[B]Polynesian Captain Cooks' closed for the summer[/B]

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
Captain Cooks' closed for the summer
Went to Disney about 3 weeks ago and stayed at the Poly. As many of you may know by now (especially Polynesian fans) Captain Cook's is being refurbished until Aug? Sept? Dec? These were the answers we got. It's true that most of the menu is available at Tangaroa Terrace, but it lacks the charm of Captain Cooks and is a little inconvenient as long lines can form. there is only one line for ordering AND paying. So if you only want a container of milk or an ice cream bar, you may have to wait a while. Also, there are no refillable mugs, which is a bit inconvenient. Does anyone know why Disney would choose the summer (one of the busiest times of year) to do this refurbishment? I would have thought it would have been done in Sept-Oct. Anyway still had a great time and it is still by far my favorite hotel; as I have stayed there 20+ times.

johnvree said:
How does the old location look right now? Is it boarded up? An eyesore?
It is boraded up but they did a pretty nice job of hiding it. It's not nearly the eyesore that i thought it would be. It's noticeable if you look for it, but it's rally not that bad

They are probably trying to make sure it's ready by Christmas/New Years wich is THE busiest time of year for Disney.

mickey0624 said:
Captain Cooks' closed for the summer
Went to Disney about 3 weeks ago and stayed at the Poly. As many of you may know by now (especially Polynesian fans) Captain Cook's is being refurbished until Aug? Sept? Dec? These were the answers we got. It's true that most of the menu is available at Tangaroa Terrace, but it lacks the charm of Captain Cooks and is a little inconvenient as long lines can form. there is only one line for ordering AND paying. So if you only want a container of milk or an ice cream bar, you may have to wait a while. Also, there are no refillable mugs, which is a bit inconvenient. Does anyone know why Disney would choose the summer (one of the busiest times of year) to do this refurbishment? I would have thought it would have been done in Sept-Oct. Anyway still had a great time and it is still by far my favorite hotel; as I have stayed there 20+ times.

Actually this is the slowest time for the Poly and the perfect time to do it. finally someone that realized the long lines. I was there 3 weeks ago and it was horrible. The line stretched out the door a number of times. We waited an hour twice for food. You are correct in that you have to stand in the one line even if you just want a milk. That one lines turns into an eternity especially when you get those people that don't even look at the menu til they get to the cashier! I spoke with the manager of CC's while there and was told that it is down til December.

I was there a month ago.

The proximity to the arcade, lack of adequate indoor seating, long lines and poor food quality made the temporary CCs a bad experience.

If I ran the place, I'd have moved the arcarde games out and used the space for seating...moved the cashier to a separate location...and would have labelled the item on the menu as "$7 box of lettuce" rather than "grilled chicken ceasar salad"

kidd_freeper said:
I was there a month ago.

The proximity to the arcade, lack of adequate indoor seating, long lines and poor food quality made the temporary CCs a bad experience.

If I ran the place, I'd have moved the arcarde games out and used the space for seating...moved the cashier to a separate location...and would have labelled the item on the menu as "$7 box of lettuce" rather than "grilled chicken ceasar salad"

Was the additional seating in the other room not enough. It does not look very crowded to me but maybe it is different throughout the day. Most of the recent reports I have read said there was little or no line but I can't comment not having been there myself.

tcc_seats.jpg

I think some people have not discovered that area from the commnets on the boards. But I agree that most do not seem to be having trouble with lines. I wonder if the crcowded days are early entry days? :confused3 CC always seemed crazy to me on those mornings.

Daisy, there is no way I would have waited in an hour long line even one day! :crazy: Especially not when Kona is so good as is room service. you have a lot more patience than I!

BCV23 said:
I think some people have not discovered that area from the commnets on the boards. But I agree that most do not seem to be having trouble with lines. I wonder if the crcowded days are early entry days? :confused3 CC always seemed crazy to me on those mornings.

Daisy, there is no way I would have waited in an hour long line even one day! :crazy: Especially not when Kona is so good as is room service. you have a lot more patience than I!

I have to agree with other food options. I think I can count on one hand how many times I have eaten at Captain Cook’s….well maybe two hands but mostly for a late night snack returning from a park. I hardly ever considered it for a meal and the service was always the rudest CMs I ever experienced so I sort of avoided it just because of that.

Well, I've picked up quick breakfast fare there over the years and also have often gone for my morning tea. We used to get DS2 dinner there when he was little and too tired to join the rest of the crew. I'd have a sandwich too. But over the years, we did that less frequently and the sandwich options dwindled too. Now it is usually room service if he's tired.

But I almost always found the CMs there as Polynesian friendly as everyone else. There was a single exception one trip a few years ago and I only saw that woman there that one trip. For many years there was a super friendly and down to earth CM....Debbie I think. But I haven't seen her for 2 or 3 years now. :sad2:

Tikiman said:
Was the additional seating in the other room not enough. It does not look very crowded to me but maybe it is different throughout the day. Most of the recent reports I have read said there was little or no line but I can't comment not having been there myself.

tcc_seats.jpg
If there was additional seating when I was there, it was NOT well marked. People were fighting over chairs to sit on.

There was a closed doorway to the left of the counter, but it was not marked. Was that the way to additional seating? When I was there, I did not see signs indicating any additional seating (inside or outside).

We ended up sitting outside at the exit of the arcade. It was hot, noisy and the games were a serious distraction for my younger kids.

The wait to order food was about 20-30 minutes. Then it was another 10-15 minutes before we could pick it up. When I returned to pick it up, the line was out the door, which would make their wait about an hour.

I returned a second time for a cup of water. The CM was unaware that a container of water was available by the condiments...thus I was refused a cup. I improvised by using my kids milk containers for water.

I've had the chicken ceasar salad at AKL. It was the best. It was made to order and had lots of dressing, crunchy croutons, lots of cheese and a good portion of warm chicken. For the same price at the Poly, I expected the same. What I got instead was a pre-preparred cardboard box filled with lettuce, topped with a cold hunk of chicken about the size of 2 chicken nuggets, no cheese, no croutons and only a trace of dressing on the bottom-most pieces of lettuce.

Sorry, but this was McDonalds-level experience (or worse), one where I would normally would have paid $20 to feed my family of 6. Instead I paid $70.

My plan is to monorail over to CR and get a lunch over there. Maybe I will eat there, maybe I will get it to go. Either one sounds better than eating at the Capt. Crook's.

BTW, I am super disappointed that the mugs are gone for a while. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and I wanted a mug!!!!!!!! :drinking1

BCV23 said:

We don't do early entry. We found the place crowded between 9am and 10 am. When we were there at the pool I would grab lunch around 2pm and it was mobbed. The extra dining area is marked by a sign on the door and the place was packed the 5-6 times we were in CC's so most know about it. WE waited for someone to leave before getting a table there a few times. We didn't want to wait an hour in that line but didn't really think it would take that long when there were two cashiers open but it did. The second time we went DD only wanted a bagel to go as we were heading to the TTC. The rest of us were not hungry. I really didn't want to traipse back to my room and order breakfast. I happen to use room service every chance I get for a nice breakfast but won't for a single bagel. Also, while room service is great, it doesn't come under the DDP so most folks won't use it. I don't use DDP so I have more options. We do Kona's too along with many other restaurants. It would just be nice to have the option for a quicky breakfast that actually was quick.

kidd_freeper said:
If there was additional seating when I was there, it was NOT well marked. People were fighting over chairs to sit on.

There was a closed doorway to the left of the counter, but it was not marked. Was that the way to additional seating? When I was there, I did not see signs indicating any additional seating (inside or outside).

We ended up sitting outside at the exit of the arcade. It was hot, noisy and the games were a serious distraction for my younger kids.

The wait to order food was about 20-30 minutes. Then it was another 10-15 minutes before we could pick it up. When I returned to pick it up, the line was out the door, which would make their wait about an hour.

I returned a second time for a cup of water. The CM was unaware that a container of water was available by the condiments...thus I was refused a cup. I improvised by using my kids milk containers for water.

I've had the chicken ceasar salad at AKL. It was the best. It was made to order and had lots of dressing, crunchy croutons, lots of cheese and a good portion of warm chicken. For the same price at the Poly, I expected the same. What I got instead was a pre-preparred cardboard box filled with lettuce, topped with a cold hunk of chicken about the size of 2 chicken nuggets, no cheese, no croutons and only a trace of dressing on the bottom-most pieces of lettuce.

Sorry, but this was McDonalds-level experience (or worse), one where I would normally would have paid $20 to feed my family of 6. Instead I paid $70.

When we were there 3 weeks ago there was indeed a sign on that side door that said additonal seating with an arrow. The place was always crowded there too so I doubt it wpuld have done you any good. I didn't get the salad but the flatbread, mutli grain turkey sandwhich, and adult grilled cheese were excellant. That was a big improvement. DD missed her hot dog though. Can't believe they would take such a simple thing off the menu.

Daisy, you could always get a single bagel, muffin or whatever at the coffee stand by Kona. :sunny:

I think tons of people enjoy room service. Even if someone is on the DDP, it only covers two meals/night so I would think many of those folfs would still order room service. Some days we order room service breakfast even when we're in Hawaii. And who knows how many people actually do the DDP? :confused3 There is so much talk of it on the boards but still.....

I'm looking forward to trying that multigrain turkey sandwich which sounds much like one that is on the in room dining menu and is sooo good! :thumbsup2

Tikiman said:

tcc_seats.jpg

Steve, any idea on the most realistic time that CC's will reopen? Most sites are saying mid-September. We're going the first week in Oct. and I'm hoping for the soda refills more than the actual CC food.

The ET's for the finished refurbishment seem all over the place.

TIA...

BCV23 said:
Daisy, you could always get a single bagel, muffin or whatever at the coffee stand by Kona. :sunny:

I think tons of people enjoy room service. Even if someone is on the DDP, it only covers two meals/night so I would think many of those folfs would still order room service. Some days we order room service breakfast even when we're in Hawaii. And who knows how many people actually do the DDP? :confused3 There is so much talk of it on the boards but still.....

I'm looking forward to trying that multigrain turkey sandwich which sounds much like one that is on the in room dining menu and is sooo good! :thumbsup2

I have never gotten anything from that stand and never even thought of that! That would still be a pain if we were going to the TTC but a good idea if we were heading to the monorail. I will have to try that next month. About the DDP, I am just going on what some DDP people have said when I suggested room service. It seems as though many aren't willing to pay out of pocket for a Mickey Bar, much less room service! LOL!

Miller1412 said:
Steve, any idea on the most realistic time that CC's will reopen? Most sites are saying mid-September. We're going the first week in Oct. and I'm hoping for the soda refills more than the actual CC food.

The ET's for the finished refurbishment seem all over the place.

TIA...
\

So far the only ETs I've heard are soft opening in November and straight from the manager's mouth, December. I think I'd go by what the manager says and keep at December. :thumbsup2

DaisyD said:
\

So far the only ETs I've heard are soft opening in November and straight from the manager's mouth, December. I think I'd go by what the manager says and keep at December. :thumbsup2

Yeah...I figured. I was just really hoping for my mug and refills. DH called the Poly tonight to ask, but they told him they had no estimated finish date.

Tikiman said:
I hardly ever considered it for a meal and the service was always the rudest CMs I ever experienced so I sort of avoided it just because of that.

FWIW, if our recent experience is any indication, things are changing for the better at CC's. We were there from July 8th (happy b-day Steve ;) ) thru July 14th. The only "long" wait we had was during a huge thunderstorm in the afternoon, and that was a 15 minute wait.

We ate there 4 times and the CM's were great every time...we had bad experiences at the old CC's w/ CM's, but this time they were really good. We also never had to wait for an open table to sit and eat.

And, IMO, the new menu was much better quality than what they used to offer. We didn't plan to eat there so many times, but when comparing to the counter service options at the parks we decided to return to the "temporary" CC's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter