Back to the Med Greece/Turkey in 2013! Complete!

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports' started by MinnieDiva, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mindelmouse

mindelmouse Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

The name of the restaurant was Xaxos and the food was really good. We opted to get the gyros in the pita as opposed to the flatbread, so lunch was good and pretty cheap as well

When we got back, kids went off and running. Jim and I went to Cove to relax and for a drink. Then down to shower before Greece party. It as fun as this was the party that we had watched them rehearse a few nights before.

[​IMG]

OK - here's where I need to disagree - the menu was disappointing to say the least. The spanakopita tasted funny, the mousakka was like a deconstructed mixed vegetables with a scoop of tomato sauce. It was one of the worst meals I had on board. I didn't even stay to have dessert, which for me is saying a lot. :rotfl:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. pxlbarrel

pxlbarrel <font color=teal>They won't allow any kind of cow

I had the spanakopita too and although it tasted a bit different than what I'm used to, I attributed it to perhaps a different kind of cheese than I'm used to.

I had the chicken kabob (pseudo souvlaki) and they were fine as was the baklava. I stayed with the simple stuff. LOL None of the other stuff really appealed to me. I think we also had the salad ...

4. MinnieDiva

MinnieDiva Obsessive Trip Planner

It's not like I said it was good. Just blah.

Nutmeg. I think the spanakopita had nutmeg in the spinach. Whatever it was that I'd ordered was supposed to have a side of spinach, and after trying the appetizer portion of whatever it was, I wisely asked if the spinach would be the same kind/batch. It was...so none for me.

5. MinnieDiva

I promise to get to Kusadasi soon...but to do justice to it requires quite a bit of dialogue.....

My weekend flew by on wings of errands, laundry :laundy:, housework, and food prep for lunches this week. Add to that a bit of peer pressure to take the kids to the beach...:beach:

I wanted to add in that I believe it was the Athens day in which a shadowbox of an Acropolis with Goofy in front was left in our rooms for us. Too bad the glass broke on the flight home :mad:. I need to find somewhere to get it fixed as the size is irregular. :surfweb:

6. pxlbarrel

Your glass broke too???? My dad fixed mine for me. He found a framing place and got the glass replaced for $5. Unfortunately, the top part which looks like corrugated plexiglass is cracked. Nobody will see that but I was positively heartbroken when I excitedly took it out of the box to show my parents what Disney had given us...only to see it damaged. :sad:

7. MinnieDiva

DH took it today to get it fixed...$16. But...good as new! My corrugated part survived intact..

8. MinnieDiva

Kusadasi narrative and pictures are up.

9. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

Kim and Mindy,
    You gals have done a great job in recapping and offering tips and advice from your experiences! Loving your reports and pictures.

We ate here on our post-cruise stay in BCN.

10. pxlbarrel

hahahaha... I love him. So quick. :thumbsup2

11. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

The tendering in Villefranche was much improved on the Venice cruise but still takes a long time. I wondered if it was long because it was a Sunday. On the Venice cruise, there was another ship also tendered - we were there on a Friday. But it was ridiculous that first day! Because the tendering took so long, most of the tours left late and then returned late. There was a DCL CM on the pier telling people what their dinner options were for those that had main seating, that's how late they were running.

La Spezia was a dream for tendering compared to Villefranche. The only issue with the larger tenders is how long it takes you to get back on the ship once the tender gets to the ship. The Magic ported in La Spezia the next week and I meant to check yesterday to see if she ported or tendered this week.

I love that your stateroom host gave your DD her own private towel folding class - it's magical moments like this that keep us sailing with DCL!

12. mindelmouse

mindelmouse Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Thanks Cindy. It's kind of fun to recap it.

13. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

That's one of the great things about booking private tours - that you can adjust on the fly if you want or need to. We had a similarly great experience with our Rome in Limo driver (not guide) for our day in Rome - local and knew all the non-touristy places to take us once we had seen what we wanted to see on our list (which was short). He booked us a table at a non-tourist restaurant for lunch near the UN building where "the working people" go for lunch - it was fabulous and we hadn't even talked about doing something for lunch - I had thought we'd just grab a snack and go. Then when we got back to the port area that day, he took us to his DD's favorite gelato shop. And yeah, sometimes those pesky kids get in the way of our adult
    spontaneity :) But how cool it is to be able to say you've climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

14. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

The first thing our driver told us this day was that we were not going to Rome but to Roma!

15. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

I saw your group heading down while we were heading up and wondered why y'all were going against the traffic - makes sense. And I agree - some places really do need the narrative and having a well-versed guide is even better than having a pre-recorded audio-tour.

On our way down, we saw an ABD kid who got separated from his group in the masses.

Your photos are GREAT!

16. pxlbarrel

We saw the same kid. James, the ABD guide, came flying down to get him.

17. MinnieDiva

Yikes!!!

18. MinnieDiva

Mykonos narrative up!!!

19. nzdisneymom

nzdisneymom DIS Veteran

We had a few tours that came with just one bud. I think in the future, we'll be bringing our own earbuds to use with their devices as half the time they didn't work well, and the size of the earpiece irritates my ear. For our tour in Florence, DS's earbud fell apart and the guide didn't have any spares, but one of the other guests was using her own so she gave him the tour-issued one. I kept one set of earbuds for my smash book.

We saw the pelican, too! I thought about walking around with him and holding a cup out to charge tourists a euro to take their picture with him (LOL). After all, I'd paid a euro to take my picture with a camel in Turkey the day before (hee hee).

[​IMG]

We ran into so many people in port that day - it was fun to see everyone after having had such busy port days in Athens and Turkey. I told DH that Mykonos was my favorite day at that point in the cruise. We wandered those streets, too, and around 11:30 one of the shop keepers stopped us and asked if we were with the Disney cruise - and where were all the people? We told them that we knew a lot of folks were going over to Delos in the morning and that those who weren't would be over soon - since it was DCL's first stop there and on a Sunday, I think they were concerned about whether it was worth having their shops open. By the time we came back around from the windmills, the area was packed with people. Mykonos is one of the ports I would go back to for a land-based stay.

Looking forward to seeing your photos of this beautiful island.

20. MinnieDiva

Mykonos pictures up and narrative edited a bit!! :thumbsup2

21. LadyOfNawlins

LadyOfNawlins Mouseketeer

I have been following along from the beginning on this trip report but haven't commented. I just wanted to say that my husband and I went to Greece for our honeymoon 15 years ago. We spent a week on Crete, 5 days on Santorini, and 3 days on Mykonos. We LOVED the Greek Islands. I would highly recommend going back for a land based stay. We stayed near the main town on Mykonos and rented scooters for our stay. We drove around the island and found a completed deserted beach one afternoon. Greece is a truly magical place!