Attention, New York Dis'ers

Missy1961

Knows who did it and why
Temporary Sales and Use Tax Exemption on Clothing, Footwear,and Items Used to Make or Repair Exempt Clothing (One-week exemption period - August 31, 2004, through Labor Day, September 6, 2004)

As announced on July 2, 2004, in TSB-M-04(4)S, Sales Tax on Clothing and Footwear Remains in Effect until October 1, 2004, clothing, footwear, and items used to make or repair clothing continue to be subject to New York State and local sales taxes until October 1, 2004. However, clothing and footwear and items used to make or repair exempt clothing, costing less than $110 per item or pair, are exempt from New York State sales and use taxes when purchased during the one-week exemption period beginning on Tuesday, August 31, 2004, and ending on Labor Day, Monday, September 6, 2004. The one-week exemption does not apply to locally imposed sales and use taxes unless the county or city imposing those taxes elected the exemption.

In other words, no state sales tax on clothing items worth less than $110. You will have to check if your county has also elected to go along with it. For example, Nassau County (where I live) usually doesn't go along with this, so I pay Nassau County tax. But at least we'll save a few bucks. It's a great time to stock up on the essentials--socks, etc.

Wow!

We get state tax exemption for the same type things in Iowa too...but only for 2 or 3 days (a week or so before school starts).

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

My son attends a public school, but they have a mandatory uniform policy. My son has out grown EVERYTHING. I have to buy white shirts, gray pants, sweaters, vest, a blazer, gym shorts, sweat pants, black dress shoes and white sneakers.
I had planned to go shopping this weekend, but I'll wait until next week.

Now if I could just get a discount on the patches, ties, and gym shirts I have to buy the school I'd be set.
:moped: :scratchin

Originally posted by disneyjunkie
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

My son attends a public school, but they have a mandatory uniform policy. My son has out grown EVERYTHING. I have to buy white shirts, gray pants, sweaters, vest, a blazer, gym shorts, sweat pants, black dress shoes and white sneakers.
I had planned to go shopping this weekend, but I'll wait until next week.

Now if I could just get a discount on the patches, ties, and gym shirts that I have to buy from the school, I'd be set.
:moped: :scratchin

Hello,
I also live in Nassau county, I live in Westbury, and I am looking forward to that tax free shopping to stock up. thanks for letting us know.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Why would you go from NJ (no sales tax on clothing to begin with) to NY to shop? I always though that the New Yorkers came over to NJ to shop for clothing to avoid sales tax?

Originally posted by Amirah95
All of NJ will be over there as we are every year. :)

Jersey pays no sales tax on clothes. When I go into the city, I try to shop only at the stores that we don't have here. BTW, if anyone lives near the Jackson Outlets, Gap, is having a great sale, 40% off on pratically everything in the store..

I'll be in Manhattan next weekend. I'll have to check out the shopping! For any locals, is a trip down to Century 21 worth it? Looks like good bargain hunting, but having never been to NYC, I could use advise from the experts.

Originally posted by mcorbo
Why would you go from NJ (no sales tax on clothing to begin with) to NY to shop? I always though that the New Yorkers came over to NJ to shop for clothing to avoid sales tax?

I was wondering the same thing... :confused:

I cant fathom shopping in NYC because there is 50 hours of traffic and a gazillion dollars tolls to get to the place where everything costs more before the TAX!

well almost everything - the street vendors have GUCII bags for 2$ and Rollex watches for 10$ :)

Century 21 is a great store. I use to go to the one in brooklyn all the time. I haven't been to the one in Manhattan, but I think it lower Manhattan, near Wall St. If your going to head to mid town, try H & M store, great clothes at bargain prices. Also, Conway, there across the street from Macy's. It hit or miss there, but if you hit it right, they have great bargains too. If your going uptown on 5th Ave., where all the designer stores are, don't forget your bank book.

Ishy, just take the Holland and park in a deck in China Town. After that if you want to get over to the West side just take a cab. I find a lot of deal over there. The toll is $6 and the cab $10.00 for a cab ride, if going to the West Side is necessary.

Anybody familiar with the city knows how to get around.

But you did prove my point, it will cost you to shop. I much rather run out to the reading outlets in PA.

Yeah, it can cost ya a little. But the drive out to PA from Short Hills is a bit much. I guess it's wherever you are in NJ determine where to go for deals. I don't go out to NYC as much as I used to and when I was out there a lot I loved being there. I think that's my real deal.

Your actually closer then me to the Reading outlets. - I used to live up by you, I still work there, but I am down the shore now. Its so worth a day trip out to the outlets - I have never been able to do the entire place - I tend to get stuck in the Lee/wrangler/liz wear stores :)

DKNY - cheaper in PA :)

I have not been there this year - will probably stop there on my way home from visiting Lancaster in the fall - so beautiful there.

I'm in Suffolk and our County participates so there is zero sales tax. I hit TJ Max and Marshall's today and got DS a few name brand things (Polo, Nautica) and it was nice to get such a great deal AND not pay sales tax!!

There is also a Children's Place coupon floating around that is printable and good for 15% off your entire purchase, so with the sales tax savings on top of the coupon, you could do pretty well in there. They have a lot of uniform gear. Here is the coupon:

http://www.childrensplace.com/webap...cm_cat=082604&cm_ite=NonStoreLink&cm_pla=FL2A

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter