Awesome Pin

Talking Hands

<font color=purple><b>|,,|/</b> DEAF DISNEY LOVER<
I got the most awesome Pooh pin off a castmember lanyard this last trip. It is a Winnie the Pooh puppet. He said it was from England. Has anyone else seen this?

Hi,

as an english pin trader i havent heard of this one though it does sound really cute!

if you collect winnie the poohs have you got the uk one that has wobbly legs?

Regards

Raksha

No I don't Haven't seen it yet. And yes I do collect Winnie the Pooh

Hi,

if you use pin pics its number 12016,

I have a spare one if you want to trade sometime.

Regards

Toni
aka Raksha

P.S as a uk signer (not deaf) i am curious how do you manage to sign to songs when your driving etc?
I end up dropping things when i try and talk with my hands full.

That's the one I have.
I sign one handed when I sign songs in the car. Do it all the time as I use a cane to walk most of the time. Not a big deal. In ASL the opposite hand acts primarily as a base for the dominate hand and isn't crucial all of the time.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know, i had seen that ASL had a one handed alaphabet, but not that you can sign one handed as well, intresting.
BSL is very much a two handed language.

Thanks

Toni

I saw something really nice on my last trip. As you probably know the interpreters at the parks do the shows and parades in ASL on a set schedule. Well I went to watch the Tapestry of Dreams Parade and there was a young British boy with a CI. The interpreter knows the BSL alphabet and a few signs. So while she interpreted the parade she added explainations of our ASL signs with BSL fingerspelling as well as interpreting and expanding so he could understand what was going on.
Only thing that irritated me was the people who would walk between him and the interpreter. I finally positioned myself so no one could cross in front of the child and that way we could both enjoy the parade fully.

Hi Lisa,

i would probably do the same, some people just don't think, or engage their common sense. I spent almost four months using a wheelchair in January (broke my ankle, which needed a rebuild)
The number of people who tried to walk through my leg stick out of the wheelchair was ridiculous!
Though i would probably do it, for me as well, because i learnt BSL for two reasons i have some hearing difficulties [ i can't pick out the sounds i want from background noises, like most people tune in the the voice they want an ignore the rest]
it also facinates me, how expressive a language it is, i hope i can get back into using it on a more regular basis in september.

Toni

Toni,
I am the same way. Can't tune in on voices for the background noise. That will limit where I can interpret :( But I love the language. It is really beautiful. Fortunately there are hearing aids and assistive listening devices to help.
Btw my oldest daughter signs as well.

Thats pretty cool,

my hubby can read some of my signing, but he isn't very good at lsigning back to me, i think what did help me when i was learning, was the fact my tutor was deaf. When i did the introductory secession, the tutor was hearing, and she wouldn't stop talking!

My only problem now is the friend i went to classes with has a progressive disease, so she is finding it harder and harder to sign, she learnt BSL because she works Candoco an intergrated dance company, so some of her friends are deaf and as part of her job as education officer means she has to communicate with others as well.
Other than her i don't get to use it much, though last year i did have a laugh on a couple of teenage boys that were on my train, they were signing to each other, and for a bit of practice i was watching them to see how much of what they were saying i could understand. (i dont do this normally but i had finished my book!) I realised half way through their chat that they were dicussing the girls sitting opposite them, and they weren't being very polite. I had to walk past them to get off the train, so as i walked past, i signed to them "you should be more careful about what you say about people, you never know who might understand!" and then got off the train, they both went bright red, they were young teenagers so i did say it in a light hearted way, cos i just wanted to encourage them to think first, the same way i would if i had a couple of my scouts talking out loud about someone. but it did bring a smile to my face.

regards
toni

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter