Barnstormer, 7DMT, and Kali for a 3 year old?

Happyinwonerland

DIS Veteran
We are taking DD for her 3rd birthday. This will be our 3rd trip as a family. She will likely be tall enough for Kali, 7DMT, and barnstormer.

Would you let a 3 year old on these rides? I'm so torn. I think she would enjoy them, as she is a thrill seeker, but is it safe for her little body, her spine and heck, to be jostled like that?

My 3 y/o was only tall enough for Barnstormer, but she loved it. I know when we go back she'll want to ride everythign she's tall enough for. I don't feel like those rides are very intense -- I actually think Barnstormer is a little more intense than 7DMT.

She will be safe and fine. Have done kali and barnstormer but not mine train yet but it is stated as very smooth. Have fun and let her enjoy!
Oh, Kali is likely to get her very wet. Be sure she is ok with that and have plans in place to dry her off. My DN got really bad blisters on his heels walking around in his wet tennis shoes. We have not done Kali in a while as we always go winter, but when we do, its the last ride of the day and we head right back to the room for dry clothes. There is a bathroom right next to it for drying/changing too.

I think it's so individual, if you think she will enjoy it, go for it! I would go with "safe" on the physical level. Though on Barnstormer my newly-4 wanted my arm around her because she didn't feel so secure. She did not particularly enjoy it. KRR (which she still calls Kali River Rabbits LOL) was enjoyable for her during the ride, but the overall (relative) intensity was such that she didn't want to ride again. We did rain ponchos on that one and didn't end up too wet.

Last edited:

just prepare child that on Kali there is an extra bar that comes down in front of small child that does not for larger kids or adults. that is why small kids load first so they get the right seat. yes one of you will be seated beside the child but not both

My three year old loved the roller coasters. His favorite was big thunder. He didn't like Kali Rapids because he got wet. Wet was the issue, not the ride. Both Barnstormer and 7dmt are very tame first intros into coasters.

She did not particularly enjoy it. KRR (which she still calls Kali River Rabbits LOL) was enjoyable for her during the ride, but the overall (relative) intensity was such that she didn't want to ride again. We did rain ponchos on that one and didn't end up too wet.?/

My 3 y/o was only tall enough for Barnstormer, but she loved it. I know when we go back she'll want to ride everythign she's tall enough for. I don't feel like those rides are very intense -- I actually think Barnstormer is a little more intense than 7DMT.

When last went when my now 4 year old was almost three. She was only tall enough for Barnstormer and LOVED it. We must have ridden that 10 times over the course of the week.

We are going again in April, I plan to let me now 4 year old ride all of these.

We did Kali and Barnstormer with my 3 year old and 7DMT when he was 4 (it wasn't open when he was 3). We also did Splash and Big Thunder when he was 3, and he has loved every single one of them. The only one I forbid at this young age is Tower of Terror. I think he would like be bawling in tears by the time we got off, both because it's a little spooky in the beginning and because of the repeated drops.

Definitely if she's tall enough let her try them. I personally think Barnstormer is way more intense than Kali. At 2.5, DS was too short for Kali but could do Barnstormer. It was his favorite ride. He made us ride that thing so often, we finally had to tell him no more since we were getting dizzy.

My five year old (had just turned three at the time) still talks about Kali River Rapids being her favorite ride. She can't wait to ride it again on our vacation this May. She loved that they called her seat a "princess seat" and loved getting splashed by the water. She did not enjoy Barnstormer as much. I think she didn't feel as safe with the roller coaster. We will be riding Seven Dwarf's Mine Train this trip and I hope she feels more comfortable then she did with the Barnstormer. I was able to ride it last June and thought it was a very smooth ride. Much more enjoyable then the Barnstormer.

My son at not quite 3yo loved Barnstormer and SDMT. We are going back in a week and all he keeps talking about is SDMT and the cars (he also loved the Speedway). We skipped AK last trip but will be trying Kali on this trip.

My son is 2.5 and loved Barnstormer. We debated about taking him on 7DMT only because he has a fear of the dark and loud noises. The inside of the ride is pretty loud, and he is also afraid of the witch who appears at the end, so we decided against it.

My 5 year old, then 3 adored Barnstormer. We rode it at least 5 times when were there. Kali was down for returb so I can't really say. She went on 7DMT this past January. She hated it. She bumped her head on the side at the beginning of the ride and didn't enjoy it at all.

Following because my 3.5yo is now tall enough for 7DMT. Any tips, thoughts, did your LOs like it?

My almost 3 year old did OK with Kali last year until the 2nd time, going up the first big hill freaked her out. We talk about it (and talked about it before we went) but she wasn't thrilled with it. We also did Barnstormer and it was pretty jostling, she didn't really like it either. DH and I both really love roller coasters, but she is a little tentative. We'll probably try 7DMT at least once, but if she chickens out, oh well. But if anyone has any tips on getting their kid psyched to do it, it would be really helpful. (FYI, we talked up Barnstormer a lot last year, she was very excited for it, but then when we were on the actual ride she didn't like it so much. I felt really bad.)

DD was 3 years and 11 months when we went and is a very timid little girl. She ADORED Mine Train, enjoyed Kali and Barnstormer. Barnstormer is the one that jerks around the most I think. For Kali we had her wear her actual raincoat and put a poncho on her legs. We also put her next to daddy since she's a daddy's girl.

Peer pressure is a good motivator Kboo. does she have any friends that love those rides or a cousin? Saying something like it's your cousin's favorite ride and so much fun. We also found that showing them videos on utube so they knew that there was a big drop, or water or it was dark really made a difference.

Following because my 3.5yo is now tall enough for 7DMT. Any tips, thoughts, did your LOs like it?

My almost 3 year old did OK with Kali last year until the 2nd time, going up the first big hill freaked her out. We talk about it (and talked about it before we went) but she wasn't thrilled with it. We also did Barnstormer and it was pretty jostling, she didn't really like it either. DH and I both really love roller coasters, but she is a little tentative. We'll probably try 7DMT at least once, but if she chickens out, oh well. But if anyone has any tips on getting their kid psyched to do it, it would be really helpful. (FYI, we talked up Barnstormer a lot last year, she was very excited for it, but then when we were on the actual ride she didn't like it so much. I felt really bad.)

The trip I'm taking in May is the first one where my son is 40" so I showed him ride through videos of Splash Mountain and 7DMT and he is all excited about riding them and can't stop talking about them. So that might be an option so she knows what to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter