BabyWearing on Rides

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by momto2nenas, Apr 18, 2010.

1. momto2nenas

momto2nenas DIS Veteran

Are you allowed to take an infant on rides while "wearing" them? I have 2 different types of baby carries, the traditional Snuggli where they face in or out and are strapped to your front. And the cloth type that you kinda wrap them to you.

I know on airplanes I always have to take the baby out for take-off/landing (which makes no sense since she is strapped to me I won't drop her or let her bounce out of my arms) and was wondering what the policy is for rides?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. lilsprstr

lilsprstr Mouseketeer

I don't know what the rules are at DLR, but I was babywearing at Legoland last year and they wouldn't allow me to babywear while on a ride.

4. khowell

khowell Earning My Ears

We were just there not even a month ago and I put my 1 year old in the kind where she faces out. I only did it for a few rides though, finding nemo and pirates I think, and nobody said anything. I remember some rides I tried to sit her down next to me in the chair but the cm's said she had to be on my lap.

5. 3Minnies1Mickey

3Minnies1Mickey <font color=magenta>Just wanted to add, this is no

You can wear them, but CMs may make them face forward/face out. I had one ask me to turn my youngest DD out, but she was asleep so they said she was fine facing in.

6. Gisele

Gisele luv honey,not the sting of bees Luv HM gumispiders

I strongly discourage baby wearing of any kind, because it can irritate if not down right annoy the baby when they are displayed like some kind of jewelry. ;) he he!

7. goodeats

goodeats DIS Veteran

I know on Midway Mania they said she had to be in a carrier that buckled (i.e. ergo, snuggli, bjorn) versus a soft sling.

8. momto2nenas

momto2nenas DIS Veteran

Thank you for the replies!

So sounds like yes, for the most part. And I should use the Bjorn/Snuggli with her facing out. :thumbsup2 That's the way DH would be wearing her anyway so that is good. YES my DH is a Baby Wearer! He loves it.

9. Monkey Monkey

Monkey Monkey DIS Veteran

That's ridiculous, and makes no sense!

FWIW, I wore DD on TSMM in a Mei Tai, facing in, and no one said anything. I've worn her like that on POTC, Small World, BLAB, Dumbo, Monsters, and Heimlich. I wore her in a hip sling on Winnie the Pooh and the CM said she needed to be facing forward.

It probably just depends on the CM, but I've never had any problems with a soft carrier.

And my husband is a baby wearer too! He got a Beco for Christmas and wears her quite often in public! :lovestruc

10. Monkey Monkey

:rolleyes2

What an ignorant and insulting comment.

I don't wear my baby to "display" her. I wear her because it's easier than carrying her in my arms, and provides me with more face-to-face time with her than if she was in the stroller, which she will only tolerate for so long anyway. She is not irritated or annoyed to be carried like that in any way.

But it's nice that you "strongly discourage" something you know nothing about.

11. CADisneyMom

CADisneyMom DIS Veteran

I totally agree with you. When my daughter was younger (she's 19 now) she didn't like any of those devices so I had to keep her in a stroller. I tried everyone of those, which personally I think is a great idea because you do have more contact with the child. The only one I didn't like personally was the one that you wrapped around you because I just felt that there wasn't enough support to hold them, but that's my personal opinion and I know it works for some people-it just didn't work for me.

I say use whatever works best for you and your child. I don't see what the problem would be with them being in that compared to being in your arms, I think they're safer in that.

12. limace

limace DIS Veteran

I think the PP was joking :).

I was in WDW in January with my 4 month old and wore him on a ton of rides in my Ergo, on the front. No one ever said anything and it worked really well.

It s gonna be more difficult this time-he hates the front carry any more, and obviously can't keep him on my back on rides lol-maybe we'll do more hip carries.

13. ColoradoK

ColoradoK Mouseketeer

LOL!!! :rotfl2:

I'm so glad someone asked this question. We leave in two weeks with big baby wearing plans and I was wondering about such things.

My hubby is a baby wearer too!

14. specialks

specialks Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

I think the PP (Gisele) was joking -- hence the smiley and he he notation. :)

My husband was also a baby wearer -- probably even more than myself (I tended to just use my arms; no clue why I didn't make it easier on myself). He LOVED our Baby Bjorn and was so sad when we recently sold it (our youngest is 3 now).

I think the strap on might be better for the baby also because there is so much to see on the rides and in the park and the sling ones (if worn across the body) can block their view. Just a thought...

Enjoy your trip!

15. Monkey Monkey

Yeah, I get that - except that instead of being funny, it was just rude. I'm all for a good joke when it's funny.

16. auntiegem

auntiegem Mouseketeer

I'm guessing this subject is very close to your heart (pun intended!), but I read Gisele's posting as completely tongue in cheek. If you go back and read some of her other posts, she seems to me to be a very friendly, non-confrontational poster who probably would feel awful to think that someone took her joke that way.

17. 3BoysRDisneyFreaks

3BoysRDisneyFreaks DIS Veteran

Gisele was totally joking. That is why the smile with the wink was put on there. I guess some are a little up tight today.

I have worn my youngest DS in a Baby Bjorn both inward and outward facing. He was 8 weeks on his first trip to WDW and we rode everything that wasn't a mountain.

On his second trip he was 9 months and was worn facing out.

One thing to note is if you wear your child on a ride where there is an automatic lap bar (Haunted Mansion) make sure you lift him up and put him over the bar or his legs will get smashed. I would never have noticed a problem, but the CM alerted me.

18. todzwife

todzwife <font color=darkorchid>There's nothing worse than

I wore DD in a ring sling when she was just over 1. I had brought woven wraps and an Ergo type carrier as well, but found that the RS was easiest because I could move her from my front to my hip to wherever she needed to be on the rides.

19. Gisele

Gisele luv honey,not the sting of bees Luv HM gumispiders

If I somehow offended you, it was most unintentional, I assure you. And I apologize.
    Granted some of my type of humor can be more humorous in comparison to some of my other posts, but if I really thought it would be taken the wrong way, then I would either have tried to rework my post, or not post anything at all.
    You are correct, I do not know anything about the baby slings, et al. For I have no children, no husband. So you see, you have all of the above making you in my opinion far more fortunate from myself. What helps to keep me sane, is my sense of humor. That and my car, my cats and chocolate. And other things as well. :)

:flower3:

20. glendalais

glendalais DIS Veteran

It shouldn't pose that much a hassle.

You still wouldn't be able to go on Attractions that would have been restricted were you just holding him/her (i.e. Wearing your child in a sling does not mean you can go on Space Mountain. And yes, I have actually been asked this question before).

In some cases, you may need to turn your child or take other precautions as directed for safety reasons (lap bars, etc.), but shouldn't be a problem otherwise.