~ Aug 2013~ Sew what... We've gotta find a way back! Part I!!

First, I have to start off by saying... This was all Marianne's idea. She approached me this summer, shortly after my return from Charlotte. She wanted me to design a DSLR insert to fit into my existing UPB, however, because my UPB is designed and constructed to lay flat against your body - there was just no way for me to design an insert, and have it fit inside the UPB.

Which led me to... Designing a whole new bag to fit a DSLR insert. :thumbsup2

I got a lot of invaluable feedback from both Marianne and Mo - I really couldn't have designed this bag with out either of their input. Mo spent hours photographing her favorite camera bags for me. Both Marianne and Mo sent me their camera and accessory measurements... Because I won't officially have a camera to test it out with until after Christmas. :scratchin This was just a HUGE group effort project, that I couldn't have done with out either of them.

Now, on to the bag.

I also did a lot of my own reasearch... Lots of Google/Pinterest/Etsy searches to see what was out there for Camera bags... The one thing I found was that they were all boxy. I don't like boxy. Yes, I see the reasoning behind this, however, boxy is NOT feminine - and I wanted a feminine bag.

So, this bag is based off of a few of my favorite bags... Most predominately the VB Saddle-Up... It's a nice side carrying bag that has the girth to allow for large items to be stowed away. There were a few things that I didn't like about this bag, however, so I modified them.

First off, this bag is bigger - not by a lot - but by a bit... Mostly, it's wider in it's girth, to accomodate a DSLR.

Secondly, I added exterior side pockets... That way, you have a place to store your (very important) lens cleaning cloth, and also your lens cap. There is a side pocket on each side.

Thirdly, I also added a zippered pocket to the back of this bag... I am a firm believer, especially in the parks, there should always be a seperate pocket for a wallet... I love my Alli to death - but she is sometimes hasty and clumsy - I could see her walking through the parks, pulling out her camera, having her wallet tangled in her camera strap, and her wallet going flying on the ground - and she wouldn't notice. Therefore, seperate zippered pocket for the wallet. :thumbsup2

Fourth (ly? Eh, don't think that's a word?) I added a zipper to the main compartment. Now, adding the zipper does make this bag a bit different to carry, and normally I wouldn't do this. However, camera gear is expensive - very expensive, and again - I could see Alli being in a rush, and something mistakenly falling out of her bag. I don't expect her to use this zipper all the time, however - say, riding the bus, to and from the resort, usually no need for easy camera access... It's times like this that a zipper would add some much needed peace of mind. :thumbsup2

Lastly, I made the strap wider... Not by much, but DSLRs and gear can get heavy - the adjustable quilted strap that's a bit wider will certainly help distribute the load.

Lots of thought went into this bag... As a side note... I did not line this bag with foam - which is the norm. I have a few reasons for this, and maybe they aren't good ones, but... My first reason, um, I can't quilt through foam. ::yes:: My second reason, the only way to get a foam lined bag to look feminine, is to get rid of the foam. ::yes:: And my final (possibly most important) reason, I wanted this bag to be light, and easy to carry, too many people go into the parks as a pack mule - this is designed to be an "easy going" bag... You know, designed to be big enough to carry the necessities, but not so big that your are carrying a huge tri-pod on your back all day long... If that is what you are wanting to do, this bag is not for you. :confused3

Oh, and for the record... There is no spot in this bag (especially the inner most compartment) that has less then 4 layers of quilting between the interior and exterior of the bag. For that matter, the very outside sides and bottom are quilted with double batting.

One last thing... This bag is not based on a character theme of any sort... I want my 14 y/o to carry it, and hopefully use it as her main camera bag - even when we aren't in WDW... Therefore, I made it really boring on the outside (yet girly), and I made it fun on the inside. There is nothing on the outside that tells you what fun is on the inside though. :thumbsup2

So, there you have it... Are you ready to see the pictures yet?

Starting with the most interior insert... This is rectangluar. It is designed to hold the camera body with the kit lens attached (or same size/smaller).

IMG_9394.jpg

The side of this insert has one pocket... This is a small pocket, designed to hold a memory card or two in a safe location.

IMG_9393.jpg

Now, this is the main insert... The above insert is designed to sit inside of this. This insert is made with an intigrated handle... Now, I definately would not use this as a stand alone bag - it looks like it would be cute as that, but structurally - it is not designed for that. The handles are made to pluck it out of one bag and into another - that's all.

IMG_9395.jpg

I positioned the soft part of the Velcro right in the center of this insert, that way, if you choose not to use the other insert - you don't have to, but if you do, you can position it within here for good location to fit your gear.

IMG_9396.jpg

Right now, I have the little insert centered inside the big insert:

IMG_9397.jpg

And the bag...

Here is the main exterior front - it is a bit hard to see from this picture, but the bottom is slightly rounded:

IMG_9402.jpg

And the back (with the above mentioned pocket)

IMG_9400.jpg

Isn't the lining cute???

IMG_9401.jpg

Lifting the main flap to show the rest of the bag...

IMG_9403.jpg

The two huge quilted pockets under the flap:

IMG_9404.jpg

Looking down into one of them:

IMG_9409.jpg

The main compartment zippered closed with the insert inside:

IMG_9405.jpg

Open with the insert inside:

IMG_9406.jpg

My only annoyance with this particular bag, the lining seems to be huge... I am not sure how that happened - but it will be modified with the next bag.

Interior of the bag with one quilted slip in pocket:

IMG_9408.jpg

The interior pockets are strategically placed to provide the most maximum protection all around the bag.

This bag can be carried with out the insert inside as well. I love the shape of it.

The only thing I did not add to this bag, but could add if someone wanted it, is PUL fabric inside the main flap for some water protection. This would not protect your gear in a down pour, however, it would give you enough protection to run a very short distance to cover - or put a poncho on over you and your gear.

So, that's it... :crazy2: I am very happy to be done with this prototype in time for Christmas. ::yes::

D~ <--- Please ignore the lint encrusted bag... I did lint roll it, but the black fabric I used is notorious for attracting lint.

LOVE this bag!

My silly DIL asked me to make her a camera bag for Christmas..I declined. I said I would wait for yours and maybe get her one next year. (I know where my talents lie...and this ain't it! LOL

Beautiful....

Nini

you said AG came out in 1986 when I was in 6 th grade....... then I started doing the math & guessing you were 11 it would have you right in the of my 2 daughters 1st born '74
2 nd born '76

right now I feel like Sophia of thr Golden Girls !!!!!!
:faint:

I don't know an DSLR camera, but I still love that bag! I just love all the organization! It's a winner D~. :thumbsup2

this is perfect most bags are too big or too small I love to do the parks

hands free & hate having ro stuff impt need right away things in shirt or pants pockets The seperate compartments and esp the back zippered area solves so many wants/ needs

Bravo well done AND feminine :-)

I think the DSLR bag is perfect. And the outside fabric is not boring at all. I think it is very classy.

The outside of the bag is not boring, it matches all my work cups/mugs. They are black and white (or clear) and have that type of pattern. That's so when I leave them somewhere, everybody will know who it belongs to.

The bag is great, though. One can never have too many compartments or pockets.

We must be the same age because I was in 6th grade in 1986 as well.

I LOVE the camera bag and am now going to BEG my husband to let me get one designed by you although sadly I know it won't be before our next Disney trip.

:worship: The bag looks great. I love that the lining fabrics add a bit of color but think that this will a wonderful bag for Alli to use with or with out her camera on a regular basis. I imagine that the bag looks even better in real life. I love the idea of the zipper on the main part of the bag because it gives you the option so you can secure your stuff when you are going to take the bag off. Great for rides too! Not having the foam is nice too because I think you will have better results if you need to wash it. The water-proof lining is a good idea but I always just keep a big zip lock in my camera bag for pop up storms and rides on Splash Mountain. I it nice that you got some great input on this bag because you did an amazing job creating something that is attractive, protective and useful.

And you are an expert with bias tape. :worship: I am pathetic when trying to work with it. I thought it was because I was trying to make my own but I was a fail with the store bought bias tape too. I guess if I wasn't so lazy I could do a better job pinning before sewing but that is too much work for me. :rotfl:

So, now I have to wait until after Christmas to see what Alli is getting to go with her new bag.......

Ariana - you have so many cute Pluto items. I love the "Talk to the Paw" and the "bling" Pluto. So many fun things. Thanks for sharing pluto:

I love the bag!! You did a really great job on it! What are the bags dimensions? (sorry if you wrote them out and I missed it)

I think with all the quilted layers in this bag, you really don't need any foam in it. Its a very nice camera bag! I can tell that lots of thought went into it. BTW - I love bags with lots of pockets. I made a bag for our last trip to WDW last year and added lots of extra pockets. Decided the bag just was not quite large enough, so I'm making a new one for our trip in the fall. I really needed a pocket for a water bottle, so I want to be sure to add that in too.

I did get several complements on my bag and several people asked me where I bought it. It was just a Simplicity pattern, but I made it with Mickey fabric and added a button trim (think hidden mickeys).

I'm thinking I might try an applique on my new bag. Just need to decide what to applique....

you said AG came out in 1986 when I was in 6 th grade....... then I started doing the math & guessing you were 11 it would have you right in the of my 2 daughters 1st born '74
2 nd born '76

:faint:

You are not allowed to do the math!!!

My oldest was born in 77 and my youngest was born in 01.... So I guess that makes me Mom as well...or maybe younger aunt....

Nini

My oldest was born in '72 and my youngest in '92 , I feel a bit like Sophia or perhaps Grandma Moses!!

Love all the AG dolls! We must have about twenty. I was very depressed when my baby out grew them. Ruth

Sorry everyone, replies will be very short this morning, since I have to work at Target and we are also in a Winter Storm Warning - Blizzard warning to the counties just south of us. :(

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

D~ Thanks for letting me thread jack, I love showing off my Pluto collection to people who actually appreciate it. I think most people outside of Disney lovers think I'm a little nuts. :lmao:

Glad you had a great day yesterday and can't wait to see pictures later today. popcorn::

That's wonderful that you have four days off for Christmas. I'm extremely spoiled at my work. They give us three days for Christmas so I have 24th - 26th off. Unfortunately this Friday I have to drive about an hour and 1/2 away for a class. :scared: Not looking forward to that!

That is awesome that you get that many days off for Christmas. :thumbsup2

LOVE this bag!

My silly DIL asked me to make her a camera bag for Christmas..I declined. I said I would wait for yours and maybe get her one next year. (I know where my talents lie...and this ain't it! LOL

Beautiful....

Nini

Thank you Nini. :) I am sure you could make a bag if you try.

This is amazing!!! Type more in a minute

:)

2 nd born '76

LOL You are very close. :thumbsup2

I don't know an DSLR camera, but I still love that bag! I just love all the organization! It's a winner D~. :thumbsup2

Thanks Suzi!

this is perfect most bags are too big or too small I love to do the parks

hands free & hate having ro stuff impt need right away things in shirt or pants pockets The seperate compartments and esp the back zippered area solves so many wants/ needs

Bravo well done AND feminine :-)

Thanks Ruthie!

I think the DSLR bag is perfect. And the outside fabric is not boring at all. I think it is very classy.

Thank you Ariana!

The bag looks great :cool1:

Thanks Lillian!

The outside of the bag is not boring, it matches all my work cups/mugs. They are black and white (or clear) and have that type of pattern. That's so when I leave them somewhere, everybody will know who it belongs to.

The bag is great, though. One can never have too many compartments or pockets.

LOL Thanks Ruth!

We must be the same age because I was in 6th grade in 1986 as well.

I LOVE the camera bag and am now going to BEG my husband to let me get one designed by you although sadly I know it won't be before our next Disney trip.

Thank you! We must be very close in age.

:worship: The bag looks great. I love that the lining fabrics add a bit of color but think that this will a wonderful bag for Alli to use with or with out her camera on a regular basis. I imagine that the bag looks even better in real life. I love the idea of the zipper on the main part of the bag because it gives you the option so you can secure your stuff when you are going to take the bag off. Great for rides too! Not having the foam is nice too because I think you will have better results if you need to wash it. The water-proof lining is a good idea but I always just keep a big zip lock in my camera bag for pop up storms and rides on Splash Mountain. I it nice that you got some great input on this bag because you did an amazing job creating something that is attractive, protective and useful.

And you are an expert with bias tape. :worship: I am pathetic when trying to work with it. I thought it was because I was trying to make my own but I was a fail with the store bought bias tape too. I guess if I wasn't so lazy I could do a better job pinning before sewing but that is too much work for me. :rotfl:

So, now I have to wait until after Christmas to see what Alli is getting to go with her new bag.......

Thank you Liz! I do make my own bias tape... I think the kind I make is much easier to work with than the store bought. I don't pin for the first part, only the last part. :thumbsup2

Ariana - you have so many cute Pluto items. I love the "Talk to the Paw" and the "bling" Pluto. So many fun things. Thanks for sharing pluto:

I agree!

The bag looks awesome...great job!

Thanks Kathy!

I love the bag!! You did a really great job on it! What are the bags dimensions? (sorry if you wrote them out and I missed it)

Thanks... Hmmmm... Approx 13" wide x 9" tall? That's a rough estimate off the top of my head... I know the width is pretty close, just not sure about the height.

I think with all the quilted layers in this bag, you really don't need any foam in it. Its a very nice camera bag! I can tell that lots of thought went into it. BTW - I love bags with lots of pockets. I made a bag for our last trip to WDW last year and added lots of extra pockets. Decided the bag just was not quite large enough, so I'm making a new one for our trip in the fall. I really needed a pocket for a water bottle, so I want to be sure to add that in too.

I did get several complements on my bag and several people asked me where I bought it. It was just a Simplicity pattern, but I made it with Mickey fabric and added a button trim (think hidden mickeys).

I'm thinking I might try an applique on my new bag. Just need to decide what to applique....

Thanks! That is awesome - I am glad that you got so many comments on your bag. Applique is fun!

You are not allowed to do the math!!!

My oldest was born in 77 and my youngest was born in 01.... So I guess that makes me Mom as well...or maybe younger aunt....

Nini

LOL ;)

I love the new bag!!! I am drooling over this to carry my camera.

Thanks!

My oldest was born in '72 and my youngest in '92 , I feel a bit like Sophia or perhaps Grandma Moses!!

Love all the AG dolls! We must have about twenty. I was very depressed when my baby out grew them. Ruth

Thanks Ruth... :thumbsup2

OK... Busy day in the sewing room yesterday... Finished the bag, as you all know. Then I made Alli a cute coordinating camera strap. Then I started on V's gift.

Today is a Target day... :crazy2:

I am also starting my December auction this morning. :)

Hopefully the roads are ok when I get off of work. We always have visibility issues in our area - and our main hwy is notorious for drifting closed... Hopefully I make it home OK. I always worry, I have had some very scary close calls.

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

D~

You are welcome! I enjoy showing it off.

D~ - Have a good day at work and be careful driving home. I used to live in Erie, PA and I hated driving in the snow. Oh, and good luck with the auction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts