Babies Teething on Ride Safety Bars

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Waddler, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Waddler

Waddler Mouseketeer

Oh, sure. I understand that worse things can happen. However, if I can do something simple to lessen the chance of my 1-year-old catching a stomach bug or cold away from home, I'll do it.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. scoutie

scoutie DIS Veteran

I worry about all of the oversanitizing people are doing. I feel (as do many medical professionals) very strongly that it's producing superbugs and making us more prone to get even more viruses.

Try to let the baby from gnawing on the bar. Eat fresh, healthy, unprocessed foods, have him drink lots of water, know that he's going to get exposed to some germs, and have faith in his immune system.

4. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

I mean getting germs off of the bar is not the worst thing that can happen. If their mouth is on the bar and the ride suddenly stops or bumps, that can be scary or even hurt your child. Peter Pan comes to mind, there are a lot of jolts and bumps in that one. The best bet is to keep their mouth off of the bar, not sanitize the bar.

5. Mickfarland4

Mickfarland4 Mouseketeer

Someone on here(can't remember which board) posted about wipes that kill norovirus. That is the post title too so I would buy these and wipe it down anyway(I am a slight germaphobe!):rotfl2:

6. Mama Who

Mama Who DIS Veteran

That will be true of anything he touches. Unless your plan is to spend the entire trip preventing him from touching anything ever, there's a certain level of risk you just have to accept. The good news is that the safety bars are not going to increase that risk.

As for teething on it directly, that's dangerous for non-germ reasons and you should definitely tell him no.

7. Waddler

Waddler Mouseketeer

Eh, he doesn't really touch many of those "high germ traffic" surfaces when we're out. He's not walking yet, so he's in a baby carrier or stroller. I also use a high chair cover for meals and large waterproof pads for diaper changes. He avoids most of the worst surfaces, like the finger scanners and bathroom stall door latches.

LOL... Again, I agree with everyone on this! :rotfl2: It's icky and dangerous. That's why I started this thread.

8. frostedpink

frostedpink Mouseketeer

I didn't know that hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus. Yikes!!

9. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

Which is why they tell you to not rely on sanitizer, but on good old hand washing. Soap and water do work!

10. capeseal

capeseal DIS Veteran

This was never an issue for us and I am trying to think of why, especially since baby #2 was super oral. I think we just held them close and the lap bar was not in a place where baby could comfortably get at it without major contortion? I also know I wore both of mine on many rides but I think I have heard reports of being asked to take babies out of carriers more often recently? You could also hold baby in your lap sideways on some attractions, even with the safety bar. I'm pretty stomach-virus phobic but the lap bars have never been an issue for us so maybe you'll find that you won't have to worry either?

11. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

My 17 month old didn't mouth a single lap bar or anything like that during our time at Disneyland and SeaWorld at that age. And he was constantly teething.

I'm actually trying to think of rides where a bar will be right in front of a baby's face, and I'm having a hard time with it. I know that my arm would be right there anyway, to protect him from smacking his face into anything. DS lost his first tooth at 6 months by smacking into a table, and later had to have two other teeth pulled b/c they grew in yellow, turned brown, and started to disintegrate (either from DH's paternal family's genetics OR from the trauma of hitting that table before they had come from the gums), so I am HIGHLY protective of the kidlet's mouth. Even now at 8 it's the first thing I worry about. OK, second, after his noggin.

Everything I can think of comes down too low or would have my arm right there, helping to hold him in place, or if he woudl be on my lap he would be up too high. And if a parent isn't teensy and makes the lap bar out more it would be up higher, and still hard to get to.

And I agree that the interactive play areas are a germy swarm of nastiness. I'm not a germophobe (honestly I'm more frightened by the idea of putting hand sanitizer chemicals onto a baby's hands when they will then put those hands into their mouths, than I am of just about any germ other than maybe ebola) but that honey wall and the glimpse I saw of the Dumbo standby queue make me shudder to think of it.

12. Waddler

Waddler Mouseketeer

Ah, ok. If so, that'll be great.

Same here, I guess... at least on vacation. My little guy will still be breastfeeding, and in my experience so far, sick kiddo = nursing strike. Not fun for baby or mama.

Doesn't help when people are always posting, "So, my whole family is puking their guts out, but we're okay to go to the parks, right?". Not that I really blame them for going through with it, but it does skeeve me out to think that they'll be shedding the virus for the next week or so.

I won't let my worries ruin my trip or anything. :goodvibes

13. dumbo_buddy

dumbo_buddy DIS Veteran

seriously? just don't let him hold the bar.

exotic cold? i hope you don't think the jungle cruise actually goes through the amazon!

14. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

I agree just say no, give the baby a toy and put your hand there

15. kt_mom

kt_mom DIS Veteran

DS has always been the kid that puts everything in his mouth. Thankfully I’m not overly germ phobic but we do have to watch him closely because he will put anything in his mouth no matter where it came from. If you leave a plastic bag lying around he’ll tear off a little piece and keep it in his mouth. You’ll never know until he gets tired of it and comes and spits it out in your hand. It’s dangerous and we try to keep him away from them but he always manages to find something to have in his mouth. He’ll do paper or toilet paper if he can’t find anything else.

The idea of your child’s mouth on those bars is gross, but we didn’t have any problems on rides. The bars aren’t really in the right place for that and he was usually busy watching what was going on around him or sleeping.

I agree with a previous poster about the over sanitizing. We wash our hands and use common sense, but I don’t chase behind the kids with sanitizer. And I’ve never used one of those cart covers or anything like that. My kids are rarely sick. A friend of mine who is very germ phobic, and keeps the hand sanitizer companies in business, is a different story. Her DD started school and caught every bug that went around and still does no matter how much sanitizer she uses. Her two year old was at my house over the holidays and climbed up on the counter and got the sanitizer for his hands.

16. SweetMissy

SweetMissy DIS Veteran

It doesn't kill c-diff either. Soap and water when possible. :)

17. Waddler

Waddler Mouseketeer

... says the woman who haphazardly tromped through snake-infested brush to pee at the princess half marathon. ;) I guess some people are more risk-averse than others. :goodvibes

18. jenifferf00

jenifferf00 Mouseketeer

This made me think of the bus ride with my darling two year old while in the world. I turned to look at her after talking to my other DD and DH, and she was LICKING the metal hand rail, while I was holding her! I turned ten shades of green, and she did end up with a fever and puking for one day during our trip. Luckily it was short lived. We did keep a closer eye on her and her mouth after that. I guess I had thought that by two she would know a little better than to lick a random object. :faint:

I do work in a hospital though, and have worked in the ER. Germs, strong germs are everywhere. You need to be just as careful, if not more so, at home than at a place like Disney. Disney, and many people there, take precautions against out breaks (not that they don't happen). Grocery stores, local malls, etc. don't always take as much care because they're not as sensitive to an outbreak of an illness.

19. CaoilinnsMom

CaoilinnsMom Mouseketeer

GROSS!!!! I didn't think about the germs from around the world thing. I am a believer in hand washing with soap, not using hand santizers, but this makes me want to bring a container of bleach wipes and wipe everything down as I go through the lines.