• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani this Christmas

NSL

Mouseketeer
I have been watching the Aulani availability from Dec. 23-31 for a while now. It is definitely hit and miss. I booked Dec. 23-24 today (as today was the 7 month mark). I am going to grab what I can from day to day and wait list what I can't get. I already know we will likely have to move multiple times, but if that is what I have to do to go to Hawaii, it is what it is:). My question is what room types are most abundant and least in demand to be more effective with the wait list. I have enough points that I can borrow to be able to book anything from a studio to a standard or garden 2 bedroom. We prefer a 1 bedroom, but will take what we can get. I will keep checking from day to day and pick up a day or two as I can. I was also thinking I would keep the wait list times shorter to be more likely to get something. I also know we will likely have to pay for a couple of days cash. What are your thoughts? Do I have hope in getting close to 7 days on points and only have to pay a day or two cash??? Also, is there a discount on rooms if you are DVC paying cash? TIA!!!

Ocean view 1BRs are the least in demand.

I believe DVC sometimes offers discounts (25%) but the regular discounts offered by Aulani is usually higher (30%), right now the 30% discounts only go through December 19th. Also I would be surprised if any discounted rooms are available for Christmas week.

We went back in December of 2013 and had to do exactly what you are doing.... I think at one point we were moving rooms 3 times. By checking DVC online almost daily I was able to shift things around to ultimately get a one bedroom for 5 nights with a Island/Garden view... and then the first night in an Standard View studio. I will say that the hardest time is going to be the dates right around New Years Eve.... we were just checking in on the 24th and we checked out on the 29th. I kept checking back for New Years Eve and those dates never had an opening.... so if anything those may be the dates you have to do cash. I didn't have the points to do Ocean View.... so you may have more flexibility than I did if you can go for a more points heavy view category.

I will add that even though I waitlisted things, I still checked the DVC site often for shifts and openings and then would call as soon as I saw something. So for sure do the waitlist.... but don't rely on that solely.... be checking in online daily for shifts that can help you lengthen your stay and not have to move as many times.

Last edited:
We went back in December of 2013 and had to do exactly what you are doing.... I think at one point we were moving rooms 3 times. By checking DVC online almost daily I was able to shift things around to ultimately get a one bedroom for 5 nights with a Island/Garden view... and then the first night in an Standard View studio. I will say that the hardest time is going to be the dates right around New Years Eve.... we were just checking in on the 24th and we checked out on the 29th. I kept checking back for New Years Eve and those dates never had an opening.... so if anything those may be the dates you have to do cash. I didn't have the points to do Ocean View.... so you may have more flexibility than I did if you can go for a more points heavy view category.

I will add that even though I waitlisted things, I still checked the DVC site often for shifts and openings and then would call as soon as I saw something. So for sure do the waitlist.... but don't rely on that solely.... be checking in online daily for shifts that can help you lengthen your stay and not have to move as many times.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Right now I have two nights booked in a 1 bedroom Poolside Garden. There is nothing available on the 25th so far. I will try to get another night tomorrow. I have a 1 bedroom ocean view waitlisted from Dec. 23-30. Some of those days are currently available although I can't book them because it is farther than 7 months. I figured since some nights are available that means not many people could be on a waitlist for them. If I looked correctly it seems that category may also have the most inventory. I am trying to play my odds. I will do what you said and check all the time to grab what I can and waitlist what I can't get. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter