August 2017 Alaskan 5 night Pre-Trip

lovemycatkellar

Earning My Ears
We are the Mike, Melody and Ashley (12). (another family of 3 will be cruising with us)
Just got back from our 3rd Bahamian Dream cruise two weeks ago and ready to plan our first trip on the Wonder to Tracy arm and Ketchikan...

August 1, 2017-Fly into SEATTLE, sight see around town, still looking for hotel
August 2, 2017-Morning Amtrak Train to VANCOUVER (food on train?), Board the Wonder
August 3, 2017 at Sea (cant wait to see things to do different than Dream ship)
August 4, 2017 Tracy Arm, stay on ship probably (worth $?)
August 5, 2017 Ketchican 9am-7:45pm
August 6, 2017 At Sea
August 7, 2017 Disembark, what to do with luggage til train ride at 5:35pm?; train to SEA,
still need to pick SEATTLE hotel
August 8, fly home
August 9th...kiddo starts school, what a way to end Summer!

Anyone have a recent Navigator for this 5 night sailing? Love to plan!

Thoughts....
  • I had to double check the dates.... I see you have chosen the 5 day trip... also research the typical 7 day trips in July to see more of Alaska. The 5 day trip skips my fav ports Juneau and Skagway. Ketchikan is just across the border.
  • you need more days in Vancouver pre/post-cruise. It's a big port with lots to do!
  • hopefully the Tracy Arm ice is clear in August 2017. This year, Tracy Arm was not clear until late August. The Wonder did not see the Sawyer Glacier at all in 2016.

Very exciting!

Disney has never done a 5 night Alaskan cruise so there will be no navigators available to look through. We were originally booked on this cruise but changed to the end of August 7 night.

Very exciting!

Disney has never done a 5 night Alaskan cruise so there will be no navigators available to look through. We were originally booked on this cruise but changed to the end of August 7 night.

Thanks for the heads up! Will look to see some navigators from early summer2017. We are not the only 5 night for 2017.

Thoughts....
  • I had to double check the dates.... I see you have chosen the 5 day trip... also research the typical 7 day trips in July to see more of Alaska. The 5 day trip skips my fav ports Juneau and Skagway. Ketchikan is just across the border.
  • you need more days in Vancouver pre/post-cruise. It's a big port with lots to do!
  • hopefully the Tracy Arm ice is clear in August 2017. This year, Tracy Arm was not clear until late August. The Wonder did not see the Sawyer Glacier at all in 2016.

We didn't know what we were doing when we chose the amount of days. Got giddy just to be going and picked the trip with the lest nights because we didn't want to be away longer than a week with travel before and after.

OK.... post-cruise you can leave your luggage at the cruise terminal. Something $8 a bag for pickup prior to 4pm. Look for the CDS baggage sign next to the car rentals post-customs.

Another option is to get one of those post-cruise tours. Your luggage will travel with you until you are ready at the train station.

Thanks for the heads up! Will look to see some navigators from early summer2017. We are not the only 5 night for 2017.

Actually you are on the ONLY 5 night Alaskan cruise for 2017. All the other cruises are 7 nights, except for the one right before yours, which is 9 nights. DCL did a 9 night itinerary a few years back so I'm not sure if they maybe did a 5 night then as well (I want to say 2014).

I think the strategy with the 9 & 5 day DCL variation is get away from that long weekend congestion in Vancouver. Otherwise that 9 day is statistically the best weather in Alaska.

WOW! The only 5 night. Well, hmmm. Didnt know that. I think it should have at least two stops. Guess I will let them know that when I get that 500 page survey after the cruise, ha!
We are not going for the cruise (can do that cheaper in the Bahamas) but the excursions and it looks like not but one day to do that. And we dont have the time to see more than that one day in Vancouver. Thus my need to plan and know more about what goes on onboard in the filler time between that one day in ketchikan and the rest of the cruise. Will see a Navigator for the 7 day. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!