Avatar land coming to Animal Kingdom!!

Hmmmm....

You know, I wonder if a World of Color-Esque show would be doable at AK? I could almost see something like that fitting into the whole Avatar at night vibe.... and with a water fountain type show they would be able to avoid the pyrotechnics that would be more likely to spook the animals.

And if you look at the park on Google Maps, there is a lake behind Dinoland/Everest along with a LOT of trees...might be the perfect spot for this expansion?

Of course...they'll have to bulldoze some trees to make a land about conservation :rotfl: (totally lighthearted comment!)

Yay for corporate sponsorship!
The reason I don't really care for the idea is that AK is Disney's most down to earth/real park. Almost the entire park is immaculately themed and almost completely immersive to the environment it is depicting. Even with Everest the mythical Yeti has a very "real" feeling. The giant tree is a bit of a sore thumb but it is camouflaged pretty well in greenery and local animal reliefs.
I kind of liked the beastly kingdom idea but only if it didn't go overboard with the fantasy aspect. I think adding a mythical beast thrill ride to each of the lands was a better and more balanced approach. Only problem is that most mythical creatures are Eurasian (can't think of one that would relate for westerners out of Africa, Aus or SA).
I'm afraid that Avatar will blow that immersion out of the water. "Look! We're exploring ancient Indian ruins infested with monkeys... now we're fighting space marines with 7ft aliens through lush rainforest and floating mountains...?!"
While I admit that I didn't care much for the movie I think a park incorporation could be done and done well at Disney. I just don't think Sci Fi is the way to go with AK. Walt's dream was to always have a park with real animals even incorporated with his rides. I think he would have loved AK. Now how would he feel about throwing aliens and space marines in the mix?
The problem is that I can't really think of a better park to add a whole new land to that would work better. DS might be OK but it isn't a lush environment.

Coming soon... Twilight Land, complete with sparkly vampires, werewolves, and a show where you experience the birth of Reneseme in 3D.

(If all Disney is going to do is chase hot movie franchises, I can see that's where this is headed.)

And if you look at the park on Google Maps, there is a lake behind Dinoland/Everest along with a LOT of trees...might be the perfect spot for this expansion?

Of course...they'll have to bulldoze some trees to make a land about conservation :rotfl: (totally lighthearted comment!)

Now THAT'S funny! :lmao:

While it is a lot of money, it's also a statistic that doesn't mean as much as it used to. The price of a regular 2D movie is close to $15 around here. Add on the surcharge for 3D or IMAX which was a nice size portion of the ticket sales and your talking about a $2.8 billion movie that didn't sell nearly as many tickets as it sounds like it did.

When you're talking about BILLIONS, it still means an awful lot.

I agree when people say that 100 million, now, isn't what 100 million was even 10 years ago.

But 2.8 BILLION? Inflation is a factor, but it's not THAT much of a factor.

Even assuming an average ticket price of $25 (and even adding IMAX and 3d...I doubt that was the average price per ticket for avatar) you're talking something like 112 million tickets sold.

That, my friend, is a whole lot of keisters in seats.

I think I may end up asking my wife to change our plans for 2015 Disneyland trip for my college graduation to WDW so I can see this land sooner. :)

I can't believe people are already saying this is a bad idea. i think it's great and can't wait until they release some additional details and concept art. This is going to be big and well liked by a lot of people. Just look how well the movie did? Give it time people!!!!:thumbsup2

I know you are a self professed nerd and I mean no disrespect....but you can't compare Potter to Star Wars....:sad2:

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Of course you can. Unlike Avatar, both Star Wars and Harry Potter were epic, complex, stories, full of all kinds of deep, fascinating characters, told over the course of years. Both have a huge, broad fanbase and have become ingrained in our culture.
Will Avatar eventually attain this kind of status after the sequels come out?
I guess it's possible, but based on the first movie, I'm pretty skeptical.

I actually really liked the movie, at least from a technology and mythical world perspective. And I can see a lot of opportunity to do some really cool stuff in a theme park. But I just don't see it having the lasting appeal of a Harry Potter or Star Wars, or even LOTR theme.

I do like the idea of a mythical world at AK. I just wish they had picked a better franchise or better yet, done something totally original.

Coming soon... Twilight Land, complete with sparkly vampires, werewolves, and a show where you experience the birth of Reneseme in 3D.

(If all Disney is going to do is chase hot movie franchises, I can see that's where this is headed.)

:rotfl: Now that was hilarious!! I'm thinking a Vamp League...you can be sparkly or you can be an irritating, morose, moony teenaged girl.

Honestly, I'm not sure where I come down on this, but I think I'm tentatively positive on the idea. I liked Avatar. I loved the environmental message (hardcore leftist is me, and I can't imagine how anyone could be against environmentalism :confused:), enjoyed the beauty of it, and am looking forward to the sequels. I'm sure it will be really well done and I'll enjoy it.

I don't know if it belongs in WDW, but then again, I'm happy that they're trying something BIG here. Something different. It's not like Swiss Family Robinson was a ratings juggernaut, but somehow people love that. And believe me, I love the original Imagineered attractions as much as anyone (especially HM and POTC), but if they're competing against big moves like WWOHP by Universal, they need to go big. And what's going to draw in massive crowds? A massive, worldwide smash.

Maybe Avatar will be a Star Wars level classic series, maybe not. It doesn't mean they wouldn't have a hot attraction on their hands for the next 10 years or so. And then they make back their money, make a profit, and see that no one cares anymore, and they retheme it in 2030. It's probably still a win for Disney.

I do agree that if they retheme any AKL rooms I will be :mad:. But I'm glad they're taking a risk, I'm glad they're going big, I'm glad they're going out of their comfort zone. And I do think Walt would have seen the potential and gone for it here. He was a pragmatist and a businessman.

Not at all. But one ride and one show at DHS (a park where "random" movies fit much better IMO) is different to me then an entire land in AK based on a franchise that has had one successful film so far.

For the record, I would also hate to see a "Jungle Book Land" at AK. Would it fit? Yes. Is it Disney? Yes, but that's just not what makes WDW what it is to me. Their best attractions IMO are the ones that were based on nothing more then creativity on the part of the Imagineers.

The imagineers are still going to be the ones helping to create this new project. Just because it's not a disney movie this is a bad idea??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter