Basking in the Glow of the (not so) Creepy Clown -2/11-Pictures, Final Thoughts, PTR!

Discussion in 'Completed Trip Reports' started by brookelizabeth, Sep 12, 2010.

1. brookelizabeth

brookelizabeth <font color=red>Jambo Wildbunch Gang<br><font colo

And now it's been a week since I updated. :laughing: I was on a roll, but real life took over for a bit. I'm hoping to get an update here tonight or tomorrow since Joe doesn't work! YAY!

Henry - brother, sister??!?! Huh?!?!?!?!

:lmao:

No plans for another one - BUT, yes, if it were to happen, then I do hope he looks at them that way rather than this: :mad: ;)

Yes! I agree! I despise being lost - esp when I'm tired and have a map! That was one of the many reasons I don't like driving - it helped when we finally got a GPS, but man, I do NOT missing having a car at all! I love being able to just walk or take public transit.

Joe and I were shocked that Henry didn't completely crash out, or have a bazillion meltdowns. He's getting to be a big boy and not needing a nap all the time (though, I like that he takes one!). He did fall asleep during the movie...but so did I. :rolleyes1

Thank you! I hope to put up more pics of the City soon - I just need to get them uploaded.

The meet at the Character Connection was so fun, we will definitely be doing that again in Feb/March.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. brookelizabeth

:rotfl: You are probably right - it was more walking at the resort than at Epcot! LOL! It was miserable - I was just wiped. I'm glad I wouldn't be alone in my tears and frustration through it all though!

That is HILARIOUS about your DD and the Viking!!! Oh my word! Did you take the pic???

All that running around over the laptop and Pillow Pet!:headache: It is VERY hard not to loose it when all those things happen. I was near tears at the BW. I'm so glad Joe banished me to the room for the night! :laughing: Also glad you were able to get that elusive Penguin, N will love it (at least he better after all that! ;))

EO was fantastically retro....so crazy 80s, which made it hilarious and fun. You can see the Star Wars type aliens in there, I never even thought of that!

The tears were close - very close! EO was a bit corny, but I kinda thought that's what made it great! :laughing: A lot of people cheered in the theater, they were QUITE happy with the EO return. I wonder how long it will stay?

You'd think DISNEY would have a better map than AllEars! :rotfl: :headache: Seriously....! At least I know where it is for our Feb/March trip!

We spent a tiny bit of time in the Kidani Community Hall-we always meant to go back, but never did. It was beautiful! Next time we stay there we will schedule more time in there, Henry seems to really enjoy the offerings.

That is a good point about the giant ball! I'm guessing they would deflate it, but how would you inflate it once you got home??? And where in the WORLD would anyone store such a thing?!?! :laughing:

ETA: I just went back and looked at the map we were given again - it looks ALMOST the same as the AllEars one, minus one crucial item - the numbers!

4. brookelizabeth

I slept HARD! I fell asleep during the movie (so did Henry), I was just wiped!

It was a nutty time! We were both aggravated and exhausted. Despite all the trips to the gift shop, I still wanted those jelly beans. :rotfl: How strong that power of sugar can be...

I came VERY close to going back to that CM with the map and explaining to her what I just went through...however, I know if I would have done it at that moment it wouldn't have been exactly magical. :rolleyes1

And I almost did loose it in the store - seriously, I just left the stuff on the counter and walked out. I felt so awful for the CM, but I was D-O-N-E! I told Joe to apologize to the CMs for my behavior when he went down. :lmao:

5. brookelizabeth

Yes, the previous 9 hours were quite nice! We had a wonderful time.

I honestly think we distracted Henry instead of answering his Vikings question! :laughing: We'll see how long that will work! I better research and figure out a good way to explain it all....I'm sure because there is a sword he will be drawn to it again like a moth to a flame.

Oh yes, it seems Epcot is prone to bring a Mommy Meltdown in one way or another. And you don't even have to be a Mom honestly - it just happens! :laughing:

I love how the little ones love the small things at Disney. :lovestruc I love to watch Henry chase the ducks, play in the fountains, get excited about a popcorn cart, etc. LOVE IT!

We haven't been to the Fire Museum yet! The Mom's group I belong to did an outing there but we weren't able to attend. We'll def have to go, I wasn't sure if it would be something a 3 year old would be into, or if it was more suited for a 5-7 year old, but with your recommendation, we'll go for it someday! (Hmmmm...Joe has tomorrow off...:scratchin

When we attempted Soarin' again later in the trip we told Henry, "Think tall! Think tall!" :rotfl: We'll see if it worked! ;)

The Cookie Monster and Elmo thing is weird, isn't it? The Mickey Mouse over near 5th is bad, but that Woody I think takes the cake. Just disturbing. It used to just be the Naked Cowboy, a guy pretending to be a statue and maybe Sponge Bob, but we are flooded with these weirdos now! :laughing:

It has REAL flavor! A perfect refreshing treat on a hot day. Sooooo very good. There was a lot of flavor too, it wasn't all drained to the bottom of the dish in a big mess (though, there was some of that), but the flavor retained through every bite. :thumbsup2

Henry does know quality water works! :laughing: I think my favorite is the Fountain of the Nations though, when it's night, and with the music...:cloud9:

6. brookelizabeth

I was very grateful for Joe banishing me to the room! :lovestruc He knows I'd just keep going and going because we "needed to". (but I'd be crabby and grumbling while doing it!) :laughing:

OH MY WORD! All THAT to do laundry!!!!!!!!!! :headache::headache::headache: At least all our runs were for enjoyable things like a movie and snacks! :hug: What a very, very nice man in the laundry room!

Later in the trip Joe did do laundry - he didn't forget anything but had to make a bazillion trips due to it being busy. He was a bit more than irritated as well...

:hyper: You are already gone and I hope you are having a WONDERFUL time. I gotta get into your PTR so I can read all about your TR. I hope you enjoy the BWV!

He did do really well despite not being able to ride! I'm glad we won't have that issue at all in Feb/March, he's over 40 now even in bare feet. :thumbsup2

7. brookelizabeth

I was veryyyy close to going back to that CM! But it would have been pretty ugly! :rolleyes1 I probably should have gone back to her the next day in case she steered any other guests the wrong way too.

I hope you guys get a great view too - and that you love the resort! It's huge, and sometimes that can be frustrating, but hopefully you don't experience any of that and enjoy it all!

:rotfl: I love your analogy about the mouse and the cheese! That is true, the Boardwalk is huge and it's so easy to get lost. Joe has a great sense of direction, so I usually just follow him, but let me out on my own and...:rolleyes:

I was very close to going back to that CM...I probably should have, but if I had gone right in the heat of it all, it would have been baaaaaaaaaad. :rolleyes1

This weather is WARM compared to what we are used to back in Minnesota though-even still, we are above zero, and no snow! :banana: But, that wind-holy alkjdlkjklasdf, that is sharp! Yesterday I was walking to a friends house and the wind was coming right off the East River-yowsers!

I do love how kids find magic in the most simple things - I love to watch Henry doing those things. :lovestruc

Henry gets his red hair from both sides actually! It's recessive on both sides. My Grandma (Dad's Mom) had bright red hair and a kinda-distant relative of Joe's, like a Great Aunt or something. His Dad also has some hints of red. We weren't expecting it at all, but it's been there since day one! I hope it stays. :goodvibes

It was a great day despite the craziness back at the Boardwalk. Nine hours in Epcot was wonderful, but exhaustingggggggggg!

8. brookelizabeth

:laughing: We do all have them! The crying, fitting child is a instant trigger. I had one of those today myself....:headache:

Rose and Crown was great! Total comfort food...yum. I hope you enjoy it!

::yes::

It amazes me how people south of us have snow - and yet we don't! Not a bit! It has snowed a couple times, but not enough to stick for more than an hour or two. I think we are supposed to get some on Christmas Day...and I'm just waiting for the giant blizzards, I know they will come, they always seem to!

Minnesota has something like FORTY inches already! :scared1:

I heart NY!!!!!!!

Yes, at least we can look back on it now and laugh! At the moment it was horrible. But, looking back....:rotfl2: I was a complete wreck!

We did have a fantastic room and location. I teared up the first time I saw it all. I think that was a huge bit for me falling in love with the Boardwalk!

9. brookelizabeth

I so undertand how the DIS falls to the side. It seems like the minute I get caught up, something else pops up and I fall behind again. :rolleyes: No worries! The dinner and a movie was a nice idea - and it was NICE when it finally happened, but getting there....blah!

Oh your Mickey story makes me laugh out loud! :rotfl2: I love it! How awful for Mickey to be so aggressive about a tip, serves him right for getting a penny! :thumbsup2 I had my pic taken with Sponge Bob back in 2002 before I lived here, he smelled like cigars, :sick: Like you, I had no cash, thankfully he didn't get too aggressive since he had a line! He was the only character out there at the time, we've been flooded with them lately it seems.

It was an ordeal! But, I was quite happy with my Baked Lays, Diet Coke and jelly beans! :laughing:

I loved the Yorkshire Pudding! After hearing JenJolt's description of it, I knew I had to try it. Delish. I would get that meal again in a heartbeat!

That is very cool about the DISer working there! I would have requested her! Ray was nice, and sweet, but....:rolleyes:

Despite the ordeal at the Boardwalk, the day outshone it all. Besides, there is always bound to be at least one meltdown of some sort, right?!?!

Thank you! I was excited about the ones where Henry posed. He's getting more and more into that.

Uh-oh...what's going on??? I gotta get caught up over on your report, perhaps you explained there...

Welcome back!!!!!

I haven't gotten a post card from you yet....I'll let you know when I do! We did get one the other day from another DISer, so it's okay if yours takes a while longer...gotta spread out the magic. :laughing: Sometimes Disney mail is slooooooow too for some reason. I've had trips where I mailed a postcard a few days before we left and it didn't arrive until after we got back!

I love that idea of sending them a post card from Disney, Mickey thanking them for visiting. :goodvibes

I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

10. k_reile

k_reile Slowly converting my son into a Disney lover!

I probably will not be on much until christmas...so Merry Christmas to you,Joe and Henry!

11. brookelizabeth

I always do the same thing - keep a gift card even with pennies on it! :laughing: I always think I'll remember to use them, and even sometimes write how much is left on them...but having an empty one really irked me! :laughing:

And yes, that CM almost heard back from me, but I resisted because it wouldn't have been too pretty!

Our view was AWESOME. Both day and night. We couldn't have asked for a better room!

Well, maybe. Floor 3 of that same spot would have the huge balcony and the view. ;)

:welcome: Glad you found me!! I understand about the DIS falling to the side sometimes. It seems like if I don't logon for a week, it's all down hill after that! I was off for almost a year at one point when we just had Henry! I so shoulda been here though, getting support! :laughing:

I hope your DD grows past 40 inches for your next trip! Henry is on the taller end of the spectrum for his age, chances of him being pretty tall are good. Thankfully we won't have to deal with the "tall shoes" issue for the next trip, it's hard when they are on that line!

Thank you for the sweet compliments about Henry! :lovestruc

It is nice that there is something VERY boy there, but ya....I'll be shopping while the boys browse in Feb/March!

I still tease Joe about Figment. :laughing:

The City is just soooo beautiful right now! You'll have to make it in next year after the tree is lit! Thankfully it's the same every year, so you don't miss anything! :laughing: I want to do Radio City sometime too. I think my Mom will come to NYC for Christmas in the next couple of years or so, we'll definitely be doing that!

ITA! They are so creepy and weird looking. Shudder.

The Statue of Liberty Lady - is she the one dressed up like the statue, with sunglasses on, and you can get your picture taken with him/her? I DO like those! They are very cool and clever. I have two friends that rode their bikes here from Minnesota (crazy!) and they took a picture with one of those Lady Liberty's and she wanted a picture with her own camera too!

It was delish!! We'll be doing it again on a future trip!

You SO have to trick your DH!!! It will make fantastic pictures! :rotfl:

The ordeal at the end of the night was awful, but the lovely nine hours prior to it all was great! Thankfully once we were settled we could relax and enjoy the movie---and I slept like a rock that night!

::yes:: the pictures are excellent! Esp of little ones getting their first taste. :rotfl: I will try again with Henry! I will!

We have been having a great time! Henry is about busting at the seams about Christmas. I haven't even brought out most of the presents, just the boxes that have arrived from relatives. It's going to be a very fun day.

I hope to get some more pictures of our happenings posted here soon too - maybe tonight or tomorrow!

::yes:: :lmao:

12. brookelizabeth

I have a whole slew of "housekeeping" to do here! I want to get an update, or two, done, plus a bunch of other things. Some Christmas pics and happenings, some LOVELY surprises we've gotten in the mail from fantastic people and just some generic stuff. However, I do not have all the pictures uploaded - but am working on it!

I DO have these uploaded though...enjoy. :goodvibes

About a week ago I attended an event in the City with another Mom from my neighborhood (I'll have pics of the actual event in another post), and afterwards we headed over to the "big library" to the Children's room. I never even knew there was a Children's area here -- and much to my delight look at what they have on display! (behind glass, of course)

[​IMG]

The ORIGINAL Winnie the Pooh and gang! I hope you can read that plaque, because the story is quite sweet. If it doesn't come out, I'll re-type it.

[​IMG]
    Winnie the Pooh and Piglet

[​IMG]
    Eeyore in all his adorableness.

[​IMG]
    Tigger

[​IMG]
    Kanga

I was in awe. So very cool!

13. brookelizabeth

Yesterday the doorbell rang, it was UPS with 2 packages - Christmas presents for Henry. I went into the house, set them down and literally just as I was about to sit back down on the couch, the bell rang again! 3 more packages from the USPS. One of which was unexpected....and from Germany!

The very sweet, generous, and kind, Katharina and Magdalene sent us a package!

[​IMG]

Gummies, chocolate covered hazelnuts and gingerbread.

All of which are disappearing at a rapid rate. Namely the gingerbread. :rolleyes1 But oh my, how lovely it goes with a cup of coffee in the afternoon! :cloud9:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Completely unexpected and such a wonderful surprise!!

We'll see if the gingerbread makes it to Christmas even. :laughing:

14. tinacaplan

tinacaplan DIS Veteran

What a neat suprise to find Winnie the Pooh at the library. Its just so nice when things like that happen. And I know what you mean about gingerbread, it just goes so well with coffee!

Have a very Merry Christmas, too, if I don't post on here before then!

15. brookelizabeth

The event that I attended and mentioned above in the Winnie the Pooh post was the Grand Central Holiday Train Show. In the New York City Transit Museum Shop, located in Grand Central (the actual museum is in Brooklyn - and is FANTASTIC!), has a nice set-up of model trains for the holiday season. It's really neat and especially fun for the little ones.

[​IMG]
    There were, in many spots, several stories of trains. The top train here that is a blur is supposed to be a subway train picking up the waiting passengers at a stop.

[​IMG]
    Some buildings in the middle of the display to represent the NYC skyline. There were details of people and taxi's within the streets.

[​IMG]
    A maze of tracks --- not in NYC, you can't find houses like that here! :laughing:

[​IMG]
    Not a great picture, but it was really neat when the trains would come flying out of the various tunnels.

[​IMG]
    They would even occasionally get a red light and have to stop. And yes, the switch really did change from green to red!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The seaport.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Grand Central Station with cabs waiting for the passengers just off the trains.

[​IMG]
    A little boy in awe. :cutie:

[​IMG]
    Brooklyn Bridge

[​IMG]

16. brookelizabeth

This past Sunday we ventured down to the World Financial Center after church. By the name alone, you can assume correctly that this is right next to where the former World Trade Center stood.

It is still very humbling and emotional to me to walk around in this area, especially so close to the construction. Artist renderings of what the future holds for this area surround it on fences, which is encouraging. The September 11 Memorial will open on September 11, 2011. I look forward to seeing it and will be happy to see a monument finally built honoring all those who lost their lives. There are several current memorials, that are all incredibly moving - but this one will be the official.

The new tower, the Freedom Tower, is right around halfway built in height-none of the exterior is done. It's already a massive structure and it's fairly mind boggling to think it will be DOUBLE the height it currently is. Joe gave me a statistic that they finish 1 floor per week on the building.

I attempted to get some pictures of the Freedom Tower, but it's very difficult to capture something so massive with an iPhone!

[​IMG]
    It's the building in the back, the one completely under construction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I was almost laying on the ground for this one - and I still couldn't capture it all.

When we went inside the World Financial Center we were there to see the lights they put up - but, we also found an excellent view of the construction through their massive windows. I'd say this is the best spot to see Ground Zero, I'll be taking future tourists here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All the diggers were pretty exciting for Henry!

It will be interesting to see the work continue in this area. I'm glad to see an actual structure here - it took so long for them to finalize a design, and then to re-build the transit hub underneath took years.

As far as the lights go, I didn't fully know what to expect. The way I read about these lights I was expecting more. It was a fun afternoon though, and what they did have of lights, was quite pretty.

However, the very BEST part of it all was finding...
    [​IMG]
    PALM TREES IN NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All three of us got excited to see those beauties!

I posted a picture on my Facebook and MeMom commented that it looked like MCO to her--and that is exactly what I had thought too! :thumbsup2

[​IMG]
    There is a stage in the back - they have various performances here during the weekday afternoons during the Christmas season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The windows at the top of the steps are the ones overlooking Ground Zero.

They also had a massive Christmas tree in another area of the mall; however, we had gotten Starbucks by that point, so I was sipping my Carmel Brulee Latte in peace while Henry and Joe checked it out...:teeth:

I have a couple more "housekeeping" type updates, but that might be it for tonight, I hope to pick up tomorrow! :goodvibes

17. Poolrat

Poolrat I am alive, sometimes I wonder too.

Thank you for the tour of those special spots in NYC. All new for me.

18. Charleston Princess

Charleston Princess DIS Veteran

Ah, I love seeing Pooh and the gang! You can tell they were very loved! Don't you just love Kanga's pearls? :lmao:

The train set-up at Grand Central is so neat! We could probably stand there for hours soaking in all the little details!

German gingerbread? Yum! Yum! Yum!

Very moving pictures of the construction being done on the Freedom Tower. It's almost unbelievable to me that we are just months away from the ten-year anniversary. It doesn't seem that long ago.

19. dawnbu40

dawnbu40 DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed your update! :goodvibes How fun to see the original Winnie the Pooh and friends! What a nice surprise! :goodvibes

I love the picture of Henry in the cap and sweater. What a cutie! :)

Thanks for sharing NY with the rest of us! Merry Christmas!! :santa:

20. lovealldisney

lovealldisney Lover of all things Disney!

Thanks Brooke for the NY pictures! I sooooo want to come to NY during Christmas! I think after this TR you should start a thread with just NY pictures! That would be fun!!

I bet Henry really loved the trains! My DS so loved trains at that age. We bought him a small wooden train set by Brio (it was pretty pricey) but then I found in a mail order magazine for childrens toys a train set like Brio that was interchangable with it for far less than what we paid. Well needless to say he has a huge rubbermaid tote full of train track pieces! He and my DD would play for hours with it there would be train tracks everywhere! He still has it and it will be something his children will get (well if he ever has children).

I got a special package from Germany too!! I got the same gingerbread cookies! So far I haven't opened them I plan on taking them over to my in-laws on Christmas day and sharing. And the chocolate covered hazelnuts are yummy!!! Those got opened right away my DH LOVES hazelnuts. So nice of Magdalene and Katharina wasn't it? Such sweet ladies :)

21. hcmommy

hcmommy Mouseketeer

What fun surprises you all got in the mail!

Love the NY update and Henry looks very stylish rockin' his hat and sweater. I used to dress H like that all the time when he was a little baby, he wore a corduroy hat like that in his very first picture with Santa. I've gotten lazy lately, T's and jeans!

Aren't those Creme Brulee Lattes good?! I'm drinking a Folgers cofee with Creme Brulee creamer right now and while good, it just isn't the same :rolleyes:

If you don't make it back in have a very Merry Christmas :santa: