Aulani or Grand Californian?

Drewski77

Mouseketeer
My wife and I have been set on buying a 160-200 point contract for the Grand Californian but are wondering if an Aulani resale might make more sense.

We live in the West Coast and would go the Grand most years and Aulani once every 3 or so years. However we will be going to the Grand in off peak times with just the two of us.

We could save quite a bit upfront buying an Aulani resale but would the 7 month window at the Grand be enough to get a room each September? If we need the 11 month window even for off peak times then the decision is an easy one.

This would be our first DVC contract, any input would be great. Thanks!

I live on the West Coast as well. We bought the Aulani three years ago and have used our points
at VGC -- but only by being on the waiting list. We've lucked out there twice. Once for 3 nights
in October and once for four nights mid-April (Sun-Thur/Easter break).

I've never checked a September at seven months out, but I did check this year for August (D23).
IIRC, most of August was booked at seven months. D23 weekend was booked at 11 months out.

It seems almost impossible to get a reservation at the seven month window at VGC for
the times I want to go, though September just might be a slow month with kids going back to school.
I just checked the RAT, and you can get studio/1 bedroom in January. Everything until Jan
is booked.

VGC is one resort where I think it is smart to buy if that is where you want to stay.

I've been watching the Aulani, and it seems to have plenty of availability for most rooms
at seven months. Maybe because it isn't sold out? Right now, you can
still get a week in Oct/Nov/1st half of December at the Aulani -- either Ocean
View Studio or 1 bdrm.

I think supply and demand also play a big part in this decision.

VGC only has 50 rooms:
There are 50 Villas: 48 two-bedroom villas, most of which can be split into a one-bedroom villa and a studio, and two three-bedroom Grand Villas.

Aulani has 460:

"Aulani has 460 DVC Vacation Homes, including 21 three-bedroom Grand Villas and 439 two-bedroom villas.
In addition, 246 of the two-bedroom villas will be configured as 'lock off' 'villas that can be booked as
two-bedroom villas, studios, or one-bedroom villas."

I also suspect Aulani is a bit further to fly for most DVC members -- I venture many DVC
members are from mid to East Coasters...
So I'm thinking it will take a while for Aulani to fill up as compared to other DVC resorts,
at least until it is sold out.

So, IMHO, if VGC is where you want to stay, I'd buy in there.

I'm dreaming of adding on at VGC just so I can guarantee the first weekend in December
for Christmas and Candlelight Procession.... Otherwise, it's back to Candy Cane Inn.

September is lower time for VGC. We were able to stay there last September on our BWV points. We got reservations for January 2016 on our SSR points as well. That said, if you want a studio, they are never easy at 7 months, though members do luck out. We own at VGC because it's never a guarantee and as west coasters with family on Irvine, Southern California is a frequent destination for us. I would choose it over Aulani in your situation.

If you have flexibility to try various dates in Sept you may have very decent luck getting into VGC but personally I'd just buy there since that's where you plan to visit every year. Early June seems to be a little difficult to get into Aulani and Christmas and New years but otherwise I think that most times of the year you should be able to get something there. It's MUCH larger that VGC.

VGC only has 50 rooms:
There are 50 Villas: 48 two-bedroom villas, most of which can be split into a one-bedroom villa and a studio, and two three-bedroom Grand Villas.

Just clarifying that half of the VGC 2brs are dedicated and half are lockoffs. Studios tend to book pretty quickly from my looking experience.

We own at Aulani and just closed on a resale VGC contract. We have stayed at Aulani once (wow!!) and vgc a handful of times. We haven't had trouble getting a 1br right at 7 months, but the studios are often gone. We decided we wanted to own at VGC for the 11 month window, especially as our kids get older and we can't be as flexible.

If you want to stay at GC, then buy GC. As others have said. Availability is just too tight there to leave it to chance

My wife and I have been set on buying a 160-200 point contract for the Grand Californian but are wondering if an Aulani resale might make more sense.

We live in the West Coast and would go the Grand most years and Aulani once every 3 or so years. However we will be going to the Grand in off peak times with just the two of us.

We could save quite a bit upfront buying an Aulani resale but would the 7 month window at the Grand be enough to get a room each September? If we need the 11 month window even for off peak times then the decision is an easy one.

This would be our first DVC contract, any input would be great. Thanks!
I'd agree with buying GC in this situation or possibly both. Even if you bought VGC resale and did a retail smaller add on for HI you'd likely be better off. One consideration would be a fixed week that works for you for Aulani.

We also live in CA, and we own at VGC and are probably at some point going to purchase Aulani points as well. We are going to WDW next May, but want to make the trip once to see if it's worth owning. We've gone to Aulani and know without a doubt we'll be going enough to justify purchasing. VGC was a no brainer because it's only a six hour drive and for a family of six, it's WAY cheaper to drive to LA than fly to east coast, lol, or Hawaii!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter