Babycakes Closing

DCDisney

On my way...
I read on a few blogs this morning that Babycakes will be closing as of March 19, 2014. I just wanted to make sure people who planned on eating there would be aware. It did not sound like they would be re-opening as the building is being demolished for the new Disney SPrings project.

I really hope it is a misunderstanding or somehow not true! DS is going to be so upset. We really rely on them for snacks and treats, otherwise he has to be that kid who never gets anything fun.

It is true. Pollo Campero and Babycakes will be closing on March 19th. Babycakes items will still be able to be purchased at current resort locations. Pollo will not be joining Disney Springs. No word on if Babycakes will.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

mistysue you could always try that cupcake place terresa mentioned yesterday on the podcast. Though if you will have access to a car I might make the adventure to find it rather then pay that steep delivery fee.

Any idea what that place is?

I know it was Terresa's rapid fire and that the place has won cupcake wars a few times. Best I could say is watch it back. I know they mention the name but I don't remember it. Sorry. I suppose it might also be on the show notes page. It was yesterday's episode that's why it stuck in my head.

Oh no!!!!!! I am so disappointed. I was so looking forward to taking my DD5 there for the first time. She has an egg, and peanut allergy so I was so excited to take her to a bakery so she could have go in and have something, since she has never had that opportunity before. :confused3

: (

Are you thinking of "sweet by good golly miss Holly?" The point with babycakes is they make desserts for many people who otherwise can not eat dessert. My son can't have wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, some tree nuts, sesame or buckwheat. Without babycakes his trips to Disney are dessert free with the exception of plain vanilla rice dream... which honestly is sort of gross. It is entirely possible he will not have a single baked good our entire trip unless we prepare and bring them from home.

Are you thinking of "sweet by good golly miss Holly?" The point with babycakes is they make desserts for many people who otherwise can not eat dessert. My son can't have wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, some tree nuts, sesame or buckwheat. Without babycakes his trips to Disney are dessert free with the exception of plain vanilla rice dream... which honestly is sort of gross. It is entirely possible he will not have a single baked good our entire trip unless we prepare and bring them from home.

I think that's it. Terresa did say that they do make glutten free and vegan. ( I don't know if that helps)

I appreciate the thought, babycakes really does something very specialized though. Out of about 60 meals on property i can think of ONE time that DS got a baked treat from a Disney chef. If he gets a cookie, donut, muffin or cupcake on our trip it's always babycakes. Last year we stayed club level and in the mornings they either had something from babycakes or they had nothing to offer him that day. We can make cookies at home to take, but they aren't good more than a few days into our trip. He can't eat any goodies we've found in stores, so no running out for it either. :( It will just be sad if their products aren't around. The other treat they have all over is Enjoy life, and they switched their baking around so they use buckwheat in everything now- meaning he can't have any of it.
As silly as it sounds this may end up having a huge effect on our trip, that was what I was counting on for breakfast for him so that we could eat in the room some days. Last year I brought some donuts home and froze them so we could all go to the cider mill without him being singled out again.

At least it's good to have a heads up.

NO!!!! This makes me so sad:guilty: My DD13 has several food allergies and loved her treats from Babycakes on our last trip. SO much so that I was planning to go two or three times to keep goodies in the room and some to take on our trip to the darkside. Any chance they will open temporarily some where else during construction?

I appreciate the thought, babycakes really does something very specialized though. Out of about 60 meals on property i can think of ONE time that DS got a baked treat from a Disney chef. If he gets a cookie, donut, muffin or cupcake on our trip it's always babycakes. Last year we stayed club level and in the mornings they either had something from babycakes or they had nothing to offer him that day. We can make cookies at home to take, but they aren't good more than a few days into our trip. He can't eat any goodies we've found in stores, so no running out for it either. :( It will just be sad if their products aren't around. The other treat they have all over is Enjoy life, and they switched their baking around so they use buckwheat in everything now- meaning he can't have any of it.
As silly as it sounds this may end up having a huge effect on our trip, that was what I was counting on for breakfast for him so that we could eat in the room some days. Last year I brought some donuts home and froze them so we could all go to the cider mill without him being singled out again.

At least it's good to have a heads up.

Can your son eat Divvies? They are nut free, dairy free, egg free. I have their products delivered to the hotel. They have cookies, popcorn, cupcakes and candy. All are very good. You can even stipulate the date you want delivery. You can find them at www.divvies.com

This is so disappointing. Babycakes is the only place I can get doughnuts. I can't have dairy, gluten, soy, tapioca, mustard, alcohol, or artificial sweeteners so finding treats is difficult. Even with Babycakes, I can't have most of their products. Everything I've seen at the resorts is off-limits to me. I hope they get a new spot when the construction is done. I'm disliking Disney Springs more and more as each new bit of info comes out. :(

This is so disappointing. Babycakes is the only place I can get doughnuts.

This makes me so so sad...and yes especially about the doughnuts :sad2:
It was such a treat for my daughter with many food allergies to get her pick of doughnuts that tasted so good her brother and sister with no allergies wanted them too (as opposed to a dessert full of allergens which they usually want instead leaving allergen DD out). We have nothing available like this around us... oh telling her it's closed is going to be the pits. We are going to be there just weeks later. It seems like they just opened :sad1::sad1::sad1::sad1:

Oh NO!!! First Disney stopped the French Meadow Bakery cookies and brownies and now they're taking away my gluten free cupcake fix?! Wah!!!
I would have thought people like myself would be keeping them in business. That and the fact that they accept dining plan. And I loved Pollo (especially the salsa bar).
So sad. That was my main reason to hit DTD.
Glad I stocked up last trip and tried everything!
For those of us with allergies, what will our options be? Those OMG cookies often contain dairy. :(

Oh NO!!! First Disney stopped the French Meadow Bakery cookies and brownies and now they're taking away my gluten free cupcake fix?! Wah!!!
I would have thought people like myself would be keeping them in business. That and the fact that they accept dining plan. And I loved Pollo (especially the salsa bar).
So sad. That was my main reason to hit DTD.
Glad I stocked up last trip and tried everything!
For those of us with allergies, what will our options be? Those OMG cookies often contain dairy. :(

They contain eggs so that leaves my DD5 out! She doesn't really like the Enjoy Life products only the Coco loco bars. I miss when they had Divvies! I know that wasn't good for the gluten free people but I don't see why they can't have multiple choices.

I just gave Babycakes a call and spoke to a very nice young lady named Emily. I asked if the closing of the main store would mean that they would no longer have packaged items at the resorts. She said that they have not yet decided what their involvement would be, but that they are hoping to make an announcement via Twitter in the next few days to let their customers know. I will be keeping an eye on https://twitter.com/dtdbabycakesnyc :surfweb:

A friend of mine ordered cupcakes from Jillycakes. I'm not sure if this is who was being referenced in the podcast since I didn't listen but they did win when they were on Cupcake Wars. She said that not only were the cupcakes delicious (she said much better than Babycakes cupcakes) but they were are decorated really cute. They deliver. They're not a dedicated gluten free or dedicated nut free or dedicated vegan bakery so if that is important to you then they won't work for you. They can make most flavours gluten free and vegan and can customize for other allergies as well (you would need to discuss those with them).

I know y'all- I saw Rikki's post on the Touring Plans blog this morning and about spit out my breakfast. SO. SAD. They will be having some items available in select resort food courts, though. We tried the mini cupcakes at the Boardwalk Bakery a few times last trip and they were awesome- hopefully they up the selection of items available at the resorts. So sad to see them go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minnie1012, I think Divvies did have something gluten free. Weren't these Divvies? I had them in my mind as gluten free (and in my photos LOL, but I can't read the label anymore). That was from a 2007 trip.
disneyfood7.jpg

Yes, I know French Meadow has eggs, but we could eat eggs and they were so good. I agree with you about Enjoylife ... room for improvement. BUT Sunshine Seasons had the chocolate bars, and those are good (just straight up candy bars).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter