest, does anyone know what the average wait times may be at the very end of August/beginning of September (22nd August - 9th September)? I know in DLP, you can expect 60min waits, going up to 90-120mins during busy parts of the day, on most popular rides as a standard, FastPass is much less popular and less used.

We go the last two weeks of August every year. The week right before labor day we get on most rides in 10-15 minutes or so once the day starts up, headliners are more in the 20-50 range.
If you go in the morning and return after dinner it will be pleasant. The week after Labor day will be even slower. Historically labor day weekend is busier, but last year everybody was saying the parks were completely empty- so hopefully that can happen again for you.

We go the last two weeks of August every year. The week right before labor day we get on most rides in 10-15 minutes or so once the day starts up, headliners are more in the 20-50 range. If you go in the morning and return after dinner it will be pleasant. The week after Labor day will be even slower. Historically labor day weekend is busier, but last year everybody was saying the parks were completely empty- so hopefully that can happen again for you.

Keep n mind that it is hard to predict what wait times will be like due to FP+. You see reports all over the board, from wait times being low like the year before, to obscene waits for both standby and FP lines. Even if she gets a DAS to wait outside the line, she will still have to use the FP line when her return time is up. There are times that line can still be 15-20 minutes if reports are to be believed. So she may still end up in a situation where she can't quickly get to a bathroom.

1) PERSONALLY SPEAKING, we do let a parent with one kid back into line.
2) I don't mind the "emergency" potty break for kiddies.
3) And, I don't even put up a fuss when they walk by me.
4) Yes, I know, even I don't mind.

5) Where I DO GET PERTURBED is when a parent has 2-or-more kids.
6) Or, if I see a parent sitting outside the line then joining.
7) To me, this means they waited until their other-half got closer in line.
8) I do not go along with line-jumping.

NOTE: I have yet to see an Attractions CM not let a parent and kid back into line after a potty break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter