Back from our first camping trip - the good, bad & ugly

You don't like lacy camo tank tops? You sure you're from Louisiana?

I tried one once. Everyone screamed and ran out of the campground. Must have been a bear or something scary standing behind me, cause they kept looking back at me with wide open eyes and gaping mouths! :scared1:

Welcome back, glad you had a good trip. Sounds like your boys have a great mom.

Welcome back, Soni! It does sound good like a good trip! I love Assateague Island! A horse stepped on my sandled foot on that beach once! Ouch! We camped on Chincoteague Island, though. It was a nice spot on the beach....but not much shade.

It sounds like you've got the kinks worked out so next time will go a little smoother! It's very normal for campers to offer help! Accept it graciously! Maybe have an extra beer on hand to offer in exchange :laughing:

Oh, and the shower, thing..... Do whatever works for you! Your kids are young and you gotta do what you gotta do! I'm sorry you were on the receiving end of dirty looks, but I would have taken the kids in there anyway. JMO

That TV comment! How funny!!!!:lmao:

Welcome home!

What she said about the shower thing. My DS is 7, and if we are at the mall, he comes with me and DD to use the restroom. I've never had a problem.

A good time had by all. I've been tent camping for years, and have stocked 2 flat utility boxes for the camping gear, and I still manage to forget something most times. The last trip I got the rain fly tied and fastened in every place except one, right on the upper corner. We woke up the next morning to some pretty stiff winds and the corner that didn't get tied properly caved in on us. Took about a quarter of the tent down with it.

I've made it out a couple of times and discovered that I took the hammer out of the box for something at home, and forgot to put it back in. As you discovered, that's when you find out who the friendly neighbors are.

I have two girls, and have had to take them in the men's showers a few times (knew I wouldn't get away with me in the womens'). Don't worry about the dirty looks. They'll get over it, and if they don't who cares??

I think I would kill my husband if he brought my daughter into the men's showers.

I think I would kill my husband if he brought my daughter into the men's showers.

Not recently, just in times past. Now that they are older I am OK with them in the womens showers alone.

We didn't actually camp at Assateague - I was warned here that that was too primitive. We camped at Frontier Town which is right between Ocean City and Assateague. We used the beach at Assateague because I hate the parking in Ocean City. The campground at Frontier Town is great. Lots of shade - Assateague has NONE as it's all beach. I was worried about the heat but we spent all day at the beach or water park so the heat didn't bother us and at night it cooled down that it was very comfortable.

So the campground... two thumbs up? I was considering Frontier Town for a long weekend (maybe girls only) next year. I hate the beach :lmao: but I love Assateague and the boardwalk at Ocean City. We usually go down in September for Sunfest, so it's never obnoxiously crowded when I'm there, but I can imagine it gets crazy in the summer.

Glad you had a good trip - got any pictures to post?

We live about 45 minutes from the Cabela's in Michigan. We go down once a year or so. It's a good place to exercise the motorhome in the winter since they have an RV parking lot. My dh and oldest dd love the wild game cafe.

Shannone, now that you live in a log house, you will love going to the home furnishing dept, lots of cool stuff for us cabin people LOL

Shannone, now that you live in a log house, you will love going to the home furnishing dept, lots of cool stuff for us cabin people LOL

Want to know something strange...we don't have our log home decorated with an "up north" theme at all. I didn't want it to be overwhelming so I went with more casual/traditional decor. However...our MOTORHOME has an "up north" theme. I have old tin campground signs and bear/moose decor. Towels, candles, bedding,picture frames, etc. Some of the best pieces came from Cabela's :thumbsup2

Want to know something strange...we don't have our log home decorated with an "up north" theme at all. I didn't want it to be overwhelming so I went with more casual/traditional decor. However...our MOTORHOME has an "up north" theme. I have old tin campground signs and bear/moose decor. Towels, candles, bedding,picture frames, etc. Some of the best pieces came from Cabela's :thumbsup2

Now you know we need to see some pictures!;)

So the campground... two thumbs up? I was considering Frontier Town for a long weekend (maybe girls only) next year. I hate the beach :lmao: but I love Assateague and the boardwalk at Ocean City. We usually go down in September for Sunfest, so it's never obnoxiously crowded when I'm there, but I can imagine it gets crazy in the summer.

Glad you had a good trip - got any pictures to post?

It's the first campground we camped at and I like it. There may be better ones but we thought it was really nice. I really liked that they had a pool plus they have a water park outside the campground which is included in the fee. They also have mini-golf which only cost $2/pp to play and a Wild West show which isn't expensive either along with an arcade, a restaurant and an ice cream shop. We didn't even go over to OC this trip because in the summer it is very crowded plus it's crazy expensive - especially with 2 young kids once they see all the rides, games, food, etc right when you walk onto the boardwalk. I wanted it to be low-key so we just hung around the campground and only left to go to the beach in Assateague.

Football has taken over our lives (thankfully this is the last week that practice is every night) so I will definately post pictures. Hopefully I will get home at a decent hour tonight and can do it then.

Sounds like you had a great time!!!

The bathroom situation is something I think campgrounds could do better, just for the single mom with boys and single dad with girls situation.

I've been to a couple of campgrounds where there wasn't a ladies and men's side but a building with several private unisex full baths in them. (Shower, sink, toilet). That should be the standard. It sure would solve a lot of problems.

I've been to a couple of campgrounds where there wasn't a ladies and men's side but a building with several private unisex full baths in them. (Shower, sink, toilet). That should be the standard. It sure would solve a lot of problems.

I really like that set up too. My daughters have each other to go up to the shower house with, but our 7 yr old son has to have my dh take him up to shower. When the showers are all in a central location all three kids can go together and wait for each other :thumbsup2

We have a shower in the motorhome, but it take about 20 minutes for the water to get hot again between showers and with 5 of us showering it can make for a long evening. It's so much faster to send the kids to the shower house !!

I really like that set up too. My daughters have each other to go up to the shower house with, but our 7 yr old son has to have my dh take him up to shower. When the showers are all in a central location all three kids can go together and wait for each other :thumbsup2

We have a shower in the motorhome, but it take about 20 minutes for the water to get hot again between showers and with 5 of us showering it can make for a long evening. It's so much faster to send the kids to the shower house !!

I celebrated when the girls got old enough that the oldest was able to watch out for the younger one, and they would be able to deal with situations that would come up. Now we also have some small walkie-talkies. I can stay outside the showers and be able to stay connected. When DW is alone we still have the same problem, as he isn't quite old enough to do it on his own, but getting too old for the womens' side.

I was thinking last week that a "Family Bathhouse" would be great at these places. Just like they have family bathrooms, they could have a bathhouse/comfort station that people know the whole family - boys and girls, men and women - will be in there and each shower area could be private and the shower areas a little larger. Then there would still be those that are just for men or just for women that people that aren't faced with those situations can use. Of course here I am a first time camper trying to change things and come up with suggestions on how it could be better. :lmao: The kind of person that guest relations just loves hear from. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter