Aulani TR - Sharks, Horses, a sub-scooter and Mickey!

(Continued from previous post...again again)

And I finally made it down to the beach. A couple of panorama shots
221.jpg

222.jpg

And other pics from the beach
223.jpg

224.jpg

225.jpg

226.jpg

Someone getting their wedding pics taken
227.jpg

A diving platform, kayaks for rent and snorkelers
228.jpg

229.jpg

230.jpg

A place to relax
231.jpg

Ewa Tower from the beach
232.jpg

Wai’anae Tower from the beach
233.jpg

Disney was celebrating the 1 year anniversary of the official opening of Aulani and had media there broadcasting from the resort
234.jpg

Slides at Pu’ u kilo
235.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

(Continued in next post...again again again)

(Continued from previous post...again again again)

It was time to head back to DW so I stopped at the Papalua Shave Ice stand and took her back a treat. No pic here. It didn’t last long enough!

We relaxed for a good long time while Edwin plied us with various adult beverages. We did get up and move one time to a shadier spot and because we were by one of the cabanas. Inside the cabana, the renters had the TV going and it was on a MSNBC station discussing the upcoming Presidential election. C’mon people, you’re on vacation! Let it go!

After a while we decided to float the Waikolohe Stream. It was very nice. Long enough to make it a lazy river, well themed as you would expect and fortunately for us, not very crowded at all. Here are pics from our “trip” down the river…
238.jpg

239.jpg

240.jpg

241.jpg

242.jpg

243.jpg

244.jpg

245.jpg

246.jpg

247.jpg

Photopass anyone?
248.jpg

I sure hope the Menehunes aren't relieving themselves! :sad2:
249.jpg

250.jpg

And as we head to the end…
251.jpg

252.jpg

253.jpg

We chilled by the pool some more. CM Edwin brought us another round of drinks. After a while we decided it was time to eat and then attend Starlit Hui so up to the room to clean up and change. More on this relaxing day later. I've posted enough (too many?) pictures for one day! :confused3

I am dying to book a trip after those last 2 updates!

Well, except for the ticket part.

:lmao:

What a wonderful excursion to the ranch, I can't believe all that was packed into that tour. I went on a cattle drive excursion once and I swear, those horses were programmed to go in a certain route, and only that route. VERY hard to get them to do anything else. Which we learned the hard way when one friend who was given an unprogrammed horse (wild mustang supposedly broken in) and it stepped on some cacti. Threw her, and the rest of us could NOT get our horses to head back so we could check on her!

Very glad that didn't happen to you! Looks like a gorgeous ride, all of them!

I love Roy's. We used to have one here in Seattle and I was very sad when it went away. Serious yum.

The resort is stunning and the standard view would definitely be called mountain or territorial at most HI resorts (versus street/parking lot) so awfully nice..as is the 1B!

I am dying to book a trip after those last 2 updates!

Well, except for the ticket part.

:lmao:

What a wonderful excursion to the ranch, I can't believe all that was packed into that tour. I went on a cattle drive excursion once and I swear, those horses were programmed to go in a certain route, and only that route. VERY hard to get them to do anything else. Which we learned the hard way when one friend who was given an unprogrammed horse (wild mustang supposedly broken in) and it stepped on some cacti. Threw her, and the rest of us could NOT get our horses to head back so we could check on her!

Very glad that didn't happen to you! Looks like a gorgeous ride, all of them!

I love Roy's. We used to have one here in Seattle and I was very sad when it went away. Serious yum.

The resort is stunning and the standard view would definitely be called mountain or territorial at most HI resorts (versus street/parking lot) so awfully nice..as is the 1B!

The horses were pretty tame. One girl, who obviously had never ridden before, let the reins go slack and the horse decided to graze. She was too timid to kick the horse or jerk up on the reins so the guide had to come along and lead her back to the trail. Fortunately, no bucking broncs in our group! The trip to the ranch was definately a highlight up to this point in the trip. There is more later on that would top it! (How's that for a teaser? :rotfl2:)

Roy's was REALLY great. Disney should get them to open a place in Aulani!

Aulani is beautifully themed. Disney really goes all out in their DVC resorts to match the architecture to the theme of the resort. At WDW, they decide the theme by the name of the resort. At Aulani, no named theme is needed. The location does it all and Disney hit a home run!

Wow I was so far behind!! The scuba scooters looked so cool! And the Ranch tour looked every bit worth the cost! Finally the resort pictures are awesome and have me plotting! :scratchin

Oh, and wise move on the response after the ticket incidence...just sayin'!! ;):rotfl:

Great TR!

Aulani really is a beautiful resort :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you enjoyed our island home :goodvibes

The traffic from Ko'olina into town is awful, esspecially on the weekdays. For anyone stumped as to what time to book tours in town- I'd suggest booking after 10am. Leave Ko'olina at 9 & you shouldnt have any problem getting there on time & you'll bypass the gridlock :thumbsup2

Not much to say here except that the beauty of the resort is overwhelming. Looks like it's just an amazing place! Thanks for posting all of the pictures.

Wow I was so far behind!! The scuba scooters looked so cool! And the Ranch tour looked every bit worth the cost! Finally the resort pictures are awesome and have me plotting! :scratchin

Oh, and wise move on the response after the ticket incidence...just sayin'!! ;):rotfl:
Keep plotting! If you need any help with Keith, let me know! :lmao:

Great TR!

Aulani really is a beautiful resort :thumbsup2

Glad to hear you enjoyed our island home :goodvibes

The traffic from Ko'olina into town is awful, esspecially on the weekdays. For anyone stumped as to what time to book tours in town- I'd suggest booking after 10am. Leave Ko'olina at 9 & you shouldnt have any problem getting there on time & you'll bypass the gridlock :thumbsup2
Thank you for the kind words. We really enjoyed our visit to your little slice of paradise. :thumbsup2 Yeah, we eventually figured the traffic patterns out but we had reservations already booked so it didn't matter.

Not much to say here except that the beauty of the resort is overwhelming. Looks like it's just an amazing place! Thanks for posting all of the pictures.
You're welcome and it was truly a beautiful place...but the pics aren't finished. Stay tuned!!

How 'bout dem Saints!

(and to think this was the game I was going down to the big easy to see)

Not really sure how I missed that mega picture update. WoW. WoW. WoW. That place is AAAAAAAAAA-MAZING!

I love the 1 BR villa. It is stunning! Everything is just so pretty its hard to believe it could be even prettier in person.

Did you snorkel there? It looks pretty cool, but cold water is so unappealing.

Nice lazy river.

Good Evening saintstickets – I really enjoyed reading your Aulani TR.
We leave for Aulani in a few weeks and we are going to reference your TR to help us on our adventure.
Do the 1 bedroom Aulani villas have a toaster and a blender? Does the Aulani resort have outdoor grills for guest use?
We are southeast neighbors. We live in the western gate to the Sunshine state.
Thanks for making the time to document your trip.

How 'bout dem Saints!

(and to think this was the game I was going down to the big easy to see)
I wish you would have been there my friend. I haven't heard the Dome that loud since you were there during the 2009 playoffs. Words cannot adequately explain to those that have never been to a Saints game how it is in the Dome. There's no place like it. My son and his wife were down from Huntsville, AL for the weekend. Our daughter-in-law had been with us to Saints games before but she had never been down to the French Quarter. We went after the game and I took a few pics...

2012-11-11172223.jpg

P1000961.jpg

2012-11-11172701.jpg

2012-11-11172829.jpg

Those were down at Jackson Square across from Cafe du Monde. Good thing it wasn't Mardi Gras or the pics could've been too "adult" for the DISboards. There's no place like Nawlins!! :rolleyes1

Not really sure how I missed that mega picture update. WoW. WoW. WoW. That place is AAAAAAAAAA-MAZING!

I love the 1 BR villa. It is stunning! Everything is just so pretty its hard to believe it could be even prettier in person.

Did you snorkel there? It looks pretty cool, but cold water is so unappealing.

Nice lazy river.

It really is a beautiful resort. Nope, no snorkeling...especially after my futile attempt at Discovery Cove earlier this year. The water was very warm while we were there so that was not a problem. The lazy river is one of the best we've ever experienced. I wanna go back now! :sad:

Good Evening saintstickets – I really enjoyed reading your Aulani TR.
We leave for Aulani in a few weeks and we are going to reference your TR to help us on our adventure.
Do the 1 bedroom Aulani villas have a toaster and a blender? Does the Aulani resort have outdoor grills for guest use?
We are southeast neighbors. We live in the western gate to the Sunshine state.
Thanks for making the time to document your trip.

Well hiya neighbor! Thanks for the kind words kabrice. I'm glad to have given you some insight to the place. We made the bulk of our plans based on what we read in other TR's here on the DISboards. You are really going to enjoy the place. To answer your question, there is a toaster in the 1br but no blender. The DVC website says there are 4 gas BBQ grills for guest use but we did not see them. It doesn't mean they aren't there though. You can always call the resort.

Great tr ! Were planning on getting married there in 2014 !!!! I love the pictures !

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials! :thumbsup2 You are going to love the place. DD was married in August but delayed their honeymoon until right before Christmas. DD and DSiL are going to Aulani and are really looking forward to it!

I have to put New Orleans on my bucket list. Our Daytona friends actually want to meet us there for a vacation. I know I would love it. It looks so cool!

I have to put New Orleans on my bucket list. Our Daytona friends actually want to meet us there for a vacation. I know I would love it. It looks so cool!

New Orleans is like no other place in the world. The closest by comparison might be Rio. If you can imagine it (and a LOT that you would never imagine :scared1: ), it can be found in NOLA!

Now where was I? Oh yeah...today (Thursday) we switched rooms from a Studio in the Wai’anae Tower to a 1 bedroom in the Ewa Tower. We relaxed by the Wailana pool (quiet pool). Had a few beverages served by a wonderful CM Edwin. Floated the Waikolohe Stream. Relaxed some more and CM Edwin served us some more drinks. It was a very nice day doing nothing. But it was time to start thinking about going to Starlit Hui. Since this is not a traditional luau with food, we had to eat.

A quick trip to our room to shuck the bathing suits and don some dry clothes, we went back downstairs and ate at Aulani's Makahiki buffet. This buffet is fluid in that it will not be the same every time you eat there. It consists of seafood, carving station, Asian-inspired entrees, pasta with chicken done several ways, salads, fruits, desserts, and many other things I know I’m forgetting. The price might seem steep at $43 per person but there is a LOT of food so come hungry and get your money’s worth. If you prefer, you can order from their a la carte menu. We had a bite or two of most everything on the buffet. The items that stand out in my memory were the boiled shrimp, snow crab legs, raw oysters, sashimi, prime rib and the mango cheesecake. Here is a copy of the online menu...

254.jpg

Once we were totally stuffed, we made our way back to the quiet pool to sit at the Wailana pool bar to await the start of Starlit Hui. I don’t remember the CMs name but she was extremely nice. There is an excellent view of Starlit Hui from the bar so DW stayed there and talked to the CM while I meandered around taking pics during the show. We asked the CM questions about Aulani and some of the things she told us were…

Before Labor Day, Aulani was 100% occupied. Starting the week after Labor Day, when we were there, it was 84%.
Normal Hawaii hotel figures show that 17% of guests stay at the hotel for their entire stay. At Aulani, 40% of their guests do not leave the hotel property. That is the reason they are expanding the pools, play area, etc.
Starlit Hui is being moved to a larger grassy area over on the other side of the Ewa Tower to accommodate the crowds. She did not know if the program would be changed to include a luau or not. Looking at the map below, the blue circle is where Starlit Hui was performed up through October, 2012. Now, it will be performed where the red circle is located on the Halawai Lawn. With the move, many in the Ewa Tower will be able to watch from their balcony.
The expansion/construction is scheduled to pause for Christmas and then restart in January. The anticipated completion date is Memorial Day to be ready for the summer rush.

254a.jpg

(Continued in next post)

(Continued from previous post)

It was time for Starlit Hui to begin. As previously stated, DW stayed at the bar while I roamed around taking pictures. Starlit Hui lasts about an hour and I will try to not post all of the 170 pictures I took during the show and keep it to a minimum! And now, on with the show…

As usual, Disney does these things with lots of bells and whistles. These are the control boards for the lighting and music

255.jpg

256.jpg

Uncle – the narrator

257.jpg

Before the show begins, some of the hula dancers come out and select members of the audience to perform as part of the show. Here they are given their lessons and you can get your picture taken too

258.jpg

259.jpg

260.jpg

The show begins with the main performer

261.jpg

Uncle shows us how it’s done

262.jpg

The performers gather in a tent off to the side in the back in preparation for their entrance

263.jpg

And the show

264.jpg

265.jpg

266.jpg

267.jpg

268.jpg

(Continued in next post...again)

(Continued from previous post...again)

Uncle invites those given hula instructions before the show to strut their stuff. Well, he didn’t say that exactly. He said something Hawaiian but you get the gist. (P.S. – don’t worry ladies about the beef cake on the right…there’s more of these guys later on just for you)

269.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

On with the show and as promised for the ladies

274.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

278.jpg

Then the show gets a bit more serious

279.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

(Continued in next post...again part 2)

(Continued from previous post...again part 2)

Light ‘em up Uncle

282.jpg

283.jpg

I’m not sure what is going on here unless their loin cloth is too tight

284.jpg

Don’t ask me what the symbolism here is. I think it was something to do with your money flying out of your wallet but I could be mistaken

285.jpg

After a costume change, she’s back and more of that whatever it is flying wherever it’s going

286.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

Then Uncle introduces the award winning ukulele duo – Heart & Soul (Jody Kamisato and Chris Salvador)

291.jpg

292.jpg

293.jpg

(Continued in next post...again part 3)

(Continued from previous post...again part 3)

The big finale

294.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

297.jpg

298.jpg

299.jpg

300.jpg

301.jpg

302.jpg

But it’s not over yet. Uncle introduces Aunty (of storytelling fame)

303.jpg

Aunty welcomes some familiar faces

304.jpg

305.jpg

306.jpg

307.jpg

And that ladies and gentlemen was Starlit Hui. It’s fun. It’s beautiful. It’s a typical Disney production and best of all, it’s free! Make sure you see Starlit Hui when you visit Aulani. Not much happened after the show. We stuck around the pool bar for another drink and then made our way to the room. We need a good night’s sleep because tomorrow, it’s time to swim with the sharks!

308.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter