[b]june 1, 2013 magic med 7 day[/b]

Would love everyone's thoughts/opinions on delivery FE gifts ---

I've been reading off and on about some FE gift thefts. My girls and I are working really hard on our FE gifts and we'd hate to see them stolen. They also look like they might be worth "something" so the temptation will be there ;)

Would it be tacky to leave the FE gifts in the FE, but knock on the door and slip a note underneath saying that the gifts are outside so that they are collected immediately?

Is it better just to hand them to the room steward around 4pm in the afternoon? My DH and I would split up and deliver the gifts all at the same time on a Sea Day to catch everyone's room stewards.

We're getting on the ship late on Day 1 so we can't go to the meet.

What do you think people on our cruise would prefer? We will only be delivering on the 2 Sea days since our port days will be so long. Thanks!

Would love everyone's thoughts/opinions on delivery FE gifts ---

I've been reading off and on about some FE gift thefts. My girls and I are working really hard on our FE gifts and we'd hate to see them stolen. They also look like they might be worth "something" so the temptation will be there ;)

Would it be tacky to leave the FE gifts in the FE, but knock on the door and slip a note underneath saying that the gifts are outside so that they are collected immediately?

Is it better just to hand them to the room steward around 4pm in the afternoon? My DH and I would split up and deliver the gifts all at the same time on a Sea Day to catch everyone's room stewards.

We're getting on the ship late on Day 1 so we can't go to the meet.

What do you think people on our cruise would prefer? We will only be delivering on the 2 Sea days since our port days will be so long. Thanks!

This will be our first cruise, but I wouldn't mind if you wanted to knock on the door and post a note under the door. maybe we could all leave a calling card (nothing fancy) under the door so we know that something has been added. This way we would know if something has been taken.

They don't need to be signed, just saying something like "special delivery notice".

This will be our first cruise, but I wouldn't mind if you wanted to knock on the door and post a note under the door. maybe we could all leave a calling card (nothing fancy) under the door so we know that something has been added. This way we would know if something has been taken.

They don't need to be signed, just saying something like "special delivery notice".

Actually that's a good idea. Even if I"m not in the room, I'd like to know when I get back that something should be in the FE.

Maybe I'll slip a note and not knock, so as not to bother people who might mind.

Actually that's a good idea. Even if I"m not in the room, I'd like to know when I get back that something should be in the FE.

Maybe I'll slip a note and not knock, so as not to bother people who might mind.

When I was explaining the FE Exchange to friends some of them did mention the possibility of theft. Maybe Annemarie could give us some advice on this?

When I was explaining the FE Exchange to friends some of them did mention the possibility of theft. Maybe Annemarie could give us some advice on this?

I've never had any problems with theft from FEs as far as I know, but I've been reading more and more about it lately.

I think it's a great idea if you want to leave a calling card, even if the card is left in the pocket of the FE but separate from the gift.

Another good time to deliver is early in morning whilst people are at breakfast, that way when they go back to their cabins after breakfast they'll find them, otherwise room steward will be along shortly after.

I know it's meant to be a secret gift giving thing, but we always put a little card in with our gifts to say who it's for and who it's from.

I've never had any problems with theft from FEs as far as I know, but I've been reading more and more about it lately.

I think it's a great idea if you want to leave a calling card, even if the card is left in the pocket of the FE but separate from the gift.

Another good time to deliver is early in morning whilst people are at breakfast, that way when they go back to their cabins after breakfast they'll find them, otherwise room steward will be along shortly after.

I know it's meant to be a secret gift giving thing, but we always put a little card in with our gifts to say who it's for and who it's from.

Perfect solution. Thank you.

Evelyn

Perfect solution. Thank you.

Evelyn

I've just done a search on other threads about this and the one thing that comes out is that many people don't like the idea of knocking on the door for a number of reasons. As my gifts are too big for the pockets I am using gift bags and i was intending just to leave them outside the door which would have made it very easy for someone to pick it up. however i found a tip that using pipe cleaners to attach the bag either to the door handle or on the hook behind the FE holder would make a bit more secure.

Evelyn

We just got back from a cruise and we didn't have a single problem with our FE gifts getting stolen. I agree with others that it's best to deliver earlier rather than late at night, one because then people will bring them into their rooms before bedtime, and two, because the stateroom host/ess are usually around and a lot of times they will take them into the room for the guests.

We also had no problems with our magnets on our door other than someone was cute and turned a bunch of them upside down! LOL! Even though many were not personalized, none of them went missing.

Does anybody know if we need to take our passports with us when we go on our excursions?

We always carry ours - just in case. Never know if something would happen and you'd need it............

But you don't go thru "customs" like you would if you were flying, so it's not required.....

I've just done a search on other threads about this and the one thing that comes out is that many people don't like the idea of knocking on the door for a number of reasons. As my gifts are too big for the pockets I am using gift bags and i was intending just to leave them outside the door which would have made it very easy for someone to pick it up. however i found a tip that using pipe cleaners to attach the bag either to the door handle or on the hook behind the FE holder would make a bit more secure.

Evelyn

I think we'll use the pipe cleaners too, and slip a note under the door (no knocking). :)

Yeah, but they don't seem to understand the purpose of your money belt.

you don't carry around EVERY Euro you bring in that thing. If you are dipping into it to buy your train fare into the city you missed the point!

Put some cash in your purse, just don't put 100's of Euros. I stick to 20 to 40 Euros in most cases unless I know I will need more. Then the big bills, credit cards, passport, etc go in the money belt. I only get into it if I make a MAJOR purchase, not to buy gelato.

The Center for Disease Control has some interesting information for healthy cruising. You can also review the most recent vessel inspection reports. The Disney Magic scored a 95 out of 100 on it's last review, late 2012.

The last reported Nirvo outbreak on the Magic was in 2002.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/public/public.htm

From this site you can also find travelers advisories and travel advise in the Travelers' Health section.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

There is also a link to the Registration of Traveler Emergency Contact and Itinerary Information. This is a free travel registration service provided by the U.S. State Department to U.S. citizens who are traveling outside the US.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/register-contact-info.htm
or https://step.state.gov/step/

We always carry ours - just in case. Never know if something would happen and you'd need it............

But you don't go thru "customs" like you would if you were flying, so it's not required.....

I was just curious about that. It would be nice to just leave it on the ship and have one less thing to worry about when it comes to pickpockets.

I may be over thinking this pickpocket thing but I'm just so damn worried about it. I like to carry around my dslr with me and now I'm thinking about just leaving my camera at home....

I was just curious about that. It would be nice to just leave it on the ship and have one less thing to worry about when it comes to pickpockets.

I may be over thinking this pickpocket thing but I'm just so damn worried about it. I like to carry around my dslr with me and now I'm thinking about just leaving my camera at home....

Just wear your camera around your neck! You have to take pictures!
We're leaving the passport at the ship. I made copies and will carry the copies.

So you are going to let your fear drive your vacation?

My rules!

1. Passport, credit cards etc go in a money belt
2. Common sense for your other belongings

(I take my DSLR)

Maybe everyone on here lives in Mayberry where you can just leave the back door open and there is no crime, but.....

Honestly, Europe is probably SAFER then where most of us live. The "thieves" don't have guns.

The bigger issue is more the 'hassle' factor. It's one thing to back to my office and call the bank when I lose my debit card. IT's harder to do that from Europe and I don't want to waste my vacation time. So I use a money belt.

If you are letting the "hysteria" get to you it's time to step away from the computer LOL!

I go to Europe at least annually as a solo female traveler. Using the two rules above I have never had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter