August No Buy - Let the Fall Savings Begin!

Goal: Save my "fun money" and do something constructive with it! ($40 per week)

8-$0
9-worst spending day ever!lol Discount movie ($15), non discounted lunch and popcorn ($19)
10-no spend day until 5pm when i realized i was out of chicken broth which i had to have for dinner...... =-[ $4.49 for chicken broth and a cake mix
11-$8.01 at Home Goods, $10.2? at Dollar Tree, $5 Hot n Ready Pizza for lunch
12-ice cream with kids-$7.00
13-not good.....iron died, $32.02 at target, lunch with family $42.00
14-Back to school celebration dinner.....$35...Ok time to buckle down!!!!!!
15-$0
16-$13 at Target, $10 for Happy Meals, $12 for dinner (going to 2 open houses and an orientation takes a lot more time than I realized!!!! Next year it's crockpot for dinner the day before school starts!!!)-result....$5 over budget for the day!
17-$0
18-ended up going over budget by $5 at Target...ate lunch and dinner at home tho!!
19-spent $13 on mantle makeover, and lunch
20-three parties:crazy2: $51, but we probably would've spent that on dinner and lunch out anyways..saturday is our eat out day...
21-$0
22-$0 (My first 2 day streak!!)
23-Good no spend day until dinner time...my kids went with my mom and i hate cooking dinner for just 2 people so we grabbed dairy queen -$14.42-and it wasn't even very good:sad2:
24-have to grab a couple things for my husband at dollar tree.....budget is $7!!!!!

8-$0
9-worst spending day ever!lol Discount movie ($15), non discounted lunch and popcorn ($19)
10-no spend day until 5pm when i realized i was out of chicken broth which i had to have for dinner...... =-[ $4.49 for chicken broth and a cake mix
15-$0
16-$13 at Target, $10 for Happy Meals, $12 for dinner (going to 2 open houses and an orientation takes a lot more time than I realized!!!! Next year it's crockpot for dinner the day before school starts!!!)-result....$5 over budget for the day!
17-$0
18-ended up going over budget by $5 at Target...ate lunch and dinner at home tho!!
20-three parties:crazy2: $51, but we probably would've spent that on dinner and lunch out anyways..saturday is our eat out day...
21-$0
23-Good no spend day until dinner time...my kids went with my mom and i hate cooking dinner for just 2 people so we grabbed dairy queen -$14.42-and it wasn't even very good:sad2:
24-$3 over budget at Dollar tree, took daughter and niece to wendy's after church for a frosty and they talked me into splitting a baconator fry with them (OMG sooooo good! possibly the best non-mcdonalds fry i have ever had at a fast food place) bill for 2 frostys, baconator fries and small coke-$4. One day till payday! six days til Disney!

Leave the 31, coming home sept 6!!!!:D Are you worried about the weather?

It should be over by the time we go. It might be gone when you get there, but I bet you see some rain. Still. I like rain at WDW. Cools things off and clears out the crowds!

Got back from a work trip last night, so all my spending for food the last few days is reimbursable and doesn't count. We get a per diem and I spent less than what I get each day, so I actually made about $100. But then yesterday I booked us on a 1 week cruise to Norway for next May. If DH gets the job he interviewed for (still waiting, but seems highly possible), then he won't have enough vacation time for the 3 week cruise we had booked for April. So if we cancel the April cruise, we will get that deposit back and it will be a wash, but I am counting it as a spend since the money will be tied up probably until December when we make final decision if we can go anywhere.

1 - Spend - $25 donation to Oasis
2 - No Spend #1
3 - No Spend #2
4 - No Spend #3
5 - No Spend #4
6 - No Spend #5
7 - Spend - $7 on sewing pattern, $33 on fabric
8 - No Spend #6
9 - No Spend #7
10 - No Spend #8
11 - Spend - $16 on fabric
12 - No Spend #9
13 - No Spend #10
14 - No Spend #11
15 - No Spend #12
16 - No Spend #13
17 - No Spend #14
18 - No Spend #15
19 - No Spend #16
20 - No Spend #17
21 - No Spend #18
22 - No Spend #19
23 - No Spend #20
24 - Spend - $250 on cruise deposit
25 - No Spend - #21

21/22

It should be over by the time we go. It might be gone when you get there, but I bet you see some rain. Still. I like rain at WDW. Cools things off and clears out the crowds!

OOOOO ya! i would rather deal with a steady downpour than high crowds in oppressive heat!!!!!!

Got back from a work trip last night, so all my spending for food the last few days is reimbursable and doesn't count. We get a per diem and I spent less than what I get each day, so I actually made about $100. But then yesterday I booked us on a 1 week cruise to Norway for next May. If DH gets the job he interviewed for (still waiting, but seems highly possible), then he won't have enough vacation time for the 3 week cruise we had booked for April. So if we cancel the April cruise, we will get that deposit back and it will be a wash, but I am counting it as a spend since the money will be tied up probably until December when we make final decision if we can go anywhere.

21/22

Fingers crossed for your husband's job. I wish wish wish I had a per diem! I spend so much less than what is allowed or budgeted most trips.

My dream in life is to have a job with a per diem

I wish wish wish I had a per diem! I spend so much less than what is allowed or budgeted most trips.

I also spend much less than what is provided each day. When I lived alone, it helped cover the cost of a pet sitter for my bird. Now that DH is home with the bird, I get to pocket the difference instead. It is pretty nice. I was in Atlanta and my per diem for breakfast and dinner (lunch was included in conference fees) was $52 each day. I was there for 4 days, but I only spent about $75 on food for the 4 days. I pack Kind bars to eat for breakfast and then find a reasonably priced dinner each night. So I guess I actually pocketed more like $130 this time.

8-$0
15-$0
17-$0
21-$0
24-$3 over budget at Dollar tree, took daughter and niece to wendy's after church for a frosty and they talked me into splitting a baconator fry with them (OMG sooooo good! possibly the best non-mcdonalds fry i have ever had at a fast food place) bill for 2 frostys, baconator fries and small coke-$4. One day till payday! six days til Disney!
25-had a meeting at 1 so i ate lunch out......$5...Payday! today ill be buying material for a project, snacks for disney, and lunch with my sister in law=) Oh well every day can't be a no spend!!! TGIF everyone!!!!!!

DH just got the call with the offer! He will be a programmer analyst at the survey research center at the same University at which I work! His start date is September 12!!! I am beyond happy and excited.

1st - Bought t-shirts from a charity booth at the convention I attended. $60 (but v.v. cool Hackers without Borders tees!)
2nd - $25 - random things at CVS
3rd - $67 - Items I won at a silent auction (money went to two charities to encourage girls in security, the EFF and Hackers without Borders). I'm not even sorry. I got $100 in gift certs to a techie/hacker/security publisher for $40 and a military challenge medal that relates to a local defense contractor for $20 and a great t-shirt for $7.
4th - No buy day #1
5th - $18 thrift store shopping on the road.
6th - $65 - gift for my niece and pet-sitter, half-price books at airport, books on my Kindle.
7th - $45 - Walmart, cheap t-shirt, rugs for the kitchen. $22 - Thrift store shopping: 2 work blouses (wearing one today), 1 pair zip-off nylon North Face hiking pants (go me!), some Fiestaware. $35 - Fitbit chargers. Left my charger for my Fitbit in hotel and tried to kill it in a river while hiking, so need charger for the old fitbit as well. . .why don't they all just take ONE charger?????
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
13th - $15 - Chartreuse sun/rain hat $10 - North Face shorts on e-bay.
14th - $20 1 pair North Face capris, quick dry, and one UA Heatgear shirt - Ebay. Getting ready for September trip to WDW.
15th - I don't want to talk about my spending spree, but that would defeat the purpose. Sent back a purse I bought on Prime day <$75>. $50 - various things I did not need (just wanted) from Amazon.
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8
18th - No buy day #9
19th - No buy day #10
20th - $20 North face shorts and a Heat gear shirt (Ebay). Now I am going to donate some jogging shirts and shorts that are all fuzzy wuzzy to some friends who are gutting their homes post flood. (Wear and toss clothes, basically) $3 - Book on the Coney Island Baby Doctor. ($300 - new luggage, but not really as DH is giving it to me for Christmas)
21st - No buy day #11
22nd - $35 Thrift store shopping. $12 shorts (I forgot I bid on some shorts. Whoops. No more Ebay bidding. No going on the website.)
23rd - $11 - new battery for my old Galaxy S5. I am stretching the life out on this phone as long as I possibly can. $15 - Lunch out
24th - $16 DollarTree, $4 Wendy's for lunch
25th - $15 Subscription to All Trails (had a 50% off coupon). Shed a tear for my old hiking app. . .

Last edited:

8-$0
15-$0
17-$0
21-$0
25-had a meeting at 1 so i ate lunch out......$5...Payday! today ill be buying material for a project, snacks for disney, and lunch with my sister in law=) Oh well every day can't be a no spend!!! TGIF everyone!!!!!!
26-random TGIF spending...kids wanted happy meals...i had lunch with my Sister in Law...but i did cook dinner, which i have done on more fridays during august than ever in my life!!!! yay!!!!!
27-disney grocery shopping (isn't it the best?? i love buying groceries for vacation, it's like fruit snacks and gum instead of potatoes and raw chicken lol) mom kept kids so we ate dinner out (not having kids cut our bill in half!! lol)
28-back to the grocery store....needed ham and drinks for lunches Monday and Tuesday. Ate lunch at grandpa's and dinner at home!!!
29-will spend money for disney....two more days!!!! =)

1st - Bought t-shirts from a charity booth at the convention I attended. $60 (but v.v. cool Hackers without Borders tees!)
2nd - $25 - random things at CVS
3rd - $67 - Items I won at a silent auction (money went to two charities to encourage girls in security, the EFF and Hackers without Borders). I'm not even sorry. I got $100 in gift certs to a techie/hacker/security publisher for $40 and a military challenge medal that relates to a local defense contractor for $20 and a great t-shirt for $7.
4th - No buy day #1
5th - $18 thrift store shopping on the road.
6th - $65 - gift for my niece and pet-sitter, half-price books at airport, books on my Kindle.
7th - $45 - Walmart, cheap t-shirt, rugs for the kitchen. $22 - Thrift store shopping: 2 work blouses (wearing one today), 1 pair zip-off nylon North Face hiking pants (go me!), some Fiestaware. $35 - Fitbit chargers. Left my charger for my Fitbit in hotel and tried to kill it in a river while hiking, so need charger for the old fitbit as well. . .why don't they all just take ONE charger?????
8th - No buy day #2
9th - No buy day #3
10th - No buy day #4
11th - No buy day #5
12th - No buy day #6
13th - $15 - Chartreuse sun/rain hat $10 - North Face shorts on e-bay.
14th - $20 1 pair North Face capris, quick dry, and one UA Heatgear shirt - Ebay. Getting ready for September trip to WDW.
15th - I don't want to talk about my spending spree, but that would defeat the purpose. Sent back a purse I bought on Prime day <$75>. $50 - various things I did not need (just wanted) from Amazon.
16th - No buy day #7
17th - No buy day #8
18th - No buy day #9
19th - No buy day #10
20th - $20 North face shorts and a Heat gear shirt (Ebay). Now I am going to donate some jogging shirts and shorts that are all fuzzy wuzzy to some friends who are gutting their homes post flood. (Wear and toss clothes, basically) $3 - Book on the Coney Island Baby Doctor. ($300 - new luggage, but not really as DH is giving it to me for Christmas)
21st - No buy day #11
22nd - $35 Thrift store shopping. $12 shorts (I forgot I bid on some shorts. Whoops. No more Ebay bidding. No going on the website.)
23rd - $11 - new battery for my old Galaxy S5. I am stretching the life out on this phone as long as I possibly can. $15 - Lunch out
24th - $16 DollarTree, $4 Wendy's for lunch
25th - $15 Subscription to All Trails (had a 50% off coupon). Shed a tear for my old hiking app. . .
26th - $14 - shoes
27th - No buy day #12
28th - $22 shoes, $20 work pants, $20 bluetooth speaker to listen to audible books on my phone while I am in my car.

OK so today is kind the last day of the month for me since we leave for disney tomorrow-I did

4 no spend days in August!!! September's goal will be 5.

Baby steps........

If i don't make it back here before disney have a great rest of the month/week everyone! @snarlingcoyote have a fantastic trip!!!!! we will compare notes next week!!!!!:hippie:

I know it's the end of the month, but this is me committing to joining in for the September no buy. We've a lot of back to school costs that are catching up with us, and we leave in 25 days. So my goal for September is to have 12 no buy days in before we leave on Sept 24. Big goals, I know. But we seriously need them if I want to have less stress about money for this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter