Baby Trip Report

FlaFortCampster

DIS Veteran
Just returned from a small trip to the Fort. Finally had beautiful weather with no rain!!!! The last 4 trips had included rain, so this was a nice change. As is normal for Sept., the Fort was very quiet. Many of the loops were closed and some had just a few campers.
Enjoyed a walk by the lake and nature trail.

DSC_0451.jpg

Always a welcomed sight.

DSC_0460.jpg

A great fishing spot.

The 300 loop was closed for upgrading. I walked thru from the back way (the nature trail road), so I was able to walk half the loop before getting chased out.
Here's a couple of shots of new plants going in and fill as this is one of the lowest loops at the Fort.

DSC_0465.jpg

New plants for 300 loop

DSC_0464.jpg

DSC_0463.jpg

An empty 300 loop.

DSC_0466.jpg

Workers putting in new foliage. They were 7 gallon and it looked like 15 gallon plants, so they'll fill in quickly.

Still muggy and warm, but the morning was so bright and beautiful, I skipped the bus and walked back to the Meadows area.

DSC_0469.jpg

Here's the big reason so much of the Fort has lost foliage and is being replanted, this is the dreaded potato vine.

DSC_0481.jpg

The Meadows area is also quiet and it's actually a nice change from the normal crowd.

DSC_0376.jpg

Ahhhh, very peaceful.

DSC_0374.jpg

Great fishing right under this bush. This is right across the street from the 1500 loop bus stop, looking towards the 1400 loop.

DSC_0475.jpg

Here's a pavilion for picnics, grills provided. This is located just east of the pool, right by the tennis courts.

DSC_0471.jpg

This is next to the Bike Barn looking at the Meadows Trading Post. Loop 600 is to the right. So many options for recreation here.

DSC_0472.jpg

Only the Lifeguards were at the pool.

Didn't do online checkin because we wanted to see what loop we would be given. Sometimes, you get a free upgrade when the Fort is this slow. Ended up in the 1500 loop aka Cottontail Curl. Haven't been in this loop in over 15 years, so it was like coming home. The great thing is the canals are right behind the sites, so got quite a bit of fishing in on this short trip. Several beam, sunfish and a couple of big, ugly catfish. It's the first time I've caught catfish at the Fort.
They were stocking the canals with fish on Wed. and Thurs., so the fishing should be better in, ah, 2 or 3 years. :rotfl:

DSC_0371.jpg

This site has survived all the foliage removal. Nice and secluded although it's right in the middle of the loop. Site 1515 Site 1518 looks very much like this.

DSC_0368.jpg

This site backs up to the canal and has a slight runoff problems.

Head over to MK the next day. The crowd isn't too bad. Enjoyed the train ride and chat with the conductor.

DSC_0415.jpg

Wish the Fort Wilderness Line still looked like this. This is the Main Street Station.

I learned this is a retired trestle bridge from Florida, but still works and is used to move the River boat to back canals during hurricanes. It swings out to open the waterway for passage. It's located just past the Frontierland Station. Look for it next time you take the train.
DSC_0409.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

Is it my imagination or is the castle leaning a bit?????:scared1:

That's all folks. Until the next trip, one more shot for the road.

DSC_0439.jpg

:thumbsup2

Great pictures! really interesting about the railroad bridge. So it is not longer used?

There is something so relaxing about looking at the pictures from the Fort. Thanks for sharing.

Great job, FFC! :thumbsup2

Your photographs are wonderful!

It is hard to believe that the Fort can be so empty! I don't think there is a single person in any of your shots, other than the lifeguards at the pool.

Thanks for taking the time to post this report.

TCD

These are great pictures.........I looked at the castle, I dont think it is leaning.....but, maybe it is.LOL

Thank you all. Glad you enjoy the pics. I sure do enjoy walking around the Fort and taking them. Even after 30 years, you never know what great shot you'll come across.

I wasn't kidding about Cinder's Castle. I swear the tower is leaning, kinda like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

DSC_0434-1.jpg

DSC_0432-1.jpg

My best guess is that the castle use to have a great view of the Fort. BUT, since the DVC built that monstrosity next to the CR, the castle is leaning a little so it can see the Fort. :confused3

Hi FlaFortCampster,
I wanted to thank you for the report and the pictures. They are amazing. I really need to get back to the Fort soon and those pictures confirmed it! Thanks again. :thumbsup2
________
Lightbulb vaporizer

Thank you for the pictures of the sites in the 1500's. Every time I look at these photos it makes me want to go right now. we can not wait to get there. Until then we will have to settle for these wonderful pictures.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the great report and the awesome pictures. The Fort looks so peaceful and relaxing. Can't wait to go back. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter