Attendance after January 1?

MickeyDee

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know if the first week of January is typically still very busy? I understood from a couple of sources that after New Year's it dies down, but a friend of my gf's tipped her off that this week is the WORST time to go. I'm talking January 2 - 5. Anyone have any insight?

The crowds subside a lot by the 2nd, but it takes to about the 5th for the parks to be dead.

It all depends on when Chistmas vacations end for schools around the country. This year, many schools didn't start back from Christmas vacation until 1/8, so the parks were still very busy until then (we were there from 1/4 to 1/10, and there was a marked difference in crowd levels after the 7th). I believe this coming holiday, since Christmas and New Years day are on Tuesdays, lots of schools won't start back until AFTER the first weekend in January (Jan 7th).

The Disney Marathon is also usually the first weekend in January. The parks aren't affected too much, but the resorts fill up with Marathoners and their families. The Marathon will be held the second weekend of January in 2008- 1/10 to 1/13.

It all depends on when Chistmas vacations end for schools around the country. This year, many schools didn't start back from Christmas vacation until 1/8, so the parks were still very busy until then (we were there from 1/4 to 1/10, and there was a marked difference in crowd levels after the 7th). I believe this coming holiday, since Christmas and New Years day are on Tuesdays, lots of schools won't start back until AFTER the first weekend in January (Jan 7th).

The Disney Marathon is also usually the first weekend in January. The parks aren't affected too much, but the resorts fill up with Marathoners and their families. The Marathon will be held the second weekend of January in 2008- 1/10 to 1/13.

Yup. It definitely depends on what day Jan 1st falls. We went Jan 2, 2005 and the parks were dead by Jan 4th. However, that year, Jan 1st fell on a Saturday. So most schools started back up the following Monday/Tuesday.

MomofKatie is probably right about Jan 2008. If you could postpone your vacation one more week, I would. But.......then you would miss out on all the Christmas decorations.

We would totally postpone, but I have to be back at school on the 8th, myself, as I'm a teacher! lol

And I really do want to see those decorations!

Hi, We were there Jan1-8/07 and had a great time. The crowds were steady but not crazy. We got a great spot for Spectromagic at about 45 min. before the parade. We sat right on the curb in front of Tony's. The longest wait we had was 45 min. for Pirates. Get there early and use fast passes. The weather was beautiful for us, we were lucky this year. The decorations and music also were beautiful. Have a wonderful vacation.

When do the holiday decorations come down in January?

What is the weather like in January (on average)? Shorts & t-shirts during the day or jeans & sweatshirts?

When do the holiday decorations come down in January?

What is the weather like in January (on average)? Shorts & t-shirts during the day or jeans & sweatshirts?

When we were there in '06 I want to say they came down on the 7th or 8th. So bummed because this year we don't arrive til the 8th. I think the Osborne lights at MGM are coming down on the 6th, FWIW.

Oh, as for the weather, the first day we were there (NYD) it was HOT for us New Englanders as we were a little over-dressed not thinking about the climate difference. Next trip I'm definitely going to wear lighter pants instead of jeans and a t-shirt under a longsleeved shirt. Our last day we needed to wear a light jacket and some of those stretchy gloves in the morning. The afternoon warmed up nicely.

Does anyone know if the first week of January is typically still very busy? I understood from a couple of sources that after New Year's it dies down, but a friend of my gf's tipped her off that this week is the WORST time to go. I'm talking January 2 - 5. Anyone have any insight?

We have been there twice at this time and thought it was great-until we got in the middle of the Disney Marathon, which I believe is the first full weekend in January. We now go the third week of January and it was not crowded at all!! We loved it and are planning to go back again next January!!!:cool1:

We were there this year from Jan2-13th. The first few days were crowded but it got so much better around the 5th or so. The marathon was the 6th & 7th and we only noticed a difference in those mornings. After that weekend everything was really much quieter.
And the decorations were up until almost the end of our stay- it was a bit ridiculous to hear Christmas musis for so long, but oh well.

We were there this year Jan 1-6 and it was too busy in my opinion. I couldn't BELIEVE The number of people I saw at AK one day. It was nuts. We came off the Christmas holiday with people who were still hanging around and went right into the marathon crowds.

I think this coming year the marathon is the 2nd weekend, isn't it - if so, that first week near the end might not be so bad.

We prefer right after Thxgiving when its quite slow- and that's when we are going back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter