August 2012 Car Rental Thread

I need i car rental for a week in nyc, anyone any codes or good rates, thanks in advance for any help.

So I checked Advantage today and it gives me a rate for the same car class that is 15 dollars lower than my Alamo reservation. I am not familiar with Advantage and a little hesitant to book with them. Everything was so easy with my Alamo reservation in May that I kind of want to stick with what I am comfortable with.
If it dropped really low I would consider it but I think I am happier paying more with Alamo.

So I checked Advantage today and it gives me a rate for the same car class that is 15 dollars lower than my Alamo reservation. I am not familiar with Advantage and a little hesitant to book with them. Everything was so easy with my Alamo reservation in May that I kind of want to stick with what I am comfortable with.
If it dropped really low I would consider it but I think I am happier paying more with Alamo.

There's NO WAY I'd switch to Advantage (or really most other rental companies) for $15...or for even more savings, really. Being able to use the kiosk (or go straight to the garage) is too important to me. But being able to pick my own car is terrific. I'm really picky about it - my criteria starts with cars from certain manufacturers, then I look for light colored interior (if I'm there when it's hot, which is most of the time!). Then I smell the inside - sometimes the cleaning products they use leave such a strong smell that it literally makes me feel sick! When I find one I like, I start it and turn on the a/c and then start loading it. That is the way I found once that the a/c in my car was not working...not something I would have enjoyed discovering after I'd left the airport.

I've always gotten really good customer service with Alamo and National, too. Once I had a car from Alamo and when I arrived at the resort I realized that the floor mat was soaked with something (seemed to be water) because the back of my pants leg was wet from the cuff to about mid-calf. Inconvenient but no biggie. When I returned the car they asked how everything was and I said it was fine, then remembered the mat and offhandedly mentioned it. Not in a mad way, not really complaining, just "oh, this happened." They knocked $25 off my final price without another word.

There's NO WAY I'd switch to Advantage (or really most other rental companies) for $15...or for even more savings, really. Being able to use the kiosk (or go straight to the garage) is too important to me. But being able to pick my own car is terrific. I'm really picky about it - my criteria starts with cars from certain manufacturers, then I look for light colored interior (if I'm there when it's hot, which is most of the time!). Then I smell the inside - sometimes the cleaning products they use leave such a strong smell that it literally makes me feel sick! When I find one I like, I start it and turn on the a/c and then start loading it. That is the way I found once that the a/c in my car was not working...not something I would have enjoyed discovering after I'd left the airport.

I've always gotten really good customer service with Alamo and National, too. Once I had a car from Alamo and when I arrived at the resort I realized that the floor mat was soaked with something (seemed to be water) because the back of my pants leg was wet from the cuff to about mid-calf. Inconvenient but no biggie. When I returned the car they asked how everything was and I said it was fine, then remembered the mat and offhandedly mentioned it. Not in a mad way, not really complaining, just "oh, this happened." They knocked $25 off my final price without another word.
Thanks Tara. You've confirmed what I was leaning towards. When we went in May the lines were ridiculous at the counter but we were able to walk straight to the Kiosk, pick our car, and were on our way in 15 minutes.
Also you are right, being able to pick your vehicle is priceless. We're booked in a full-size for this trip for 5 of us, and we really need the Impala because of the trunk space. I'm pretty certain there will be a ton of Impalas in the full-size aisle.
So thanks again, I won't be switching.:thumbsup2

I will only use Alamo. We have used them since our honeymoon back in '91, when you had to take a shuttle to their building a mile or two away.

They have always given us great customer service and the prices are always better then anyone else.

I don't even think about renting from anyone else.

J

Just scored a full size rental from Avis (MCO airport) for 10 days, 8/18-8/28, for $10/day bidding on Priceline. Total came to $187.

Hi everyone I'm going crazy wth all these different car rental prices!! I'm not sure if I got a good deal please help! We are picking up a mid size SUV in NJ, driving to Florida, and keeping the car for 14 days. The total price is $492 with Alamo please tell me tell me if this a good deal. Thanks if it matters our dates are 8/11-8/25 thanks a bunch!!

I just checked Dollar and can get a full-size for 11 days for 173.
Still sticking with Alamo but it's getting harder.

checked overall prices today...yikes:scared: throught the roof, but will keep checking everyday until we leave next week.:rolleyes1

I just checked Dollar and can get a full-size for 11 days for 173.
Still sticking with Alamo but it's getting harder.

I hesitate to post on this topic because of where I work, but, just a FYI. Dollar and Thrifty share ONE row on each side of the airport. That means, one row, two sides(not a lot of cars or selection). They assign your car, you do not get to select it. No kiosk, counter only.
Advantage, owned by Hertz. Not sure of the set up, but, they also assign your car, no selection by you. No Kiosk, counter check in.
Personally, I don't care (not meant in a nasty way) who you rent from, but, I would like you to be aware of your options.

I hesitate to post on this topic because of where I work, but, just a FYI. Dollar and Thrifty share ONE row on each side of the airport. That means, one row, two sides(not a lot of cars or selection). They assign your car, you do not get to select it. No kiosk, counter only.
Advantage, owned by Hertz. Not sure of the set up, but, they also assign your car, no selection by you. No Kiosk, counter check in.
Personally, I don't care (not meant in a nasty way) who you rent from, but, I would like you to be aware of your options.

Unless things have changed since April, you DO get to select your car at Dollar. We had rented a full size, went to the appropriate aisle and had our choice of some pretty well beaten Crown Victorias or newer Altimas. We took the Altima.

(Just double checked my reservation from then to ensure it was Dollar).

This is my first time renting a car in 11 years. We went with dollar and did the online registration. We still have to pay for it. Will there be signs that indicate where to go once I get my bags? Would it be easier to send DH to get my bags and me to get the car....by easier, I mean faster....I want to get to Disney asap:):drive:

Unless things have changed since April, you DO get to select your car at Dollar. We had rented a full size, went to the appropriate aisle and had our choice of some pretty well beaten Crown Victorias or newer Altimas. We took the Altima.

(Just double checked my reservation from then to ensure it was Dollar).

Not sure if they changed or not, but every single person I direct to Dollar or Thrifty (apparently reading signs is not something anyone does anymore) has a rental contract and the location of their vehicle. Also, I am asked a bunch where a certain parking space for Dollar/thrifty is, so, that would lead me to believe the vehicles are preassigned. If I run across my friend who works for Dollar, I will ask her and get back to update.

Thank you gmeh1,

I loved Alamo, and will stick with them. We're trying to stay under a certain budget for this trip so it gets tempting when I see a lower rater, but I haven't switched.:)

Thank you gmeh1,

I loved Alamo, and will stick with them. We're trying to stay under a certain budget for this trip so it gets tempting when I see a lower rater, but I haven't switched.:)

You are most welcome. I do understand about budgets and having some wiggle room. And I most certainly understand about temptation. LOL.
Have a GREAT trip.

Anyone have any more info on the T Code? Almost too good to be true. 8/14-8/20 is $262 for a mini van. Any membership/code associated with it. Just would hate to check in and find that the code is bogus. Thanks for the help. MDM

Anyone have any more info on the T Code? Almost too good to be true. 8/14-8/20 is $262 for a mini van. Any membership/code associated with it. Just would hate to check in and find that the code is bogus. Thanks for the help. MDM

We just picked up a minivan using this code in ft Myers fl yesterday.....we tried to use the Kiosk check in but couldn't ...so we had to,use the counter.....the girl there looked at the code .....said it was a German code and had to ask if it was ok......she came back and honored it.....but I would not use,it again unless I was able to bypass the counter...too stressful waiting for her to come back.....I did have a back up reservation with national so if it didn't work we would have gone there....not sure if the Orlando,airport would have been different since the volume of,rentals there is much higher than ft Myers

Yeah sort of wanted a stress free vacation....not the best way to start it by using a code that might not work.... Thanks MDM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter