Bad Massage Experiences???

When we did the couples massage my DH didn't like it but I thought it was ok. Our next cruise I'll just stick to the facial as I don't want to have a sore back!

Erin :)

My husband and I had a couples massage onboard, and it was horrible. Not only was it really rough, she also make mean comments about my body. I would NEVER go back there again for anything.

I don't recall ever hearing that someone had a bad massage at the spa onboard. In the past, I have booked massage appts, only to cancel because something came up-like a sunburn-eek!

Its good to hear this, but I kind of wish everyine had complained onboard. Maybe someone would have listened and changed things!

My husband and I had a well-being massage as part of our REAS package last year and we both enjoyed it tremendously. But I was also very upfront about wanting a relaxing experience - I did not want nor did I need to be pounded like a potato. They were very accomodating and did a nice job.

Our tablemates last year did the cabana massages on CC and loved it. We're scheduled for one next month and I'm hopeful that it will be a good experience.

Just wanted to throw in a positive experience. :goodvibes

Hmmmmmmm.......

I'm going to have to talk this over with my DH. We're scheduled for a couples massage and now I'm thinking maybe we should save the money.

I did not have a masssage, but my DH suprised me with a facial.
It msut be, because I could not relax and found the experience to be UGH!!
She didnt do anything wrong, it was just stupid to me.
And I almost had heart failure when presented with the bill.
$110!!!!
I told my DH not to bother next time. I will save my money for Palo and the drink of the day.

auntie k said:
I have a cabana massage scheduled on our upcoming trip - if I'm unhappy and it isn't relaxing - what do you think my chances are of getting a refund?

Not good. The spa is run by an independent company and is really accountable to no one. The Disney cast members will not help you with issues and since the spa company essentially has a captive audience of largely uneducated consumers, they don't have a whole lot of motivation to make it right.

Given that, and the fact that the spa services are egregiously overpriced versus what you can get on land, unless your heart is absolutely set on having spa services on the ship and you're OK with blowing $120 on something you can get in a nice spa for $50 at home, skip it!

We had a somewhat bad experience last week with a couples massage in the spa on the Magic. We got the spa taster, and the massage itself was not bad. (not the greatest I've had, but still not bad) But the therapists didn't seem concerned at all about what we wanted or needed. Didn't ask any questions before starting or during the massage.

But overall we were kinda getting into it, and starting to relax, and over the intercom (REALLY loudly!! :earseek: ) came an alarm and an announcement that there was a crew fire drill. That was a REAL buzz kill!!! We both tensed up, and the rest of the massage was just kind of ruined.

We made a comment to the spa staff, as well as on our comment card at the end of the cruise. I know that they are required to do safety drills, and I'm glad they do. But they could maybe not pipe the alarm and announcement through the therapy rooms. JMO :rolleyes:

I probably won't get any more massages onboard. Like someone else said, I'll juat save my money and get massages here at home.

-Christal :wave:

I thought it was just me! Folks are always raving about that spa, so on our first cruise, when I had a horrible massage, I chalked it up to a bad massage gal. I actually felt like the gal was kneading my body like bread and not very good and her long (too long) nails were digging into my skin! I decided to have another on our 2nd cruise. it must just be me I thought, the second time was worse than the first! I will gladly save my money and have my massages back at home.

Ok, there are only a couple of "ok" comments, no one really raving how marvelous their's was and a lot of negative encounters...It really surprises me that Disney would allow below par service from a partner.

I love my massages at home ( 1hr- $50)so think I will cancel on the cruise and enjoy more time at Serenity Bay.

I have arthritis and it's not worth a bad experience - even if it were FREE!

DW has a bad back. I would often treat her to a massage on whatever cruise we were on or spa we went to.

Then one year I got the "Massage For Dummies" book.

One of the best monetary investments ever.

The book teaches the basics of body massage, foot massage, chair massage, etc.

DW says the massages I can now give (far more than just rubbing and kneading) are as good or better than most paid for massages.

She says the foot massages are especially good, after a long day in heels (She wears the heels, not me. Usually).

ALSO, the massages are most relaxing. And you know what is GREAT when you are really Relaxed?

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Jim

They try to sell - - - Snake oil.

Various oils and scrubs. While doing the massage, they do an "evaluation" which is probably what one person referred to as criticizing your body, which it was, then tell you the protucts they have that will take care of those problems.

I've had massages on both cruises and both were great. For my first I was pregnant and filled out an extensive questionnaire, followed by a lengthy conversation with the therapist (she initiated) that addressed the various oils she could NOT use due to my pregnancy. The second was a couples cabana massage and that was the same kind of experience....but not pregnant! That said, yes, they are more pricey than what I pay at home, but around here I sure can't get a 1 hour massage for $50 at any reputable place! The norm here is more like $85-90, so while it's a slight % increase to $110, it's not double what some of you are quoting. If I was in that situation it would be much harder to choke down the higher price, but for me, part of the "cruise experience" is some quality time alone at the spa!

It's interesting that there appear to be massage therapists on the ships who do actually know what they're doing, and take the time to properly discuss and consider important health issues. However, given the amount of bad experiences listed here, does anyone really want to risk getting a poorly-trained hack that might screw up their back? (Even if the prices weren't lousy?) I know I don't.

Well, from what I was told by a crew member, some therapists are licensed and trained massage therapists. Some are TRAINED by those massage therapists, but did not go to school for it. Kinda wierd, huh?

Earlier this month I did one of the specials, which included the cellulite leg massage and a back massage. Pavi did a great job! We had a brief conversation of the areas that I wanted her to target and she made sure to ask if the pressure was too light or too hard. No high pressure sales speech either. One of the things that impressed me was her willingness to discuss her training and experience.

The price was not much more expensive that I would have paid in a nice spa at home.

Ginny

We had the couples massage last year (part of the REAS) and loved every minute of it. So they're not all bad. :)

I signed DW up for a hot stone massage (along with the manicure/pedicure...trying to spoil her I know). Anyone have experience with this? Would I be better off having her go locally for the massage and still to the mani/pedi?

Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter