Back from BCV and ready to buy! Have questions.

mgilmer

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
We just returned from a wonderful week at BCV (No. 209, dedicated one bedroom non handicapped with view of courtyard/Beachclub entry and located just across the alcove from the elevator). The villa was perfect and fully equiped with no issues at all. We loved it and my DW has finally agreed to us buying a DVC membership. I am leaning towards buying resale smaller contracts (40-60 points at a time for $73-77 per point) rather than buying from Disney and financing at their $95 rate per point. I figure we will need 150-200 points to go for two weeks or so every two years. Also, while I like the location of SSR, I like BCV better. Two questions: 1) has anyone else tried to accumulate their points in smaller purchases, and if so, have you had any problems finding smaller point allocations to buy? and 2) My DW asked what will happen to the resorts after 2042. Does anyone know?

Mike

Remember that for each smaller resale contract you buy, you will have to pay the same closing costs as you would if you bought a large contract. If you accumulate several small contracts, you will end up wasting a lot of money on closing costs. My advice would be to figur out how many points you need/want and then buy the largest contract up to that number of points that you can afford. Plus, you don't want to be stuck with different very small contracts with different use years - that will just end up being a big hassle for you, I think. Another consideration is that the very small contracts can be really hard to find - especially at BC. They get snapped up right away when they do come around, so you might have to wait a long time to accumulate the points you want.

My understanding is that in 2042, the resorts will revert back to Disney ownership (so they would become like the non-DVC resorts are now). But you never know if something will be worked out between now and then allowing members to extend their contracts (for a $$ of course). I don't worry about 2042 because its so far in the future - there is 38 years to enjoy DVC between now and then.

Are you factoring closing costs into your logic? These will add up with multiple contracts. Also, you may end up with all different use years which could make point management more complicated.

Having multiple contracts is not a bad idea, as you can sell them off separately if you so desire; you can't split up a single contract.

The dilemma with buying 4-5 contracts at the size you indicate is that you will pay closing costs for each purchase, which are relatively fixed at around $400 - $450 each, unless you can negotiate them down with the seller. That will increase your net per point cost significantly.

Smaller contracts used to be hard to find but recently more have been showing up on the resale market.

Currently, after 2042, you will have nothing, as this is a deeded lease which expires then. There has been a great deal of speculation about extensions, etc. but it is just that.

Unless you are very selective (and lucky), smaller contracts will probably leave you with different Use Years. This could turn into a real headache, particularly if you aren't planning to visit every year and thus would frequently be banking points.

Right now, DVC is offering a flat $10 off per point (bringing cost down to $85 pp). Since the units being sold are not yet complete, if you finance through DVC there are no payments, no interest and no member dues until April or May of next year.

If you don't need DVC's financing, you can always arrange your own.

On a small contract, closing costs can add $10 to $15 per point. Most small BCV contracts are selling for $72-$75 ppt. Sometimes $80.

I checked on that small contract listed on the TSS last week and decided to pass when closing made the cost $95 ppt.

If this is acceptable, then go for it.

BCV is a great resort!

People looking for small contract often play a long waiting game. And you won't have a lot of choice or negotiating ability - there is more demand than availability for these contracts - so the chances that a seller would be willing to eat closing costs are pretty low.

Lately, there has been a waiting game just on 150-200 point BCV contracts.

Resellers can not "chop up" existing contracts. So if someone has 600 points listed for sale, the reseller needs to sell all 600 points.

In your situation, I'd look for a resale at BCV between 100 and 175 points, preferring at least 150.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!