BA or Virgin?

MissAnonD

Earning My Ears
I've run a quick search for this question, but I'd like some more recent experiences please!

My partner and I are travelling out to Orlando in October next year (just us 2 adults). Flight release dates are approaching so I need to decide which airline to go with! We'd like to pay no more than £600pp so I'm eager to book flights early to make sure we get the best price.

BA release their flights about 2.5 weeks before Virgin. Is it worth waiting until the Virgin flights are released to compare prices, or should I just book the BA flights straight away if the price is right?

BA use the Boeing 777, whereas Virgin use the 747-400. Is one better than the other?

I know we'd have to pay to select seats on BA, but would we have to pay to select seats on Virgin (we'd hope to book economy seats in the 'bubble' - but obviously wouldn't get that choice with BA!)

And lastly (sorry for all the questions!), is the check-in/bag drop at Disney Springs worth it, or should we just leave our luggage with bell services?

Thanks!

I haven't flown to Orlando with BA but flew to Baltimore earlier this year with BA It was OK but nothing to write home about. I have flown twice (three times on Saturday!!) with Virgin. I am much happier going with Virgin, I don't have any real reason as to why but to me at least Virgin seem more accommodating.

You can pay an extra seat booking fee which I think can range from £25 - £35 per person per flight (I think £35 for an exit row.. but could be wrong). You can do this when you book your tickets and so stand a better chance of getting a bubble seat. I very much recommend being in the bubble. due to less people it's quieter and with the flights I have been on at least the bubble offloads before the rest of economy so you can get thru immigration and bag claim quicker.

But if it all comes down to price you may want to think about getting a Thompson flight going to Sanford.. if you are getting a hire car then there isn't much difference in terms of time going from there and the dreamliner is a nicer flight.

The LGW to MCO planes with BA are a bit tatty now, the in-laws were a bit dissapointed when they used them to get to Orlando.

BA tend to have a January Sale that has good reductions.

We are in the same position for October next year, just going to keep an eye on it. I'd consider Thomas Cook too, good prices and recently refurbished planes.

Edit: Disney Springs Check In is a god send, especially for us where we always hire a convertible, stops needing to keep cases in the car on show on the last day, and means you can spend more time in the parks.

I haven't flown to Orlando with BA but flew to Baltimore earlier this year with BA It was OK but nothing to write home about. I have flown twice (three times on Saturday!!) with Virgin. I am much happier going with Virgin, I don't have any real reason as to why but to me at least Virgin seem more accommodating.

You can pay an extra seat booking fee which I think can range from £25 - £35 per person per flight (I think £35 for an exit row.. but could be wrong). You can do this when you book your tickets and so stand a better chance of getting a bubble seat. I very much recommend being in the bubble. due to less people it's quieter and with the flights I have been on at least the bubble offloads before the rest of economy so you can get thru immigration and bag claim quicker.

But if it all comes down to price you may want to think about getting a Thompson flight going to Sanford.. if you are getting a hire car then there isn't much difference in terms of time going from there and the dreamliner is a nicer flight.

Thanks for the reply! I should've mentioned - we travelled with BA last year, and flew to Sanford with Thomson this year. We don't drive abroad so would be relying on transfers or taxi if we fly into Sandford. I think we'd rather fly into MCO to get the ME, but Sanford could be an option if the flights are cheap enough. But we would need to look into flight times to/from Sandford. The reason we're considering BA & Virgin is the late evening return flight back to Gatwick - we'd like to make the most of our last day, so evening flight is best for us.

The LGW to MCO planes with BA are a bit tatty now, the in-laws were a bit dissapointed when they used them to get to Orlando.

BA tend to have a January Sale that has good reductions.

We are in the same position for October next year, just going to keep an eye on it. I'd consider Thomas Cook too, good prices and recently refurbished planes.

Edit: Disney Springs Check In is a god send, especially for us where we always hire a convertible, stops needing to keep cases in the car on show on the last day, and means you can spend more time in the parks.

Yeah I think we were on a 777 when we flew with BA last May. I know what you mean about them being tatty, but I don't think it would bother us too much as long as we get there!

I've heard that January sales are quite good, but I don't know if I could stomach holding out until January to book flights - I'd be kicking myself if we wait until January and the flights aren't as cheap as release day.

We've looked into Thomas Cook flights - at the moment they are overpriced and the flight times aren't as good for us because we would prefer an earlier outbound flight and later return flight. I'll keep an eye out though.

We'll definitely be considering DS check-in if we go with Virgin. We'll work out our itinerary to see if we can stop off at DS in the morning and then spend the rest of the morning/early afternoon at one of the parks. I don't think we would base our decision of BA vs Virgin on this though - it's just an added perk if the Virgin flights are cheaper!

Yeah I think we were on a 777 when we flew with BA last May. I know what you mean about them being tatty, but I don't think it would bother us too much as long as we get there!

I've heard that January sales are quite good, but I don't know if I could stomach holding out until January to book flights - I'd be kicking myself if we wait until January and the flights aren't as cheap as release day.

We've looked into Thomas Cook flights - at the moment they are overpriced and the flight times aren't as good for us because we would prefer an earlier outbound flight and later return flight. I'll keep an eye out though.

We'll definitely be considering DS check-in if we go with Virgin. We'll work out our itinerary to see if we can stop off at DS in the morning and then spend the rest of the morning/early afternoon at one of the parks. I don't think we would base our decision of BA vs Virgin on this though - it's just an added perk if the Virgin flights are cheaper!

For our June/July trip we've booked TC for the premium service, it came out at £800 pp which is far cheaper than VA and BA.

Just gotta keep an eye on it, seems to change all the time with all the airlines!!

I'd choose VA every day of the week.

BA was the biggest problem I have ever had with flights and the worst plane and crews we have had in years.

Choosing seats on VA is cheaper than BA too.

I'd choose VA every day of the week.

BA was the biggest problem I have ever had with flights and the worst plane and crews we have had in years.

Choosing seats on VA is cheaper than BA too.

Me too.

We have flown with TC on the odd occasion when I've run out of airmiles but VA has always been good for us.

Another vote for VA here. Unless there is a big difference in price I think the planes and the service is just better.

Here is another thought

Try Aer Lingus Via Dublin ( You do Immigration & Customs in Dublin) & you arrive as a domestic Pax.

so straight to baggage pick up & then to bus.

We're going Virgin this time around in Dec but in all my previous years experience Virgin have *always* been much closer to matching Disney when it comes to customer service (we've flown with them in 1998, 1999 and some of the 2000 trips) - their attendants are usually pretty cheery and the in-flight entertainment has generally been better when we've compared with friends and family who tagged along but took a BA flight.

But it really sort of comes down to the cost really, if BA releases with a good price then I'ld jump for it anyway and just hope for the best and/or accept the flight probably won't quite get me in Holiday mode. I took Norweigian to Fort Lauderdale last year to visit partner and heard all sorts of stories, but they were actually very good for what I was expecting.

Also the bag check in is pretty nice, allows you to drop in early and enjoy rest of your day before you do the dash to the airport.

Until our last flight, would have said VA if prices were the same. However the service on our last flight with them was pretty poor, though it was good to sit in the bubble - we had to pay to select seats. We are with BA for next year as got a great price.

We've bitten the bullet and booked Club World with BA for October next year. £3100 for 2 Adults. The flights have now gone up to ~£4800.

VA Upper Flights are coming in at ~£8000 around that time (although not available for our dates right now)

We've bitten the bullet and booked Club World with BA for October next year. £3100 for 2 Adults. The flights have now gone up to ~£4800.

VA Upper Flights are coming in at ~£8000 around that time (although not available for our dates right now)

That's a good price!

We've booked Easter flights with Virgin in upper but to Atlanta - £3700 for 3 so I was pleased. The Delta flights were $900 to MCO. We're doing the ex Dublin route in summer.

That's a good price!

We've booked Easter flights with Virgin in upper but to Atlanta - £3700 for 3 so I was pleased. The Delta flights were $900 to MCO. We're doing the ex Dublin route in summer.
That's a good deal too. Crazy how they fluctuate by thousands!!

Thanks for your input guys! I stayed up until midnight for BA tickets but thought they were too expensive so didn't end up booking (they were about £850pp, and then went up to around £1000pp by 7am) - I had kinda hoped for virgin tickets anyway from all the positive comments on here, so fingers crossed we'll get a good price when they are released, or when they go on Christmas sale

Here is another thought

Try Aer Lingus Via Dublin ( You do Immigration & Customs in Dublin) & you arrive as a domestic Pax.

so straight to baggage pick up & then to bus.

That's a good idea!! We're still hoping for direct flights, but if Virgin's direct flights come out too expensive or don't drop much in the Christmas sales we'll definitely keep this in mind!

Just returned from London i had vowed i would never fly with Virgin after issues years ago .I had a wonderful flight and was very impressed how they handled an issue with a family travelling with a handicapped child poor mother had her hands full was very tearful for poor lady. .The crew were also very helpful as my connection very tight crew walked me through customs i would never had made it without their help .My luggage was over weight no charge just put a heavy sign on it.I cant say a bad word about Virgin will choose them again very nice flight both ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter