Aussie Disneyland Planners come on in and lets plan together :)

Thanks Flea for the link for DL's Australian site. Through that I was able to order the Disneyland Planning DVD, something which I hadn't been able to do through their US site. Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.disney.com.au/disneyland/disneyland_dvd.html

I ordered one a while ago - not sure if they have changed but it was still the year of a million dreams one. I got mine about 2 months ago and it's well watched. My girls watch it every couple of days and get excited.

We've also downloaded a couple of Youtube on ride vids for the girls to watch (since they watch them constantly and kept using up my broadband allowance).

With cashpassport you can only withdraw money from ATMs, you can't make purchases with it or get money from eftpos machines.

The ANZ travel card is like a prepaid Visa, so you can use it anywhere you'd use a credit card.

Good to know. Thanks!:goodvibes

There are so many choices these days - in the 'olden days' it used to boil down to travellers's cheques, cash or credit cards. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks Flea for the link for DL's Australian site. Through that I was able to order the Disneyland Planning DVD, something which I hadn't been able to do through their US site. Here is the link for anyone interested:

http://www.disney.com.au/disneyland/disneyland_dvd.html

Thanks so much for this link! I wanted to order one off the US Disney site but couldn't because they wouldn't ship to Australia.

I just registered and ordered my DVD :)

We did Chef Mickeys and really enjoyed it. The food was OK BUt hey we weren't really there for the food.
We also did Crystal Palace in MK, my daughter is a big Pooh fan so that was a must, I think the food was better there than at CM.
One thing with CP is if you do breakfast early you can get in the park before it opens and get some great photos without the crowds.

Prime time was a lot of fun and not very expensive, Sci-fi is also meant to be good especially if you have boys.

Are you doing DL and WDW in one trip??

Yes, both in one trip. 12 days at WDW and about 10-12 days in Anaheim. We're also doing 4 or 5 days in NYC and a few days in Washington DC and San Deigo. We've booked the BNE-NYC-LAX-BNE flights but we're still working out the exact itinerary for the non WDW part.

I've been to DL about 6 or 7 times but have always wanted to go to WDW, but it was always too far and too expensive. Recently though Qantas had a great deal on flights to New York so we decided to bite the bullet and do a 'side trip' down to WDW.

I'm trying to get over the cost of NY hotels :scared1: I'm sure they weren't this expensive on previous trips. (Or maybe they were and I just didn't realise it because the cost was being split with friends whereas this time it's only coming out of my pocket (and DH's). LOL

Thanks so much for this link! I wanted to order one off the US Disney site but couldn't because they wouldn't ship to Australia.

I just registered and ordered my DVD :)

I ordered my DVD on Sunday of this week and it arrived today (Friday). I was really impressed with the quick delivery.

Has anyone stayed in New York? Do you have any recommendations on where to stay?
Even though it's a while off I've started pricing NY as a comparrison to LV for our next trip - there are other family thinking of coming, but need prices! Miss 6 loved Las Vegas, but also wants to go to NY. I would like to go to NY, but the extra 6 hours each way... yuk!

We stayed in the Four Seasons in LV last year. We enjoyed it, pricey, but quiet and brilliant views. It's on top of the Mandalay Bay. I'm torn between staying at the Bellagio if we return to LV or returning to Four Seasons.

Anyway, whilst searching for prices I found Hampton Inn Times Square North(Hilton Chain) On Trip Advisor. Over a Sept/Oct period it averaged around US$275 a night. It looked like a good family type place, good value. Included a basic breakfast.

I'm trying to get over the cost of NY hotels :scared1: I'm sure they weren't this expensive on previous trips. (Or maybe they were and I just didn't realise it because the cost was being split with friends whereas this time it's only coming out of my pocket (and DH's). LOL

I know, NY is soooooo expensive!! Lucky we're not paying for accomodation there otherwise I don't think we'd be able to afford to go!

I love having an Aussie thread! Thanks aussiedaisy for starting it :) It's great to talk to others in the same time zone. I found I was posting questions but wasn't getting answers for at least a day because of the time difference in the US. Everyone was in bed when I wanted to chat!

Yay!! That's super fast!

What's the DVD like?

Umm, not quite what I was expecting, to be honest. It was a little bit out of date as it referred to some promotions and things that happened pre 2008/09.

It was pretty though, but it didn't really give me any planing info. Still, it's a nice 'souvenier' to have to keep with the gazillion videos and photos we're bound to take on the actual trip. :)

Yes, both in one trip. 12 days at WDW and about 10-12 days in Anaheim. We're also doing 4 or 5 days in NYC and a few days in Washington DC and San Deigo. We've booked the BNE-NYC-LAX-BNE flights but we're still working out the exact itinerary for the non WDW part.

I've been to DL about 6 or 7 times but have always wanted to go to WDW, but it was always too far and too expensive. Recently though Qantas had a great deal on flights to New York so we decided to bite the bullet and do a 'side trip' down to WDW.

Wow thats sound amazing:thumbsup2

Hopefully the New York hotels will get a bit cheaper, but some times you just have to forget about the money, when you spend so much just to get there you may as well enjoy it. Besides it should all become cheaper now that the whole world has no money to spend.;)

We may be going back in April next year, my daughters dance school is planning a trip for them to dance at DL. I am secretly hoping that we can do a few days in DL then fly to NY for a week then down to WDW and maybe a disney cruise.
The only problem is it will only be 10 weeks after we get back from our trip in Dec/Jan, so DH and DS won't be coming (my DS will be doing his HSC next year so really can't afford to have time off school).

Wow thats sound amazing:thumbsup2

Hopefully the New York hotels will get a bit cheaper, but some times you just have to forget about the money, when you spend so much just to get there you may as well enjoy it. Besides it should all become cheaper now that the whole world has no money to spend.;)

We may be going back in April next year, my daughters dance school is planning a trip for them to dance at DL. I am secretly hoping that we can do a few days in DL then fly to NY for a week then down to WDW and maybe a disney cruise.

Yes, in the end I decided that if we're going to go all the way to WDW we may as well do it properly. Due to the distance it'll probably be our only trip there so I thought we may as well make it worthwhile, which is how we ended up booking onsite rather than offsite. Despite that though I can't justify outlaying over $2600 AUD for the meal plan - I'm sure we can do it much cheaper just buying meals as we go.

A disney cruise would be fantastic! I looked into doing it this trip but I just couldn't the dates/timing right. We did a P&O Pacific cruise in 2008 and it was okay but I think a Disney one would be fab!

How great that your DD gets to travel to Disney with a dancing school! What a fantastic oportunity. Are there limits on the number of parent chaperones or can all parents go if they want to? Is it too late for me to join this group, lol.

My friend's DD will be in grade 12 next year and the school is organising a trip to coincide with Schoolie's Week - to the USA. I wish we'd had those opportunities when I was in school.

The only problem is it will only be 10 weeks after we get back from our trip in Dec/Jan, so DH and DS won't be coming

Our travel insurance was from SureSave (then Mondial.) www.suresave.net.au They have a multi-trip policy which is valid anywhere internationally and domestically for 12 months. DH had a trip to LV earlier in the year, with preexisting conditions so he only had to go through the whole medical thing once. I think it was a 6 week maximum per trip, unlimited amounts of trips. Worked out at just under the same price as two trips.

Yes, in the end I decided that if we're going to go all the way to WDW we may as well do it properly. Due to the distance it'll probably be our only trip there so I thought we may as well make it worthwhile, which is how we ended up booking onsite rather than offsite. Despite that though I can't justify outlaying over $2600 AUD for the meal plan - I'm sure we can do it much cheaper just buying meals as we go.

A disney cruise would be fantastic! I looked into doing it this trip but I just couldn't the dates/timing right. We did a P&O Pacific cruise in 2008 and it was okay but I think a Disney one would be fab!

How great that your DD gets to travel to Disney with a dancing school! What a fantastic oportunity. Are there limits on the number of parent chaperones or can all parents go if they want to? Is it too late for me to join this group, lol.

My friend's DD will be in grade 12 next year and the school is organising a trip to coincide with Schoolie's Week - to the USA. I wish we'd had those opportunities when I was in school.

We were lucky when we went in 2008. The dollar was good and it was value season. Our package included the dining plan, 8 day hoppers with waterparks and 7 days at the Contemporary for just over $3000 USD and with the USD at 92c so around $3500AUD. Now 4 nights in DL and 4 day hoppers will be costing us close to $2500 AUD:confused3

The disney cruises do look fantastic, we just didn't have the time last year my hubby wanted to get to Canada to Ski:sad2: Mind you we did have a fantastic time skiing and Canada is just amazing so I am really glad to be going back this year again. I just have to make everyone happy, which means DH and DS skiing and DD and me disney.
I just don't understand why they don't love disney as much as me:rolleyes:
I might have to trade them in and get a new DH and DS.

Our travel insurance was from SureSave (then Mondial.) www.suresave.net.au They have a multi-trip policy which is valid anywhere internationally and domestically for 12 months. DH had a trip to LV earlier in the year, with preexisting conditions so he only had to go through the whole medical thing once. I think it was a 6 week maximum per trip, unlimited amounts of trips. Worked out at just under the same price as two trips.

Wow thanks,

I hadn't even thought about that. Thats what is so good about the disboards.

I have been looking to see whether it would be worth it to upgrade to a AP when I am there, but it will depend on how many days we spend in DL the second trip. Hopefully will have more of an idea in the next month or so.

PoohBear1988 - Can i ask what you thought of the Carousel? We are staying there in October and there are mixed reviews on trip advisor so i am just wanting someone locals opinion

wow! this thread moved fast tonight!

We really liked the carousel and would stay there again. It was so close to the entrance (at the end of the night i dont think i would have wanted to walk as far as Hojo!) and we didnt have any problems with the room or the service.

the breakfast was nothing special, but we were able to get cereal, toast and juice which is what we would normally have anyway, they also had coffee, muffins, fruit, croissants etc (and the bfast room has a great view of disneyland!!)

My parents has stayed there previously so we requested the rooms separate from the main building, so looking at the hotel from harbour on the right hand side. (i think they call it tower 2 now) it is only one storey of rooms above the car spots and has the laundry room at the end (although there is no lift so had to carry bags up and down stairs - but no hassle) it meant that we didnt have ppl constantly walking past, in fact for the 15 nights we were there we didnt have anyone in the room next to us (we were on the end).

also, anyone with NRMA on the back have a look if it says AAA as we were able to get discounts at minnie and friends bfast as well as the walk in walts footsteps tour just for showing our nrma card, and i know some of the hotels if booking online have deals for AAA members.

Love this thread, so yes please count us in as well.
We are two sisters from WA who just love, love, love the Disney Parks. We have been lucky enough to visit every park worldwide (except the 2nd Disney Paris one).

Dollarmite I couldn't help laughing when I read your comment about it being a once in a lifetime trip. That is exactly what we told ourselves for the 2 years we planned & planned our first WDW trip. Every time we went over our planned budget, we would just shrug it off with "it is a once in a lifetime trip". So here we are 5 years later with another 2 trips there (& DVC members as well!!). Have a ball - you are going to love it (& be blown away by how vast it is).

I would also like to offer an alternative that may be helpful to some people purchasing the 14 day Disneyland passes. Compare the cost of purchasing a Premium Annual Pass with how many days you want to do. Firstly if you are lucky enough to be planning 2 trips within the space of a year this may be a more economical option. Secondly the PAP comes with extra perks such as (please double check these next figures) 15% off most Dining in the Parks & Hotels & 10% off most dining at Downtown Disney. Also 10% of a lot of shops including World of Disney. Hope this can save someone some money!

We had absolutely no intention of a US trip this year, but were blown away by the airfare specials that were out. We snapped up a flight to New York from Perth for $1590. Unbelievable. Disney won't be the MAIN focus of this trip but of course we have to stop at Disneyland on the way home for 3 days (Woo Hoo).

Just curious - does anyone else get excited about all the US chain restaurants like we do? Love just about all the ones on South Harbour accross fom Disneyland (the IHOP, Denny's, Tony Romas, Quiznos). Or is just us saddos?

Love this thread, so yes please count us in as well.
We are two sisters from WA who just love, love, love the Disney Parks. We have been lucky enough to visit every park worldwide (except the 2nd Disney Paris one).

Dollarmite I couldn't help laughing when I read your comment about it being a once in a lifetime trip. That is exactly what we told ourselves for the 2 years we planned & planned our first WDW trip. Every time we went over our planned budget, we would just shrug it off with "it is a once in a lifetime trip". So here we are 5 years later with another 2 trips there (& DVC members as well!!). Have a ball - you are going to love it (& be blown away by how vast it is).

I would also like to offer an alternative that may be helpful to some people purchasing the 14 day Disneyland passes. Compare the cost of purchasing a Premium Annual Pass with how many days you want to do. Firstly if you are lucky enough to be planning 2 trips within the space of a year this may be a more economical option. Secondly the PAP comes with extra perks such as (please double check these next figures) 15% off most Dining in the Parks & Hotels & 10% off most dining at Downtown Disney. Also 10% of a lot of shops including World of Disney. Hope this can save someone some money!

<snip>

Just curious - does anyone else get excited about all the US chain restaurants like we do? Love just about all the ones on South Harbour accross fom Disneyland (the IHOP, Denny's, Tony Romas, Quiznos). Or is just us saddos?

DH and I LOVE Denny's and can't wait to eat there again. There are a couple of Denny's in NZ and we make it a point of eating there whenever we go over. :yay:

LOL, re the once in a lifetime trip. :rotfl: My first trip there (on the way to the UK/Europe) was in 1990 and was going to be a 'once in a lifetime' thing - till I ended up back there in 1992, 93, 94, 98. The 1993/94 visits were within an 8 month period so I'm hoping that we DO end up going to WDW again - so long as I can survive the jet lag.

The AP option is an excellent one and I looked into it a few weeks ago, only to discover that 3 of the days we are there are blacked out due to Thanksgiving. :sad2:

There's a 2nd Paris Disney!? Is it near the original one? Some friends and I visited the 1st one in 1993 and it was lovely - very bright and fresh. Would love to go back. The family and I were supposed to visit the Hong Kong one last year but had to cancel due to work issues. Hopefully next year...

I don't get excited about Denny's because we have lots here in NZ and we never visit. I've heard bad things about Ihop so we wont go there.

But I'm excited about going to the US supermarket ;) My American friend tells me it's like a themepark in itself.

I'm also excited about Curly Fries (I know you can get them in Oz but haven't seen them in NZ), I'm excited about Churro's, I'm excited about sugar coated cereals, something we never indulge in back home. I have a long list of foods I want to try on our trip. We aren't huge eaters really so we are trying to work out the best way of eating - my friends keep telling me the meals are huge but I guess we need to see for ourselves.

And I'm excited about department stores - Macy's I'm excited about wal-mart and joannes and I'm especially excited about www.wildfiber.org which we are going to on our SantaMonica excursion

No hope in us going back in a year :( I start studying next year to become a teacher so I'll be out of long distance travelling action for about 3 years while I pay Uni Fees :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter